• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SH-uairing on Keyboard

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
I used keyboard for maybe 2 years for PJ64, and I've learned its up and downs (mostly downs... cept for smash DI <3 which I don't use much anyway T.T... unlike Neph), and earlier tonight I discovered it is TECHNICALLY possible to short-hop uair on a keyboard... but not very practical :ohwell:

I think the mechanism behind it is similar to that of tilts-- to tilt on a keyboard, you need to have used the "lag" of another attack. In a KB SHuair, you need to be running, and then nearly at the EXACT same time, press both the c-button key and the up key, with the c-button key just a tad, just a TAD before "up". Then press whatever key you have binded to the a-button, and you'll SH-uair. Perhaps the relation to lag is that one is using the lag of the "run" to SH properly.

I practiced over and over and over again with like 5 characters, but its honestly too difficult to pull it off in a match. Most situations in which an SHuair is required aren't ones when you are running...perhaps with CF... but mario or luigi, whom it might seem most practical with (so you can chain it into a combo) is unfortunately too difficult to manage. His run is not only slow, but the timing of the uair would have to be so impeccable as to hit with the right "part of the hitbox" so to deal enough damage but at the same time keep them in range for a second aerial.

Also, when you perform the KB SHuair, you can't stand still...the character IS SHuairing in a forwards motion.

Oy.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
HAHAHA OH WOW

Um, shuair are EASY to do on keyboard when you're used to it, I do them all the time o_O; You don't have to be moving either.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Well then be specific on the plugin and plugin settings you use T.T

And I use NRage.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I personally think it's really easy. Just short-hop and press up during the jump-off-the-ground animation. Simple, no?

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
what i do is i jab so i can hold the up botton without jumping and with my finger kept on the up button i can do it

but practically i definately can't i'd be forcing myself just to do that move if i wanted to do it in a match

Nephiros

Smash Ace
I use Jabo btw, and really don't have ANY problem doing shuairs at any time.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Can someone teach me what Jabos is?

I'm confused with the terminology being said here,

Oh and Neph

I heard you have your arrow keys mapped out as WSAD, so i was wondering how you have the rest of it set up cause i feel more comfortable with my directionals being WSAD

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Uh? My setup is
Arrow keys = Control Stick
A = A
S = B
D = L
W = Z
F = C-button for Short-hop

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm not sure actually about whether or not it's the plugin, it might be the amount of deadzone you use, although too much deadzone makes it harder to do smash attacks.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
How do you adjust deadzone?

On jabo's it isn't even possible to alter the Default Stick range, let alone deadzone. How do you adjust deadzone on nrage's? All I seem to be able to do is alter the deazone of a "gamepad" not a "keyboard".

PS omfg/wenbo what are your plugin settings? AKA deadzone, modifiers, default stick range, etc.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Actually, Jabo ONLY lets you alter deadzone.
And BOF, I never play keyboard, so I really have no idea, but I'll twiddle with it for a while and post my specs when I've figured it out.

Ok, plugin I'm using is N-Rage's DirectInput8 V2 1.83. It used to be on 80% stick range and 10% deadzone, now it's 69% stick range and no deadzone. Using both settings I could still standing tilt by hitting Up and A at the same time. It's difficult because a lot of the time I'll hit A first and wind up jabbing. It seems to be about the same timing with falling Uairs. If you hit it too early, you'll Nair, too late and you'll use your second jump.

Solrac

Smash Rookie
hmm, if you mean SHuair without having ur upkey held before doing it then ya it's kinda difficult, i have never bothered to get used to it so i still cant do it frequently, but SHuair its pretty easy if you get used to holding ur up key before shorthopping, just like walking

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Ah, but that's what I mean! Its easy to Shuair if you're already holding the up-key, and its easy to tilt if you've done already done a tap-A.

What I'm trying to do is find an effective way of SHuairing that doesn't require one to use the lag of another attack on a keyboard.

But "apparently" this is already "very easy" according to Neph T.T

Edit: Wenbo I'll try that on Nrage's plugin but I think a stick range of 69% will either make me dash to easily or not dash at all (forced walking). Its hard, because once you have one thing down, a different mechanism gets screwed up. For example, low stick range means easy tilting and shuarings, but its impossible to dash no matter how hard you mash the keys. The opposite is true for high stick range-- easy dashing but you can't "walk" out of nothing.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't understand why you'd care about walking out of nothing, I thought that was actually impossible on the keyboard anyways, seeing that the keys don't register the amount of pressure put on the keys.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Well high stick range is "normality" on a keyboard-- "tilting out of nothing" IS impossible...except when the stick range is low. Easy shuairs mean low stick range... but low stick range means no running or smashes T.T

ARGH I should just get a 64 controller.

_kSo_

Smash Master
yea man just get a controller. if you only play keyboard you wont be able to play in any of my console tourneys :p.

But yea i never thought sh'ing on keyboard was possible :dizzy: but shuair?? wow..

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
i remember back in the day i was lamenting the impossibleness of the shuair, i had just gotten sh to work... and then my USB adaptoid arrived... OH HAPPY DAY.

Solrac

Smash Rookie
Well, i used to think short hopping was very difficult to frequently pull off during matches when i first learned about it, but now i can get it pretty easy.
Im thinking the same with shuair, once you get used to it its easy as neph says (like with everything else isnt it?)

The only thing i seem to be impossible is throwing link's boomerang in a 35º angle, since kb has 0% or 100% sensibility, thats the only drawback i see on keyboards vs controllers, but hey, i get easy di's :p

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
Just don't play link or fox ^.^ (that's easy for me to say)
SH uair isn't a necessity for fox imo u just maybe have the option to use it e.g. you dair your opponent and you expect him to roll away so you follow with the shuair (uairs easily rack up percent) most people in this case would go dair and then bair but uair is actually much more effective obviously

i dont mind not having the angles of links boomerang i dont think if i had a controller i would use the different angles anyway

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
When I said don't use Link or Fox, I ment Link's boomerange and Fox's up-B, in that they can only go cardinal directions on a keyboard... not about shuairs.

_kSo_

Smash Master
SH uair isn't a necessity for fox imo...
False.

Fox's sh uair is pretty important. it comes in handy when juggling the sh*t out of falcon as well as a combo starter. first of all, most characters do not succumb to the dair-dtilt/utilt-dair combo right away. they don't have enough damage, but with shuair, you'll be able to rack up some damage right away and then be able to do a sh dair-dtilt/utilt and then they'll go high enough to keep going. doing so on a falcon would be the best because of his height and weight. Also, it is probably one of the best ff uairs.

*edit*
500th post!
word. I'm a Smash Apprentice

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
i know how to sh uair with jabos now. it's really simple. all you have to do is do a shorthop then do an upsmash the picosecond your character starts the shorthop animation. it will do a shuair.

although it takes me 2 buttons on n-rage lol instead of like 5

But you might end up doing an up smash... Just try it. No holding the up button is necessary, even on Jabo's.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Its possible... just not practical based on its difficulty. A short-hop is easy, sure, but a Shuair requires that one hit the keys milliseconds between each other.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I can do it. I don't usually play using keyboard, but it's definitely possible to do consistently. However, I have to delay my smash timing a bit to get this to work, but I don't think that's a large sacrifice.

Top Bottom