• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Grab Momentum?

Jamaz

Smash Rookie
I've tried practicing myself to try to notice the difference, how you can start running forward, shield, and push A to grab and you should have a farther range of grabbing.

I didn't notice this significantly in practice mode though; it seems whenever my guy shields he stops in place or doesn't move far enough to see. I do notice the momentum mechanic for running forward, turning around, and doing back-airs with the forward momentum though, just not with the shield.

Is shielding momentum really just incredibly small or am I missing something? Something to do with Wifi lag/no lag? Also wanted to know if the turn-around grab only works after you passed your opponent (as in you can never grab someone in front of you with the improved hit-box momentum).

Garde

Smash Ace
Actually, momentum isn't conserved when you turn backwards and jump into the air from a run. They took out running/dashing jump momentum entirely. You can test it by doing a standing jump forward, and running jump forward, and a standing jump backward. If you jump from exactly the same spot, you'll travel the exact same amount of distance.

This is also pretty apparent when playing characters with very fast run speeds, as when they lift into the air their speed is reduced drastically.

Top Bottom