• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shenmue Discussion

finalark

SNORLAX

Okay, since Shenmue III is finally happening I figured this thread should exist. For those of you who have no idea what the series is or why it's so important to so many people, allow me to explain. Shenmue is the brainchild of Yu Suzuki (Virtua Fighter 2, Sword of Vermillion). Shenmue is a series of adventure games inspired by martial arts films that aims to create a captivating, realistic world with an engaging narrative staring memorable characters.

The Story So Far

Shenmue

The year is 1986. One day, Ryo Hazuki returns home to his family dojo only to witness his father locked in battle with an imposing, green-clad man named Lan Di over some kind of artifact called the Dragon Mirror. Ryo attempts to intervene but is injured, prompting is father to reveal the location of the mirror. After claiming it, Lan Di kills Ryo's father, prompting his mission of revenge.

After recovering from the fight, Ryo begins investigating Lan Di's trail. After some time, a letter from a man named Zhu Yuanda, an old friend of Ryo's fathers, suggests he sees a certain Master Chen. Through him, Ryo learns that a gang lurking around the harbor called the Mad Angels have ties to Lan Di's organization, the Chi You Men. He also discovers that there is a second mirror hidden under his family dojo, this one with the engraving of a phoenix.

However, Ryo's investigation and decent into the criminal underworld costs him when the Mad Angels kidnap his love interest, Nozomi Harasaki. He saves Nozomi and strikes a deal with the Mad Angels. If he can defeat Master Chen's son, Guizhang, for the Angels they will take him to Lan Di. Ryo complies and after the battle with Lan Di find himself betrayed by the gang. After teaming up with Guizhang to defeat the Mad Angels once and for all, they reveal that Lan Di left Japan for Hong Kong.

With a hot trail, Ryo and Guizhang set out for Hong Kong only to be attacked by a low-ranking Chi You Men member. He is defeated by Ryo but injures Guizhang, who decides to stay in Japan to heal his wounds. Master Chen instructs Ryo to search for a Kung Fu master named Tao Lishao while he is in Hong Kong. And so with that, Ryo boards the boat and leaves for a new land in his quest for revenge.

Shenmue II

Ryo arrives in Hong Kong and begins his search for Master Tao Lishao, who may know the whereabouts of Zhu Yuanda. After some searching, he discovers Tao is actually a woman named Hong Xiuying. However, she considers Ryo's quest for vengeance futile and foolish and refuses to assist him. After they part ways Ryo encounters Ren Wuying, the leader of a street gang who may help him find Yuanda. After discovering the Phoenix and Dragon Mirrors have a large amount of money tied to them, Ren agrees to help Ryo and informs him that Yuanda is in Kowloon.

After arriving in Kowloon, Ryo's search for Yuanda, who is hiding from Lan Di and his men, begins. Of course, Ryo and his allies, a woman named Joy and a boy named Wong, are hounded by the dangerous Yellow Head organization, slowing their progress. When Ryo finally find Yuanda his meeting is cut short by the Yellow Head and their leader, Dou Niu, who kidnap Yuanda.

Ryo and his allies infiltrate the Yellow Head building to save Yuanda, only to find Lan Di there. Unfortunately, Ryo's chance for revenge is delayed as Dou Niu kidnaps Wong. Ryo saves his friends and escapes to Ren's hideout. Here, Yuanda reveals that Lan Di's real name is Zhao Longsun, and his motive for killing Ryo's father was out of a belief that he had killed his father. Yuanda also reveals that the two mirrors have magic power and when brought together will resurrect the Qing Dynasty. Ryo's next destination is Guilin village, where Lan Di is headed.

When he reaches the village he finally meets a young woman named Ling Shenhua, who had been appearing in his dreams ever since his father's murder. Ryo soon discovers that Ling's family has a long history with the mirrors, and she leads him to a stone quarry to meet with her father. However, they find not him, but a cryptic note and a strange sword that sets off the Phoenix Mirror. This reveals some sort of device depicting both mirrors.

There, now you're all caught up. So get pumped for the final chapter in the series!

Shenmue III Kickstarter

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This game deserved the reception it got at E3, and I'm glad the kickstarter was a success.

I think Suzuki planned on the game being 5 or 6 games in total in an interview way back? So I wonder if he'll try to cram everything he wanted into this one game or not.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I completely lost it when I saw the Shenmue logo pop-up on screen. I am a HUGE fan of the series and have been shouting, like others, for a Shenmue 3 to complete the series. I played the first one multiple times and imported the 2nd one on Dreamcast (instead of playing the Xbox copy)... and loved it as well. I can't wait for Shenmue 3. I pledged the first day and I'm glad it shattered the records.

finalark

SNORLAX
This game deserved the reception it got at E3, and I'm glad the kickstarter was a success.

I think Suzuki planned on the game being 5 or 6 games in total in an interview way back? So I wonder if he'll try to cram everything he wanted into this one game or not.
Yeah, he had originally planned for Shenmue to be a longer series but given how Shenmue 1 under performed he already had to start compressing things once he got to Shenmue II. Given that he's had fourteen years to think about it I'd assume that he's already figured out how Shenmue III is going to play out.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GAF post highlights all the info for Shenmue 3
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168899118&postcount=6043

Really disappointed that it sounds like they're not getting much funding from Sega and Sony, hopefully that changes. The fans are giving him a lot already, but I would like to see more support from those companies. I don't think they should see it as a risky venture after the reception it got. Plus, I want Suzuki to make the game he's always dreamed of.

finalark

SNORLAX
You can really feel Sazuki's passion in that post. I really wish SEGA and Sony would have more faith in the project. TBH the fact that Sony's announcement was for a kickstarter instead of an actual game in development kind of rubbed me the wrong way, like they wouldn't back the game until they had actual proof that people wanted it.

Still, I'm glad the kickstarter was successful. Sazuki obviously really cares about making something that everyone who has been waiting patiently for so long can enjoy and I'm really hoping they hit their stretch goals so he can make the best Shenmue game possible.

There are a few game-related things mentioned in that post I find interesting. It says they're going for a smaller, but more detailed game world. I don't know if this is an artistic choice or a budget choice but it sounds like the game's cast likely won't be as expansive as Shenmue II's. Although it also states that how you interact with Shenhua will be a big part of the game, so lowering the scale might work in the game's favor.

In terms of game play I'm intrigued to see how well Sazuki and his team manage to tie all the various things you can do together. The first two games had a ton of things to do, but they all felt very independent of each other. I think trying to get all of these different mini games to come together in a coherent way is the best way they could have handled this. According to the post, it will all revolve around the technique scrolls, so combat will possibly play a bigger role maybe?

Also, forklifts have not been forgotten. I don't know how they're going to fit forklifts into rural China but if they can do it more power to them.

finalark

SNORLAX
I watched Sony's press conference with a group of friends and had the same exact reaction.

Except I was the only person in the room who knew what Shenmue was, so while I nearly felt out of my chair in a screaming fit of joy my friends stood by completely confused at what they had just witness and why it was such a big deal.

finalark

SNORLAX
Shenmue III just hit 3,50 million, so now we're getting a skill tree. However:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/shenmue-3-creator-also-wants-to-do-shenmue-4/1100-6428363/

So, apparently he's going to need ten million to make Shenmue III the game he wants it to be. Not only that, but he also hopes to make the five-game Shenmue he's always dreamed up a reality.

Yu-baby, Shenmue is great and I respect that you're trying to keep it alive but I think you might need to keep your ambitions in check.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I want Shenmue 3 to be made. But I honestly would rather have nothing instead of this mixed Kickstarer we're having. To me, it sounds like if we don't get it to 10 mil, the game will be like some sort of visual novel or something. And I don't want that at all. I don't want Shenmue 3 to be the butt of a joke.
All or nothing. That's what I want. So I'm really hoping that Sega or maybe Sony will come through.

Also I played all the way through the first Shenmue but never the 2nd. I hope to get to it one day.

EDIT: I'm confused about something that I hope someone can answer. Doesn't Sega own the Shenmue franchise? Wouldn't it mean that if Shenmue 3 gets funded, it would have to be published by Sega and no one else?

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I want Shenmue 3 to be made. But I honestly would rather have nothing instead of this mixed Kickstarer we're having. To me, it sounds like if we don't get it to 10 mil, the game will be like some sort of visual novel or something. And I don't want that at all. I don't want Shenmue 3 to be the butt of a joke.
All or nothing. That's what I want. So I'm really hoping that Sega or maybe Sony will come through.

Also I played all the way through the first Shenmue but never the 2nd. I hope to get to it one day.

EDIT: I'm confused about something that I hope someone can answer. Doesn't Sega own the Shenmue franchise? Wouldn't it mean that if Shenmue 3 gets funded, it would have to be published by Sega and no one else?
IMO, the 10 mil is what Suzuki wants in order to remain at the same level of ambition of past games. I don't think he means 10 mil is needed to reach the ideas achieved in the past. Who knows though, but I'm hoping it's the former. Sony clarified saying they'll help back the game, but it sounds like it's still under negotiations. From the sounds of it from Shu, Sony was always going to fund some but the amount might depend on how successful the kickstarter is. It's safe to say that we shouldn't count on them, just in case.

Yes, Sega does own the Shenmue franchise, but owning doesn't always equal to publishing. Ironically the one example that's off the top of my head is Bayonetta 2 being published by Nintendo. Sega owned the rights but it was Nintendo footing the bill.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
IMO, the 10 mil is what Suzuki wants in order to remain at the same level of ambition of past games. I don't think he means 10 mil is needed to reach the ideas achieved in the past. Who knows though, but I'm hoping it's the former. Sony clarified saying they'll help back the game, but it sounds like it's still under negotiations. From the sounds of it from Shu, Sony was always going to fund some but the amount might depend on how successful the kickstarter is. It's safe to say that we shouldn't count on them, just in case.

Yes, Sega does own the Shenmue franchise, but owning doesn't always equal to publishing. Ironically the one example that's off the top of my head is Bayonetta 2 being published by Nintendo. Sega owned the rights but it was Nintendo footing the bill.
But right off that bat, since the first Bayonetta 2 trailer, I always saw the Sega copyright. It was more of that Sega but the franchise "on loan" to Nintendo.

I haven't seen once instance where Sega has been mentioned about Shenmue 3.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
But right off that bat, since the first Bayonetta 2 trailer, I always saw the Sega copyright. It was more of that Sega but the franchise "on loan" to Nintendo.

I haven't seen once instance where Sega has been mentioned about Shenmue 3.
It's in the Kickstarter page where the FAQ is. No mention of it elsewhere is probably a marketing strat to show that this project is more dependent on the fans instead of showing a big name company. If I was in charge of the kickstarter, I would do the same actually.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
It's in the Kickstarter page where the FAQ is. No mention of it elsewhere is probably a marketing strat to show that this project is more dependent on the fans instead of showing a big name company. If I was in charge of the kickstarter, I would do the same actually.
Oh wow. I even read the FAQ.

I guess I just missed that. Boy, do I feel dumb. Thanks for clearing that up!

I still find it funny that the whole thing is being helped by Sony...even though Shenmue has never graced a Sony platform before!

Business works in mysterious ways.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I wanted to revive this thread rather than start a new one.

I finally have Shenmue III-- like, it's a thing and I have it-- and I'm gonna start it tonight.

Anyone else on Smashboards getting in on this?

DANNY__JK

Smash Rookie
ive recently started III now that im done with death stranding, im not feeling it just yet i cant lie

Top Bottom