• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheilda Viability Discussion

Mentor

Smash Cadet
If there's already a thread on this, please link it.

After playing Sheilda for quite a while, I'm not entirely convinced of the viability of this character option. The following is a list of pros and cons. If anyone would like to contribute, please comment & I'll update the list. Also this isn't in the sheik or zelda section because it's 2 characters & I dunno if you can link 1 thread to 2 sections.

Pros:
  • Can change to a completely different moveset/mu at any given point
  • Can condition between 2 characters
  • Use sheik/zelda for combos/killing or vice versa depending on mu

Cons:
  • Must be competent between 2 different movesets on the spot while your opponent only needs to be proficient in 1
  • mu might go against your favor, making sticking w/ 1 or the other the better option due to mu alone
Neutral Questions:
  • Who gets used to the new character first? You or your opponent?
  • How often should/can you switch?
  • How fast can you/your opponent adapt?
  • Under what specific circumstances can transforming turn the tide in your favor? Not just mu but on stock/%/position of 2 players

Narpas_sword

There's no feasible way that playing both is worse than playing one.

There's nothing your opponent can do to force you to change,so you can always stay the one you want to be for that match. Or change if you need to.

Both cons you have listed are not cons at all. Playing as both doesn't mean you have to change at all. You still have the option to stay as one.

waygu

Smash Lord
At lower levels I've found some really good success with sheilda but im kind of a bait/reactionary player so it usually plays to my advantage. Your cons are all things you have to mitigate (not being able to switch on the go etc)

4tlas

Smash Lord
I remember there being plenty of threads on this in the Zelda forums but none in the Sheik forums. I know I just did a long explanation of Sheilda strategy the other day in one of those Zelda threads.

Your cons aren't cons, but they are relevant issues you have to iron out of your game if you want to make Sheilda work. If you're curious about what situations you want to Transform in that aren't "this is the better MU" then the factors to look at are both players percents and positioning.

At low percents, Zelda can escape juggles. At high percents, Sheik can survive off the top better. Transform boost can be used as a recovery in either direction provided you have a jump, and if you don't have a jump you can still drift while Transforming Zelda->Sheik. Due to all of that, I would recommend playing Zelda at low percents and Sheik at high percents, then switching back for recovery.

When opponents are at low percent, Zelda can actually combo. Sheik gets crouch cancelled. Zelda can kill just as easily when opponents are mid percent as when they are high percent, but these kill options are hard to land, giving her a quasi Marth syndrome. Sheik can gimp easily and also outright kill when opponents are high percent. If I get a spare opportunity (whether I or my opponent is recovering/respawning) I may switch to Zelda to rack up damage or Sheik for an easy kill (hitting any move at high percent will kill, and Sheiks are easier).

Another reason to Transform (or alternatively a good way to make it safe) is to explode Dins with the timed explosion hitbox (which is much stronger than the manual detonation). Note that this obviously doesn't work going Sheik->Zelda.

Here are some video examples of my play. If you can't tell why I transformed at each time I did, I'd be happy to elaborate. Sorry these are all from the same day, its the only time I've been on stream since 3.6 came out. The commentators (several of which are my crewmates) sometimes explain the Transforms correctly but also sometimes incorrectly, so come to your own conclusions.

Edit: I am pretty sure I transform in every single game in these videos, though I remember there was one against Twisty where I died immediately as Sheik and Transformed back because we were now both low percent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzbIvfqaTrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjkkTS3b0mA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0OGm_mr5GI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5etbBNpwEQ

Last edited:
Top Bottom