• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield-cancelled chaingrabs

JST

Smash Apprentice
I still don't get how it's done. =/ Every time I try to do it, I end up either doing the other types of chaingrabs or whiffing it entirely.

Are there any vids out there that demonstrate how to do it properly? And while I'm at it, any tips on how to fight Snake. :p Snake's been giving me a really rough time everywhere.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow ---> Dash ---> Cancel the dash with a shield ---> Press A to do a standing shield grab.

Note that this isn't a dashing shield grab. You'll know the difference because if you whiff you wont go into the tumbling animation.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Also, when you train it, WAIT UNTILL YOU SEE THE SHIELD. Then, get the timing down and make the shield visible as short as possible

Vayseth

Smash Master
BTW, the sheild-cancelled grab is quite a bit slower than the dashing grab. If you already have them in a grab, I suggest just dashing grab, since they can't get out of it.

Against Snake, it's easy. See if they know how to get out of the chain grab with grenades. If they do, make sure you are always in the 4th slot, since the grenades will send the snake upwards, NOT YOU. That's important. Make sure you stay out Snake's range, because he can give you a poundin'. However, Snake has two really big weaknesses: First, he can get gimped really easily by D3 via cypher grab. You can set this up easily with the chain grab. Secondly, Snake SUCKS when getting juggled in the air, which is something D3 is good at. Try doing a fast-falled nair to the ground followed by up tilt to launch them and then read their air dodge to tech chase them with bairs. It sounds complicated, but it's not too tough. D3 is one of Snake's more annoying match ups.

Here's a good video for it:
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/2008/07/family-fun-arcade-aero-vs-dsf_14.html
DSF is one of the best players in all of SoCal so, it's not like Aero's playing a scrub.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
BTW, the sheild-cancelled grab is quite a bit slower than the dashing grab. If you already have them in a grab, I suggest just dashing grab, since they can't get out of it.

Against Snake, it's easy. See if they know how to get out of the chain grab with grenades. If they do, make sure you are always in the 4th slot, since the grenades will send the snake upwards, NOT YOU. That's important. Make sure you stay out Snake's range, because he can give you a poundin'. However, Snake has two really big weaknesses: First, he can get gimped really easily by D3 via cypher grab. You can set this up easily with the chain grab. Secondly, Snake SUCKS when getting juggled in the air, which is something D3 is good at. Try doing a fast-falled nair to the ground followed by up tilt to launch them and then read their air dodge to tech chase them with bairs. It sounds complicated, but it's not too tough. D3 is one of Snake's more annoying match ups.

Here's a good video for it:
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/2008/07/family-fun-arcade-aero-vs-dsf_14.html
DSF is one of the best players in all of SoCal so, it's not like Aero's playing a scrub.
U LIE NUB!!! lol jk, but seriously, SCG is faster. It has more range, so you can grab from further. Try it.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I guarantee you, SCG is slower. I dno what it is but... you can't buffer in SCG but you can buffer in dash grabs so it is MUCH faster. You can start the dash grab the moment you do the down throw with buffering. TRUST ME, it's faster. Sheild canceled grabs are good when you are approaching and trying to grab so if you whiff you don't have that rolling animation. In the actual chain grab itself, it's much better to do dash grabs.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
the shield canceld grab is totally useless, i cant believe no ones has figured that out, jesus christ. ALL YOU NEED TO CHAINGRAB THE CHARACTERS IS FREAKING DASH GRAB THEM??? OK??? GOD!!!!!!

CO18

Smash Hero
the shield canceld grab is totally useless, i cant believe no ones has figured that out, jesus christ. ALL YOU NEED TO CHAINGRAB THE CHARACTERS IS FREAKING DASH GRAB THEM??? OK??? GOD!!!!!!
Stfu, not all chars can be chaingrabbed using the dash grab. Posting like u kno something.

CO18

Smash Hero
Yes, they all can. But, go ahead and do it. People can do moves out of it if you so SCgrabs.
Characters like pit and marth are easily able to attack you if you try a regular dashing grab against them.

I'm not exactly sure what you're doing.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I know they can't, but you do what you are doing. It's working for me so far. If it works, do it, right?

BTW, you don't need them. Whoever first said that you have to do them for this grab was mistaken, you don't need them.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
I know they can't, but you do what you are doing. It's working for me so far. If it works, do it, right?

BTW, you don't need them. Whoever first said that you have to do them for this grab was mistaken, you don't need them.
You need them to ensure they dont escape the chain grab... Its the only one that is guaranteed. Also, without it you cant generate enough reach to get in a grab again on certain characters. Why would you say this isn't needed when its the grab used by the best DDD's? If what your doing works your either playing only heavies or your opponents dont know how to escape.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Characters like pit and marth are easily able to attack you if you try a regular dashing grab against them.

I'm not exactly sure what you're doing.

HE'S TOO SLOW!!!

Seriously. If you think dashing grabs are faster, you're doing it wrong. Sure, it SEEMS faster but a standing grab has far more range then a dashing grab.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
Vayseth: MMMK, even if you are right (seriously???), SCG's take up much less room so you get more off before you reach the edge, just doing dashing grabs makes you slide moar, and people can buffer a roll or a spotdodge if you just do dashing grab from what i've experienced so far

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Vayseth: MMMK, even if you are right (seriously???), SCG's take up much less room so you get more off before you reach the edge, just doing dashing grabs makes you slide moar, and people can buffer a roll or a spotdodge if you just do dashing grab from what i've experienced so far
yeah, and why do they take longer to reach the edge? Because they have more range, so they can grab the opponent from farther away, thus making them faster, even if only by a few frames

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
yeah, and why do they take longer to reach the edge? Because they have more range, so they can grab the opponent from farther away, thus making them faster, even if only by a few frames
if they are faster thhy can they be escaped and a proper scg cant?

Vayseth

Smash Master
I've never seen M2K do them, nor any of these "pro D3s" that you all are referencing. I mean, you can do either, it's just easier to do dash ones.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
I've never seen M2K do them, nor any of these "pro D3s" that you all are referencing. I mean, you can do either, it's just easier to do dash ones.
They use that grab. watch a good DDD on a heavy, yes they dash grab sometimes, because they cant get away as easily, but on littler characters you just can use the dash grab because they go too far away. Watch a replay of a good ddd vs. a smaller character vs. lucas or pit and you will notice they dont slide when they chain grab... this means they are scg. The only reason you dont notice a difference is because they have the timing perfected, so you dont see the shield many times because its up and gone nearly instantly and you can only tell they use it because they dont slide. Also, even if they WERE the same speed, you can do more scg because you DONT slide, meaning more grabs, meaning more damage, meaning better, meaning your foolish for not using it.

Also, to the other person... sorry I thought you were being difficult too. Thats totally my mistake. Apologies...

Vayseth

Smash Master
I looked into it today. A dashing grab grabs at 9 frames a standing at 6. A shield takes 2 frames to go out and the grab can be initiated on the 3rd frame. They are exactly the same speed, just that you don't slide, as you said. My mistake =(

JST

Smash Apprentice
BTW, I have another question regarding the vids I posted. How does M2K shorten the CG like that? Whenever I do it on anyone, I travel like 1/4 the length of Battlefield, while M2K travels like 1/6. He also doesn't lunge as far. :/

ynnek123

Smash Ace
BTW, I have another question regarding the vids I posted. How does M2K shorten the CG like that? Whenever I do it on anyone, I travel like 1/4 the length of Battlefield, while M2K travels like 1/6. He also doesn't lunge as far. :/
I beleive it said how to shorten your chain grabs in the chaingrab sticky.. READ THE STICKIES ****IT! :p

ynnek123

Smash Ace
whoops, I'm sorry. I really thought this thread was stickied last time I saw it o_O
whatever, it's not in there either >_> I am really sure there was a thread on these boards in which it said how to make the distance of your chains shorter

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Only thing that dash grabs are better than SCG's for are setting up for edgeguarding via fairs/bairs at the end of the stage. Then again, if you're good at it it could lead to an early kill. However, I like doing the SCG for the added damage from the 1-2 extra grabs you get. Those plus grab attacks really make a difference.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Anyone got a video or something showing the difference between them? It almost seems if you do a dash attack and hit down immediately that the throw comes out before you slide so you get a similar amount. The only thing you can't get are the punches inbetween because if you pause to punch, you slide too much. So SCGs get you a lot more dmg, but aren't 100% necessary it seems.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Anyone got a video or something showing the difference between them? It almost seems if you do a dash attack and hit down immediately that the throw comes out before you slide so you get a similar amount. The only thing you can't get are the punches inbetween because if you pause to punch, you slide too much. So SCGs get you a lot more dmg, but aren't 100% necessary it seems.
They are necessary for characters like marth who can get out with their up-B. I'll try to make a vid right now :p

EDIT: Can't get the vid to my pc -_____-'
I recorded on two phones(A and B) and my pc is C. A can send to B and B cannot send to A. C can send to A and B but A and B can't send to C. WTF is going on o_O

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Everyone shut up.

Shield-cancel cg is better. Regular cg just makes DDD slide when he grabs them again; it's not because it's faster. Understand this.

The amount of frames it takes for a grab to come out of shield is faster than the amount of frames it takes for a grab to come out of a dash. Also, a standing grab has more range then a dash grab.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
they don't beleive it unless you show proof. watch the rest of the thread. BTW, vid uploading. will bump once completed
and excuse me for the clumsyness in the beginning, I had to use wiimote + nunchuk aty the moment -_-

EDIT: What does this mean? It says: Rejected (duplicate upload) ??? anyone has any experience with this?

EDIT 2: LOOL I CHOSE THE SAME VIDEO I UPLOADED BEFORE. Upload coming soon

ynnek123

Smash Ace
BUMP
It's really bad quality, I had to use my mums cell phone. Skip to 1:30 for the things i wanted to let you see. First I did SC grabs and then dashing grabs. It took 6 SCGs to go from one to the other side and 4-5 with dashing grabs. next I did the chain grabs. First dashing grabs and then SCGs, to show SCGs are faster. From there on, I'm not able to see what happened :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksfTrrVCZNM
once again, i was using wiimote + nunchuk, so sorry :p

better quality vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LTlQRqOBmU

ruiisu

Smash Rookie

Very cool. Thanks!
I was trying to follow but got a little confused as to which was which. Gonna have to keep on it till I get it right. The timing is very precise... :/ Practice makes Perfect!

saberhof

Smash Master
See if they know how to get out of the chain grab with grenades. If they do, make sure you are always in the 4th slot, since the grenades will send the snake upwards, NOT YOU. .
WTF, 4th slot?? what does that have to do with anything?...>o>..something im missing???

ynnek123

Smash Ace
priority -.- it has been pointed out so many times... the higher your controller slot the more priority you get on some things. IN BRAWL

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
i think thats so wierd though, but its proven... its sad that people have to flip for controller slots now.

Top Bottom