• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Set ups

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
So I've been having a lot of trouble with any kind of set up recently, and I was hoping you guys could help. Particularly with my waveshine and grab set ups, I just mess up so many times it actually feels demoralizing.

For waveshining I try to do approaching SHFFL dairs, but I feel like that can be punished very easily, and either way, I tend to miss the l cancel a lot, so my shine is too late. Are there any other ways to set up a waveshine.

I feel like waveshine is, while one of fox's best tools, very dependent on the situation. Am I correct in thinking this?

For grabs I can't seem to do anything to set up for a grab other than a jab reset. I've been trying SHFFL nair to grab, but I can never get it. Is the timing really strict, does it have to be at a certain percentage, or is it just not a thing? I try to use SHFFL dair, and that has some success, but I feel like that's easy to exploit, so what are some other ways to set up for a grab or at least get the grab on an opponent (other than running up and grabbing m2k style?)

Last edited:

Pud'N

Smash Cadet
Fox has a lot of options in the neutral which you should apply, and Kira made a wonderful video that you should checkouthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7euwVDL_In4

As for your mess ups, the only option is practice. Nair is very good, but also very ccable early percents. Every combo in this game is a mixup for the most part, so getting a nair grab doesnt necessarily mean it always works at that percent/different di etc. Theres a lot of variables.

Aside from baiting out a whiff via DDing or some other thing, there arent that many setups designed specifically to net you a grab. Usually its more about getting a shine at low percents or aerial at mid ones for a hardknockdown, and techchasing into the most optimal punish, which is often is a grab.

Fox obviously has BnB setups and combos, as does every character, but also take into account that you will have often many BnBs for different scenarios, and you have to get accustomed to all of them.

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
So I've been having a lot of trouble with any kind of set up recently, and I was hoping you guys could help. Particularly with my waveshine and grab set ups, I just mess up so many times it actually feels demoralizing.

For waveshining I try to do approaching SHFFL dairs, but I feel like that can be punished very easily, and either way, I tend to miss the l cancel a lot, so my shine is too late. Are there any other ways to set up a waveshine.

I feel like waveshine is, while one of fox's best tools, very dependent on the situation. Am I correct in thinking this?

For grabs I can't seem to do anything to set up for a grab other than a jab reset. I've been trying SHFFL nair to grab, but I can never get it. Is the timing really strict, does it have to be at a certain percentage, or is it just not a thing? I try to use SHFFL dair, and that has some success, but I feel like that's easy to exploit, so what are some other ways to set up for a grab or at least get the grab on an opponent (other than running up and grabbing m2k style?)
Depending on the amount of hits you get from the d-air is when you should L-cancel. I recommend just paying attention to when you're about to hit the ground and L-cancelling, seeing as how the timing varies between how many hits you get. I don't really know much about grabs, I just go for them and get them, dash dance grab is good, so you could try that.

Top Bottom