• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield drops

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Hey all!
I'm learning the shield drop and I'm wondering about the options out of a shield drop.
The absolute best I can think of is platform cancelled Nair under shield pressure, but I'm not sure if it's humanly possible. Can anyone actually do it? The best I can do currently is Fair if I'm facing my opponent, but it only does like 4%.
If pressured by a Marth beneath, Nair or Dair are probably the best options.
All ideas are welcome!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I envisioned doing shield drop nairs for the sole purpose of baffling utilting Marths. However I never got around to practicing them =[ Maybe soon. My new controller is a lot better at shield dropping then my last one so maybe I'll work on it more.

Litt

Samus
I go for sheild drop, platform fall, fast fall upair, against marths

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Samus has some pretty terrible options out of sheild drop if the person is coming down with an aerial from above.

Seems like DJ nair is pretty good as well as just getting away. Uair seems fine too I guess.

Litt

Samus
if someone is coming with an aerial from above, the choices really are.... jump to hit them before the aerial comes out... most likely going to be an upair or a nair... shield take the attack and up b OoS, or shield drop wait for the aerial to finish, and bair, nair, dair or upair, or shield drop go away from their, and do a rising fair to their side

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Is her shield dropping harder than other characters? I'm able to running shield drop and standing shield drop with falcon pretty consistently, but Sami seems to spot dodge more often than dropping for me.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
You should do what plup does and light shield into shield drops. You have a lot of options. Nair, fair, bair, charged shot, missile, etc. Hell, even uair or dair would have some application in specific circumstances. You shouldn't limit your options, it all depends on the situation.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
AI ~ Shield drop is ridiculous it's so fast she doesn't even look like she lands on the platform. Way faster than WL shield drop.

Litt

Samus
Is her shield dropping harder than other characters? I'm able to running shield drop and standing shield drop with falcon pretty consistently, but Sami seems to spot dodge more often than dropping for me.
You are talking about Shai dropping, sheild dropping does not mean using your shield to drop, but rather staying in shield and angling your control stick to drop through while in shield. Shai dropping refers to dropping through a platform, in one of the 4 possible ways to shai drop, with pressing down and then frame 2 light shield, bringing it down to one of the bottom left or right pegs the light shielding, ect... but there are differences and you should learn them instead of just saying shield drop for everything.

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
Shield drop to bomb is actually a fairly good option, especially if you're on an edge and are capable of aerial super wavedashing.

Litt

Samus
Shield drop to bomb is actually a fairly good option, especially if you're on an edge and are capable of aerial super wavedashing.
Goomy, I notice you have taken the time to comment on nearly everything... Cool, you are new here and want to contribute and speak with the other sami. Understand, what you are talking about is not coming from experience, it is from theory and thought of looking cool/styling. Shield drop to bomb into aerial swd is beyond pointless, first it takes 10 frames for the bomb to come out, then you have to wait another 32 frames to sdw... all of which gives you the end accomplishment of going very far away from your opponent. Where most other shield drop options would put your into an advantageous attack position from shield to punish an opponents attack on... your shield... It s is actually not a fairly good option at all, especially if you are capable of swd or are on the ledge. So please for the love of gawd, stop talking on here as if what you say is legitimately good advice, here ask if something is good before saying it yourself, because you are making yourself look like an inexperienced scrub and your speaking in such definitive terms of knowing the games physics is just adding onto your know it all attitude. You come off as helpful, but the help you provide is not helping anyone, please ease back on the posts you make regarding the validity of what you say, and take some time to learn and read through these boards, because a lot of other stuff you are posting is repetitive and reallly old.

Top Bottom