• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Setting up MK's final smash

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
I usually play more serious matches when I get together with my friends with no items and neutral stages. Occasionally however, we play more relaxed leisure matches for fun with items on and we include the final smash. Many times thats the only item we include just to make the scramble to break it more chaotic ( MK seems to have an easy time breaking it once he's in the air.)

Obviously, this does not pertain to serious competitive play, but I want to have people's opinion on the best way to set up MK's final smash so that you can hit others.(You have to admit that Meta has one of the most awesome final smashes.:)) My friends have gotten quite good at spot-dodging and air-dodging the cape and it is quite annoying. If it wasn't for those GOD **** DODGES, I don't think I would ever miss.:mad: I want to know if there are any moves or set-ups that can lead into an inescapable cape hit.(Perhaps something that has enough hit stun to make dodging harder?)

Again, this is not anything useful for competitive play, but I would like to show my friends my mad cape skillz and let them know that EVERYONE will be punished whenever I get the smashball. ("BEHOLD!", screen blacks out... SLASH!!!, instant death. TOO awesome.) Any tidbits of advice will be greatly appreciated.:)

Chaotix_0

Smash Apprentice
This is a hard one for me to think of off the top of my head. I would think that if they had very low damage you could grab then and hit em after a throw, but also you might not score a K.O. with it at low %s. So I'm trying to think of a good set up move assuming they're already at moderate to high %.

Maybe start the F-Tilt combo but stop during it and hit B to cape em, not sure if that'll work. It'd be sweet if you hit em on the ground and predicted where they'd roll then tech chased caped em. I just dunno, I actually had the same problem in my matches so I tend to play as Zelda/Sheik because I like em more anyway and their final smashes are pretty easy to use.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
I can't think of a specific setup at the moment but just as a rule of thumb I would say to start combing more so they don't see it coming.

Obviously it's not a good idea to simply run up to someone and use it.

If you can get some combos in beforehand, they won't know exactly when you're planning on using it.

People typically do 2 things when someone else gets the smash ball: they play defensively and try to draw out your FS so they can dodge it, or they're confident enough to try to take it from you. Luckily, MK is all about offense. Hit them and use their stun time to your advantage; especially since MK's attacks are the fastest in the game. Don't forget it can be done in mid-air, so u-air or f-air into FS might work well with MK.

You can try some grab and tilt combos. I'm not sure what would work but maybe an up, forward, or down throw into a f-tilt or u-tilt and then BAM.

Cape.

MK_own

Smash Cadet
Well if your playing a free for all ,try to use the final smash when your opponents are least expecting it. Like when 2 of them are fighting eachother. Try some mind games.

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
Well if your playing a free for all ,try to use the final smash when your opponents are least expecting it. Like when 2 of them are fighting eachother. Try some mind games.
I admit that throwing the cape into the crowd is usually the best thing to do in FFA whenever possible. However, my annoying friends seem to always spread out as much as possible, and even occasionally cooperate to try to knock the smash ball out of me. They also seem to be bound to a peace treaty while I have my smash and they won't fight eachother until I am rid of the FS. In the end, unless I'm playing on very small stages, I am forced to usually go after only one of them. (If two are in range, I can expect at least one to dodge. They're very skilled at it.) They also tend to spam projectiles at me from quite a distance while I am forced to approach one of them to preserve my smash ball (D*** Pit!).

I am basically asking for advice on setting up the final smash in a more 1 vs. 1 setting. (In FFA, it seems more like 3 vs. 1 whenever I get the smash ball.:() I would finally like to say that I am grateful for everyone's posts thus far. Some have been very helpful and I would still like to test others's suggestions. Keep 'em comin'.:)

MK_own

Smash Cadet
The only thing that i can think of doing in a 1 on 1 match is to try to attack an opponent so that they are unable to dodge the attack.

Example: down grab then use it

^^ may not work all the time

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
Well, I've tested the F-tilt and it seems to be fairly easy to DI out of or airdodge the cape. I've had some sucess with the d-air but I don't believe it is inescapable. Downthrow works well, especially at low percentages if you can predict your opponent well and force him to do something unpredictable. However, what I strangely found out that seemed to work well was d-tilt. It may be situational, but if you get a trip in, it is an assured cape.:laugh: Just wanted to toss that option into the mix.

Top Bottom