• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Setting the world on fire: A new playstyle for Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I had discussed the idea of Bowser being able to create flames that endure on the stage for a set period of time in another thread and I'd like to flesh it out a bit here...

Either...
-Tapping Bowser's neutral B would cause him to spit a pool of fire (range TBD)
-After firebreath, the part of the stage where the breath hit would stay ignited for a time (duration TBD)

If Diddy can create two banana peels that will remain on the stage for a period of time, allowing him to set up trap pressure, there's no reason Bowser couldn't have something similar.

The way I see it, Bowser's biggest challenge stems from creating an opening in which he can use a kill move on his opponent. The fire game could effectively allow him to attempt to control the stage while he tries to maneuver his opponent into the fire.

Obviously, he could only have a certain number of active flames on the screen at the same time, but the goal isn't to cover the stage in fire so much as creating void zones in which Bowser can snare his opponents and then use the opportunity to land an actual killing blow.

Thoughts?

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I like it.

How about something that lasts about twice to three times as long as Ness's PK Fire once it hits an opponent? Or were you still thinking about going about the length of Diddy's bananas?

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
How about letting the B special Bowser has now leave a trail of flames on the ground after it's done. It wouldn't last too long (start to die out slowly and end around like 5 seconds after making) and would do damage without stunning the opponent (even while blocking). This would just help him to stack up damage better, allowing those few smashes you land to kill easier.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I like the idea conceptually, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more brutish within Bowser's moveset. The way I'm envisioning this fire trail, it's essentially a slower, lingering, multi-hitting PK Fire, something that would be more fitting for a craftier, more combo-happy character. If Bowser's Neutral Special were to get revamped at all, I'd prefer he spew a slow and powerful fireball projectile with a tap of the input, since almost no one just briefly taps it to breath fire, and because it's the first attack Bowser ever used within the Mario series.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I like the idea conceptually, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more brutish within Bowser's moveset. The way I'm envisioning this fire trail, it's essentially a slower, lingering, multi-hitting PK Fire, something that would be more fitting for a craftier, more combo-happy character. If Bowser's Neutral Special were to get revamped at all, I'd prefer he spew a slow and powerful fireball projectile with a tap of the input, since almost no one just briefly taps it to breath fire, and because it's the first attack Bowser ever used within the Mario series.
There's already a thread for that.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I would love a fireball as well.

Be it through stage flame or a fireball, the real bottom line is that Bowser NEEDS some means of applying pressure to his opponent or he'll be doomed to garbage tier. He's too big of a target to not get camped by projectile spammers who can not only outmaneuver him but also force him to approach every...single...time. If he could at least fire a projectile of his own, he may just have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom