• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shdl practicality

k60z

Smash Rookie
i have been practicing a lot of basic tech with fox to eliminate any crucial execution errors in tournament. I haven't practiced lasers too much, and I was wondering the practicality of shdl. from the little I've practiced of it, it's easy (at least in friendlies and when practicing, haven't played a tournament with my fox yet) and seems very useful, but I've seen others say that it's useless flashy tech that is not worth practicing. I've also noticed some top players do it while some opt for shff single lasers. what is your opinion/the consensus?

adz

Smash Cadet
shdl is one of fox's best tools in the neutral game. although you give up some stage position, it forces your opponent to approach, which is a godsend in the floaty matchup. i even use it in marth and sheik's matchups, by throwing out a couple shdls as i dash-dance. make sure to practice drifting when you shoot lasers, as to get the microspacing down.

pyroplushy

Smash Rookie
it's just another tool in your belt for the neutral game. People who say it's flashy and useless probs can't do it consistently. It isn't always better than shl because it's slightly easier to be punished, but it applies more pressure to the opponent, and because it is easier to be punished they might try to punish it, and then you can punish them (assuming you didn't get hit.) It also unstales other moves quicker because you're doing 2 moves instead of 1.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Short hop fast fall laser is "safer," and surrenders less position, but SHDL covers two different heights, and means higher actual damage output lasering (unless one of the lasers always misses or something).

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
As a Fox main, I can't tell you how useful SHDL is against many characters. Free damage on your opponent from a distance, and shooting lasers will unstale your moveset <--- AKA. BROKEN

Top Bottom