• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Breaking Moves/Shield Pressure

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Hey guys! I just love it when I bust shield open on my opponent. Its hype as hell and I love how satisfying it is to do it. Plus some of my friends are like little volcanoes. So its pretty funny when they get all salty for just silly things I do to them.

Anyways I also think its a good idea to have a thread dedicated to this for research purposes cuz whenever an opponent has a near broken shield they have to stop relying on it for a while and it gives you an edge since your enemy is trying to let the shield rest for a bit.

I have a few moves that I know that work or are good shield pressure but I wanna know if I'm missing some or maybe there are even easier moves to land.

Bowser has down b and side smash.

Marth has his neutral b although idk how to properly use it. I'm assuming tipper is the way to bust the shield but even when I'm sure I spaced it correctly it doesn't work so well.

There's the obvious shine pressure with spacies but thats not exactly an easy thing to do.

What other options are there? I'm a bit stumped.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Yes but sadly that pull is based on chance. It isn't really an ready at command tool and because of that not really viable for me.

Does DK's side b and down b break shields effectively?

In moments like these I miss Ganondorf's warlock punch. It was so good on shields although not viable. But its a available tool.

I wish we could do turn around sword taunt attacks.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Actively trying to break shields isn't really that good of an idea. In reality, it should be more of a threat than an actual goal. A shield breaking means, most probably, that your opponent has made a series of substantial mistakes resulting in an absolutely free punish.

Yes, there are a good handful of moves that do a substantial amount of shield damage, but in no event would proper play result in any of these moves actually connecting with a shield, save perhaps Shield Breaker, which actually does fairly little to truly break shields.

Actual shield pressure is useful not because it breaks shields, but because it provides openings - rarely will someone's shield actually break from spacie pressure, both because it's too difficult, but also because, at a point, it becomes much better to just take a hit from shine or whatever other move than it would be to be shield broken.

Shield breaks are fun, yeah, but they shouldn't be a focus or a real goal you're pushing for. You're much better off applying safe pressure to find cracks in the defenses that allow you to punish. In the end, that mostly just comes down to spaced aerials, no matter what character you're playing.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Bothers me that the shield damage of Bowser Bomb and Bowser Fsmash were so nerfed tho.

Top Bottom