• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, the lack of a Geno Mii Costume, and how they may want to end on a super hype for the fans and Sakurai, I could see Geno still making it in. I don't think he would have the normal SE music issue as Nintendo owns the rights to that stuff mostly. Plus we know Sakurai has wanted Geno since Melee, same with Banjo.

Geno and Shantae are both super high on man fan polls and want lists. I think this season pass is mostly filled with fan wants(DQ from the JP side, Banjo from sakurai and everyone). Shantae and Geno as the last 2 fighters would be pretty dope.
Basically, if those 2 got in, than like the top 5 Smash Ballot requests would be in: :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, :ultbanjokazooie:, Geno, and Shantae.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would fully go on that thought, but plenty more people have their own counters for making their character choices higher. So, best to go between the lines until something VERY solid takes shape to grab on.

Sometimes, some good things appear after patience without too much of the opposite during the sidelines.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm still on the boat of "something that escaped notice will be the 5th character", even if it's not from FE or Pokémon. Every character reveal pattern ended this way without fail so far, so I don't really expect that to change. Just hope the pass does well enough balance and reception-wise for the staff to consider a second one.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm still on the boat of "something that escaped notice will be the 5th character", even if it's not from FE or Pokémon. Every character reveal pattern ended this way without fail so far, so I don't really expect that to change. Just hope the pass does well enough balance and reception-wise for the staff to consider a second one.
This is why I feel at least 1 spirit will become playable. skurai keeps breaking every pattern. I could see him doing this for maximume wtf moments

Dukefire

Smash Master
He might maximize more WTF if a second DLC wave happens, but lets hold it off for now

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think since its been like 24 hours since I tagged I can tag again and people shouldn't cry double posting :)

So evo came and went, and while there were a bunch of cool reveals, nothing smash related. Not surprising at all.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Remember that Nintendo did show Hero's reveal before July Ended, so best that we will see more Smash Ultimate Announcements in September. Also, very close to Banjo Kazooie's arrival.

zferolie

Smash Hero
yeah I wasn't expecting a smash reveal, but would have been a huge shock if they did.

We'll see the next reveal either in the september direct, or suprise in the august nindies if its shantae (pipe dream that reveal)

Dukefire

Smash Master
I highly doubt shantae would make her smash reveal at the Nindies direct since the effect will overshadow the other games during the announcement.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It'd still be weird if she's a no-show again on Nindies, Smash or not. There was no reason whatsoever for Shantae 5 to miss out on the previous Nindies months ago. In any case, we'll find out later this month.

Also, imagine if Banjo wasn't shown off until Evo happened. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
It'd still be weird if she's a no-show again on Nindies, Smash or not. There was no reason whatsoever for Shantae 5 to miss out on the previous Nindies months ago. In any case, we'll find out later this month.

Shantae 5 probably wasn't ready at the time for any of its footage to be shown.
Banjo-Kazooie probably would have eaten Evo.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I don't think it was far along in development for it to have anything decent to show. We barely got a second of 'gameplay' from the Apple thing and nothing but an image from WayForward themselves in their announcement.
With the opening cinematic revealed to us recently I wouldn't call it a stretch if we got to see some gameplay in the next Nindies, which we could expect around the end of this month. I guess we could expect a tweet from WayForward before that, if it happens.
Regardless of Shantae 5 showing up or not, I'm always hyped to see an indies showcase! I love me some indies! I can't wait!

On a different note though, where are you guys currently at with Shantae in regards to Smash?
I personally have no idea anymore. Everything has been so ambiguous, but at the end of it all I can't help but have a ton of questions if she wouldn't be in.
From the speed this topic is going, you guys seem to be a bit burned out as well huh?

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
On a different note though, where are you guys currently at with Shantae in regards to Smash?
I personally have no idea anymore. Everything has been so ambiguous, but at the end of it all I can't help but have a ton of questions if she wouldn't be in.
From the speed this topic is going, you guys seem to be a bit burned out as well huh?
On the fence coz I don't know if Spirits are a death sentence or not yet. Kind of hoping any Spirit gets in at this point. Glad to have finally gotten Banjo-Kazooie in the game, so I'm satisfied, and will still be even if she won't join.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah I don't think it was far along in development for it to have anything decent to show. We barely got a second of 'gameplay' from the Apple thing and nothing but an image from WayForward themselves in their announcement.
With the opening cinematic revealed to us recently I wouldn't call it a stretch if we got to see some gameplay in the next Nindies, which we could expect around the end of this month. I guess we could expect a tweet from WayForward before that, if it happens.
Regardless of Shantae 5 showing up or not, I'm always hyped to see an indies showcase! I love me some indies! I can't wait!

For the last two spots in the pass that seems to be aiming for wow factor, it just seems like Shantae is getting closer and closer. Likely first-party candidates are probably too recent to be considered, older ones may not be hype enough outside of another themed pass of some sort, and the number of third party series with close ties to Nintendo like Banjo are dwindling. Joker was a semi-personal pick from Sakurai, Hero is part promotion for DQXI and just representing a huge japanese franchise in general, and Banjo is an old Nintendo fan-favourite largely only held back out of circumstance. The most likely franchises I see left are Monster Hunter which is already partly represented (can be seen as a good or bad thing), Rayman (but Ubisoft hasn't done much with him lately), Doom (they'd have to be very careful with the ratings, though) and, of course, Shantae. I know it's cliche to say this, but she'd still be a famous first for indies in Smash, and with how successful they are on Nintendo platforms could open the door to many more.

Dukefire

Smash Master
First, we did get an announcement for Shantae 5 in the making somewhere in March.
D2io5uLX0AA-zF9.jpg
Then, Shantae 5 opening was released on July 4 months later.
So, we may get a gameplay trailer somewhere in fall depending on how far WF is on completeing the game. Plus, Apple Arcade supports it with the grand opening this fall and its VERY small game preview of Shantae 5.

Edit: Pokémon Sword and Shield is getting another update announcement this Wednesday.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

As the 5 characters were chosen months ago, what we had to speculate on kinda dried up, I myself have shifted my focus on introducing the Shantae series to more people. She may not make it in Ult, but im gonna do my small part in to helping her get in to a future title.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
WayForward is doing character spotlights again, this time with River City Girls.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
>Sword and Shield update
Good, maybe they'll actually show the final evos this time.
Final evo's aren't likely to be shown off this early (if ever before release)

Both for XY, and Sun/Moon, the games released before officially revealing the final starter evos. Each time we only knew about them because of leaks (the one guy who got XY early and broadcasted his playthrough, and the Chinese anime character sheets for SuMo)

Honestly, all they really need to do is show up the second stage evos. If they match at all with what that one leaker (who has been right about literally everything else) then we can assume the same about what they said the final evos would be.

And Biometal, I could be wrong, but I think it was already revealed that Mawile was a raid boss in the wild area.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, we mentioned human Rotty possibly making a cameo in a natural school setting. But if we're going to raid a police station, how about the Hooligan Sisters?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Not sure if that'd be a good or bad thing since I've not been paying much attention to that feature.
It would be a good thing. It means they would be coded into the game and completely usable (except for it's mega evolution since megas are being dropped this time around) Basically it means you would get to catch it during a raid and then train it or breed it like you would any pokemon after that.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
It would be a good thing. It means they would be coded into the game and completely usable (except for it's mega evolution since megas are being dropped this time around) Basically it means you would get to catch it during a raid and then train it or breed it like you would any pokemon after that.
Yup. I just now searched and saw it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, we mentioned human Rotty possibly making a cameo in a natural school setting. But if we're going to raid a police station, how about the Hooligan Sisters?
It is possible for cameo's like that to happen, as apparently the shopkeeper seen in the video is Jimmy from Double Dragon Neon.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I sure hope to God that Shantae will be coming to Smash Bros. I think our best shot might be that September Direct that will come later this year and if not I sure hope Sakurai considers more DLC after the fighters pass. I can just say that Geno is my #1 but Shantae is in my top 3 (Along with Isaac but I am going to keep gunning for Golden Sun getting a new game first so relevancy ain't an issue).

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
relevancy.
Banjo-Kazooie ate that requirement.
Image of Banjo-Kazooie laughing hysterically, which I can't put because the website gave my phone that random "low storage space" bug again, which doesn't go away until after I restart it.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I highly doubt shantae would make her smash reveal at the Nindies direct since the effect will overshadow the other games during the announcement.
I didn't expect her to show up at last year's Nindies Direct, and I don't expect to see her at this year's either.

I'm in the mind set that Nintendo will announce the remaining 2 Season Pass characters whenever they want.

I think if they waited until EVO to show off Banjo & Kazooie our waited any longer, this community or the Banjo & Kazooie thread at least would be in a chaotic state of emotions right now.

Banjo-Kazooie ate that requirement.
Image of Banjo-Kazooie laughing hysterically, which I can't put because the website gave my phone that random "low storage space" bug again, which doesn't go away until after I restart it.jpg
The unrelavent argument died the moment K. Rool got in.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Nah.
K. Rool split it with them so that they could each dine together.

No, seriously. It not letting me post the meme I want to post is giving me nausea. 42% Storage Space used and yet still "no space available".

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nah.
K. Rool split it with them so that they could each dine together.

No, seriously. It not letting me post the meme I want to post is giving me nausea. 42% Storage Space used and yet still "no space available".
That makes a lot of sense. I hope they shared that unrelevant meat with Geno and that Ballot sauce with Shantae. Hopefully we can all party soon like it's 2015.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see soon on the coming fall months after Banjo Kazooie finally arrives to battle.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
[
I didn't expect her to show up at last year's Nindies Direct, and I don't expect to see her at this year's either.

I'm in the mind set that Nintendo will announce the remaining 2 Season Pass characters whenever they want.

I think if they waited until EVO to show off Banjo & Kazooie our waited any longer, this community or the Banjo & Kazooie thread at least would be in a chaotic state of emotions right now.

Agreed! With everything you've said. I would like to see something at the Nindies, but I don't know if it would make sense as they'll want RCG to hold onto their hype.

Nintendo is not going to reveal the other two until Banjo is out and about. People have moved passed hero and are already talking about Banjo, I'm sure they don't want that to happen with Banjo as well...

Top Bottom