• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Tips & Tricks?

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
So I've recently started getting into the competitive side of Smash, and I've been trying to figure out who my three or four mains are going to be for the game. As it stands right now Sonic is my number 1, and I figured why not try out Sheik/Zelda since I think I'm better at using them compared to some of the other cast members in the game. So I was wondering if anyone could perhaps give me some tips on how to use Sheik, so I can get a practice and get a better foundation with her. As a side note I use a Wiiremote and Nunchuck; call it crazy but the gamecube controller feels weird to me since I haven't touched much since Brawl came out.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Learn GC controller, you will be at a 1-frame disadvantage with anything that uses the Wii-mote.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Learn GC controller, you will be at a 1-frame disadvantage with anything that uses the Wii-mote.
That's what every says, but its not that I can't use it, but it feels so awkward I always mess up trying to do pull off combos and some of the more advanced techniques when I use it. Its why I simply stick with what I know, even if apparently there is a 1 frame disadvantage. I'm no uncomfortable with a Gamecube controller is its an improbability for me to suddenly start using it when I play a heck of a lot better with the Wiiremote + Nunchuck.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Don't use a wiiremote, Ever.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Don't use a wiiremote, Ever.
I would very much appreciate it if you didn't comment, if you were going to try and give advice on Sheik. I'm not switching controllers just because everyone else seems to think you can't play well with out a Game Cube controller.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I would very much appreciate it if you didn't comment, if you were going to try and give advice on Sheik. I'm not switching controllers just because everyone else seems to think you can't play well with out a Game Cube controller.
Classic Controller Pro.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Bair is good for spacing and edgeguards
Dair is good for reads but not much else
Fair is an amazing combo ender
Uair is another great combo ender and vertical killer
Nair is good to stop yourself from being juggled IIRC

Use Down throw and Back Throw, they can combo easily and the DI for one is horrible for the other. This makes them both great mixups for the other
Up and Forward throws aren't as useful, but are good mixups if you want to really throw your opponent off.

Learn to Needle Snipe opponents. (Basically hit recovering opponents with a needle)
Also learn to Shino Stall.

Learn which characters you want to gimp or snipe and which you want to edgeguard.

If you want, learn the chain jacket but it's not necessary

Learn to aim your Up B

(OPTIONAL) Learn Zelda, if you are having a bad matchup, a switch to Zelda while recovering can really throw opponents off.

Basic Techs needed for smash:

C-Dashing, RAR, WaveDash, WaveLand, RARman Noodles, etc

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I'm pretty sure wiimotes are banned from most tourneys
I've never heard of this, not that it matters. If I do start going to tournaments (locally) then I will use the controller of my choice, and for some reason I'm not allowed to use it then I guess I just won't participate. I'm not going to switch to a different controller after using a different one since Brawl came out, especially since ts the controller I am the most comfortable with and play the best with. If what you say is true then I think that is kinda dumb as just because a majority uses the Game Cube controller, doesn't mean EVERYONE does lol.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
I've never heard of this, not that it matters. If I do start going to tournaments (locally) then I will use the controller of my choice, and for some reason I'm not allowed to use it then I guess I just won't participate. I'm not going to switch to a different controller after using a different one since Brawl came out, especially since ts the controller I am the most comfortable with and play the best with. If what you say is true then I think that is kinda dumb as just because a majority uses the Game Cube controller, doesn't mean EVERYONE does lol.
It's not that, Wiimotes mess up when large amounts of people use them with multiple Wiis... or something like that.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
It's not that, Wiimotes mess up when large amounts of people use them with multiple Wiis... or something like that.
How many people actively use them though? Once you turn the Wii on and load up the game you just take the batteries out, problem solved.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
How many people actively use them though? Once you turn the Wii on and load up the game you just take the batteries out, problem solved.
IDK, it was a problem during early Brawl. No idea how it'd work now. I wish you luck though...

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
just use whatever controller you want, jeez these people. Wiimotes are not banned in tournaments, but most ask that you take out the batteries when you're not playing.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
Not only what the guy above me said, but the button layout ****ing sucks and is definitely suboptimal for smash dude. This is coming from someone who could only use a wiimote for a few months and had to learn how to play with it. It straight up isn't as good. So do what you want but you'd be better off switching and learning as soon as possible.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I used a Wiimote-Nunchuck configuration for years, and it absolutely sucked. There are a couple neat things you can do with it (Shake Smash DACUS, D-pad SDI) but it's terrible in the way it's set up and has the annoying lag.

It takes time to switch, but it's well worth it. I'd recommend practicing with someone fairly straight-forward, like Marth, for a while until you get it down. It's not nearly as hard as you might think, as it only took me a few days to become acclimated.

SwagyShiek5044

Smash Rookie
Once you switch to Game Cube Controller you'll never wanna go back. It takes some time to getting used to but its 100000x easier to use.

Tohfoo

Smash Cadet
A lot of what @WIZRD.Pro said was good.

I would add that tilts are crazy good with Sheik. Be best friends with ftilt especially -- wavedash back > ftilt is amazing for getting something started. Down smash is good for edge guarding in certain situations. Up smash is good for extending combos. Learning to space fair well is good too.

Watch Mew2King's Melee Sheik. Down throw is different in this game but you can still pick up a ton from just watching.

Edit: Since you're using a Wiimote, set down arrow to jump so you can wavedash easier. :)

Last edited:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Just going to pitch in on the whole wiimote issue, anything without a C-stick is at a major disadvantage in that the necessity of a direction input to do aerials severely limits your options. Certain situations as well as some ATs become literally impossible.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were character's who's metas made this a non-issues.

That being that being said, sheik is almost certainly not one of those characters.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't really matter if you're not serious enough to care. It sounds like you're playing to play, not to be the best, so if you're okay with those disadvantages then don't sweat it.

Quimsby

Smash Rookie
You won't ever be good if you use a Wii mote...

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Randomly comes onto Smash Boards again after a hiatus to find a topic that I made back in July as become a discussion on which controller is better? Wow, just wow lol. To be honest though I've since kinda given up on trying to use a secondary, and instead focus on solely using one character to the best of my ability, when it comes to more serious matches in my mind, even if the match up is unfavorable.

ImTooWhite

Smash Rookie
I'm not declaring any remote better, but from personal experience my friends had to switch from wiimote+nunchuck AND classic controller all to gc because their input would either be delayed by a noticeable amount, or it straight up would cut things off (like stopping Ike's side b short even though they're still holding the button). You can still use the wiimote, just be warned things like that will happen.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
A mod should really close this topic, as its become pretty irrelevant at this point.

Top Bottom