• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Basic Tips?

Chocokirby

Smash Rookie
I'm Using Sheik as my Main
I'm using Sheik as my main now, but I'd like to get better. (In project m, it's not like I'm ditching Kirby) Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has any tips for how to get better, or some good, basic combos. Thanks! :sheep:

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
I like grabs into grabs/Fair, jabs into Grabs/Fair, F-tilt-to Fair, D-smash, Always keep your needles ready, practice your snipes. Watch M2k play. Remember you can crawl. Back throw is as much of a chain grab as your down throw DI depending. Nair OoS. Don't jump if you cant stuff attacks. Your def better on the ground using your long reach. I figure atleast for me Fox trotting can go along way.

Random stuff hope it helps.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Does Ftilt lock still work? Ik it worked in Brawl, but...it's Brawl...so....yeah, lol.

I think it might work on fast fallers and heavy characters, and maybe mid-weight characters (depending on percents)

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Alright thanks. It can still be used starting a juggle though :)

(or at least starting combos)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The biggest tip I can give you, is to stay grounded as much as possible with Sheik. The biggest mistake any Sheik player can make is to spend too much time doing SH aerials, because she loses her ground mobility and moves much slower/more awkward in the air. It's also usually worse to initially try to approach someone with say SH Fair, instead of threatening to grab or threatening to be close on the ground. She's nasty on the ground, plz stay there 80% of the time.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Remember now you have this Mindgame with the throws. Instead of always just spamming Dthrow you can mix it up with Bthrow that if they try to DI it just like down one they will end up close to you and you can followup with different things! On spacies they stay close enough for you to sweetspot Upsmash though it may also work on other fastfallers or heavies. On the rest you can go for a Fair or even Uair sometimes.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I'm trying to play Sheik too...maybe I was spending too much time in the air, but during the times I WAS TRYING TO STAY grounded I didn't know what the hell to do. -_- What am I doing wrong? I can't beat anyone consistently.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
I suck too, but I've been mixing things up by dash dance camping, wave dashing out of dashes, wave landing out of aerials and other overall movement based Techniques to enhance my approach. When I'm up close I do jab strings at really low percents then jab dtilt then jab ftilt at mid percentages. Grabs into tech chase are your best friend IMO. If they roll back shoot some needles or charge some. If they roll towards try to go for the regrab. Bad DI? Chaingrab them all day. I also like to mash pummel till they tech the throw sometimes.

Learn max ftilt range. Like seriously. Ftilt to fair or ftilt to uair on floaties. Ftilt to regrab sometimes. Crawl sometimes. I think it counts as CC. Crawl out of wavedash a little and try to shield poke with stilt. It hits pretty low and can sometimes clip their feet.

That's really it. My ground game consists of tricking the opponent with my movement options, trying to force them to approach or stopping their approach with needles. Abuse ftilt range. And the occasional crawl + dtilt. I do try to avoid dash attack though, just personal but I don't think its that safe to just throw out. That's why I usually dash cancel or wave dash out of my runs

EDIT: lol, long version of what DMG said

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I'm trying to play Sheik too...maybe I was spending too much time in the air, but during the times I WAS TRYING TO STAY grounded I didn't know what the hell to do. -_- What am I doing wrong? I can't beat anyone consistently.
Shield, Grab, down throw, combo
Side tilt, Combo
Uptilt chain, combo
Dash attack chain, combo
Grab down, grab down, grab down, grab down, grab down, up smash

Shiek is just a character where no matter how bad you are at the game you can still win. Slightly difficult to learn but once you get used to it you won't need anyone's help.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you fix habits of jumping too much, then Sheik is perfect for you.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Shield, Grab, down throw, combo
Side tilt, Combo
Uptilt chain, combo
Dash attack chain, combo
Grab down, grab down, grab down, grab down, grab down, up smash

Shiek is just a character where no matter how bad you are at the game you can still win. Slightly difficult to learn but once you get used to it you won't need anyone's help.
I can back-wave-dash-Ftilt fine, but using it at the right time is a bit hard for me right now. It worked sometimes on the opponents I fought. I tried to start a combo with Ftilt sometimes, but I don't think I tried hard enough. I'll try that next time, but what exactly does it combo into, Fair?

Isn't Dtilt a combo starter too.

To be honest, I guess I have a jump habit and using lots of aerials because it carried over from Brawl. Practically any priority is by air in that game, lol. (Of course it depends on the character though).

Maybe Melee sheik isn't for me...but I could always keep practicing with her and get better. It's frustrating though... >_>

Also, Dthrow wasn't working for me sometimes. I think it's because they DI'd, am I correct? Is it still possible to combo them even if they DI? When I Dthrow, I always go for an Fair. That's what I saw in Melee video's, or maybe I misinterpreted it...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
In PM, if they DI Dthrow away/down+away, it's basically impossible to have a guaranteed followup. Depending on character and position, it can still setup for a great tech chase or edge guard scenario. The basic idea they had is if you want a similar Dthrow experience, you need to mix up Dthrow with Bthrow. The DI that is "safe" for them on Dthrow, is AWFUL on Bthrow, and vice versa. They need separate DI for each throw to be safe. In PM those throws are faster, so it's harder to react quickly as the grabbed person and pick correctly.

That said, yes your biggest problem I can likely 99.9999% guarantee is jumping too much. Sheik is a retardedly good character because of her ground control. You lose all of that while being in the air. If your opponent is grounded, 95% of the time you should be as well. It's safer, easier, and more threatening for Sheik to be on the ground with these options:

1. DD baiting
2. Dash Grab/Boost Grab
3. Tilts
4. Jab
5. WD
6. Needles

In the air, you're very committed to doing an aerial or needles in the air or else you basically admit that your presence in the air at that moment is an absolute mistake. Sheik's airspeed and ability to get to the ground QUICK is quite bad, so you don't want to be the character that's trying tricky Full Jump/DJ baits. She isn't Falcon or someone who has the fall speed and finesse to be trying that kind of trickiness. Or even take a SH aerial approach. What are the odds of you successfully crossing someone up, also doing it quickly? She doesn't thrive on SHing through people and getting massive shield pressure from that aspect. She gets her pressure from the plethora of ground options and her mobility stemming from some of those options. When Sheik goes to the air, she tends to knock people away. She's not aerially combo orientated besides the very rare Uair strings or the Dair to whatever silly M2K combo you can do on FF's. So it doesn't make sense to forgo a tilt or grab that would lead into a combo, and instead try to Fair/Bair someone on the ground. You're making the game harder for yourself.

TL:DR

You usually wall better
Approach better
Have better defensive options for dealing with their pressure
Better combo and setup potential

All from being on the ground instead of the air. The exceptions to this? Depending on their character, you may have an easier time walling with Bair or dealing with their SH approaches with your own aerials. It's not very often, and you still tend to have viable alternatives on the ground. So the lesson? KEEP THOSE TU'TU'TU'TU' legs on the ground.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
What is there to do with that P:M Dair? It's not a HORRIBLE approach but it seems kinda bad overall. Clearly it's not meant to be used on aerial opponents but more like a Cfalcon dair on groundeds... That can't spike.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can use it to punish stand ups at mid %, try to go for a juggle before you Fair so you send them out further. Probably mostly see it if your opponent is on a platform above you and you rise up with the Dair.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Aerial needle cancels are a pretty large part of Sheik's game. Aerial approach with large coverage that's safe on block and combos on hit? Yes please.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm not a jabber, I'm a lover Leelue.

Top Bottom