• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Break Options.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
I've surprisingly had a lot of shield breaks against people recently. Peach has amazing shield pressure, that's for sure, but I want to take it a step further: I want to break shields a lot more.

So far the only combo I know that will 100% break shields is Bomber > Bomber > FF Fair. If they don't power shield or drop shield during the hits, this has worked for me.

Still, I want to know if there are any other ways to put so much pressure on a shield and doing it so fast that people can't react well to it. Any ideas? This might be fun for all of us to just start breaking shields.

-- I think this combo may work: Turnip Pull > Floating Dair > Floating Dair (Without dropping) > Z-Drop turnip > FF Nair

It should work if no one moves at all, but that's situational.

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
Dair to stitch is my preferred way to break shields. It's not guaranteed iirc but is so unexpected. I get it most all the time.

Another way is with Mr saturn, You jump above them and then begin arial pressure from float, they put their shield up and bam, if they don't shield you can just follow with Bair and if they spotdodge it hits them instead and you can pick of Saturn. It covers ever option except rolling.

Also Dair, turnip drop Nair then Ftilt can do the trick on a slightly whittled shield.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I like to sh dair into 2 floated dairs to ff nair.

Kojirou

Smash Rookie
What seems to work for me is crossing up with a floating dair + bair +side b.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
Yesssss finally I get responses. I plan to try some of these tactics (which will work wonderfully as mix-up options for me) and hopefully get some shield breaks out of them.

TryHardFezz

Smash Rookie
Two that have worked for me are:

-Dair into Stitch Face
and
-Dair into Dotted Eyes into f-tilt

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
IRCOOF with strong turnips (preferably stitch) or saturn can put on some quick shield pressure. c:

Ximlee

Smash Cadet
I like to sh dair into 2 floated dairs to ff nair.
How often are you able to pull something this extensive off in game? Just wondering if it's a practical thing for me to try to go for

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
How often are you able to pull something this extensive off in game? Just wondering if it's a practical thing for me to try to go for
In my opinion, unless your opponent is literally sitting there in shield instead of reacting with something OOS or even rolling away, there's probably little chance you'll have this situation happen a lot.

So, tl;dr it's not practical in most matches.

Ximlee

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, unless your opponent is literally sitting there in shield instead of reacting with something OOS or even rolling away, there's probably little chance you'll have this situation happen a lot.

So, tl;dr it's not practical in most matches.
Thought so. Would have tested it myself but I've just been INFATUATED by woolly world for the past few days.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Ive successfully broken shields with this:
Dair > Dair > Falling Nair > Peachbomber (If it bounces off shield, follow with Fair.)

Usually the natural reaction for enemies is to Shield Roll, so if you can readmoves, following up with peachbomber usually does the trip.

Ximlee

Smash Cadet
Ive successfully broken shields with this:
Dair > Dair > Falling Nair > Peachbomber (If it bounces off shield, follow with Fair.)

Usually the natural reaction for enemies is to Shield Roll, so if you can readmoves, following up with peachbomber usually does the trip.
That seems really practical, I'll have to try it out tonight.

Has anyone else had luck with this as well?

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I haven't tried any of the options spoken of in this thread. First off I haven't been playing for a long time (Smash isn't fun for me atm so I gotta snap myself out of the mindset) and every person I fight against knows I can break shields and they're smart enough not to stand still when I pressure them. Everything in this game is situational.

Ximlee

Smash Cadet
Honestly I haven't tried any of the options spoken of in this thread. First off I haven't been playing for a long time (Smash isn't fun for me atm so I gotta snap myself out of the mindset) and every person I fight against knows I can break shields and they're smart enough not to stand still when I pressure them. Everything in this game is situational.
Yeah, that's too bad... I know this might be a little ironic coming from a Peach main, but at least it isn't all RNG?

Top Bottom