• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Serious question: Am I the only one NOT bothered by lag?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well, button lag, at least. If the game slows down and gets all choppy for the entire match, that's more of a problem.

But seriously, having played games like Marvel vs. Capcom online, lag really has never seemed like such a big deal to me.

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
You are not the only one, I don't mind button lag, slowdown choppy lag though............

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The reason why button lag specifically is hated is because it lowers reaction time. You can't -think- about reaction time, it just happens, but since button lag present, you often get hit more than you should.

It's why slow, powerful characters like Bowser gain a buff from online because it's harder to dodge his attacks, and generally the reason why online tournaments are frowned upon.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I only care if I'm taking it seriously.
Which I'm usually not online.

It's just like, whatever. It doesn't matter.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥ I take it seriously when I am playing in an online tournament. ( There are actually prizes at stake mind you). ;)

♥ Most people I play in those tournaments have "bearable lag", but I hated when lost in a tournament to a guy I brawled in MEXICO! (Red Connection):mad:

♥ But most other times, I just shrug it off...
And always pull out the lag excuse. ^__^

Meadow

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, I don't really mind lag all that much. If I do get lag however (I tend to get smooth matches more often than laggy matches...), I just wait for the match to end and leave the room.

It's really not that a big of a deal to me, it's the items that are bothering me online.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Actually, Quite recently, I've played many smooth matches on 'Anybody."

♥Although, Most of them turned into Taunt Raves. ;)

metroid1117

Smash Master
I see it as Brawl with button lag > no Brawl at all. It's gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i don't know why so many ppl complain about lag...probably just so they can make excuses for poor play

sure its a little annoying but usually bearable

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Button lag just means you need better mindgames and positioning. A good strategy beats reaction time any day, especially in Brawl and especially online.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well, I admit that I don't play as Zelda much, so I can't say one way or another one that.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
♥Actually, Quite recently, I've played many smooth matches on 'Anybody."

♥Although, Most of them turned into Taunt Raves. ;)
If you don't want taunt raves anymore, the Team Battle feature works very well. I usually go to that now, because people actually fight there.

Button lag just means you need better mindgames and positioning. A good strategy beats reaction time any day, especially in Brawl and especially online.
Yes, but what if you get caught in a jam that requires that you're fast on your brain AND fingers?
What if your strategy/counter-strategy required fast reaction?

Can't do it if you have that lag on you. And I GUARANTEE you that you will be caught in a couple of bad situations where that if you were playing offline, you could've made it. But because of the lag, you're dead.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but what if you get caught in a jam that requires that you're fast on your brain AND fingers?
What if your strategy/counter-strategy required fast reaction?

Can't do it if you have that lag on you. And I GUARANTEE you that you will be caught in a couple of bad situations where that if you were playing offline, you could've made it. But because of the lag, you're dead.
You're referring to the cruel, indiscriminate X factor of Brawl. For me it's part of the reason I play!

Inuyfreak

Smash Rookie
Button lag usually KILLS my ness's recovery,either that or severely screws it up :/

Nintendood

Smash Cadet
i would mind if i was getting button lag and by opponent wasn't. but since that isn't the case, not really.

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
Maybe for the tournaments you could have like only Telstra broadband users or something so everyone uses the same connection in that tournament. That way reduce most of the lag?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Button lag is fine, I just can't stand screen-delay...

...I like it when my Sonic moves in a semi-fluid manner.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
A little bit for my case. Every time I go in a match with my Samus, she doesn't like to recover that much. I get knock off. I try to do something interesting to come back on the stage, but I end of falling afterward. It does it to me many times when I'm her. ;_;

mc4

Smash Journeyman
i don't mind the normal lag, it just takes some time to get used to but once your used to it it isn't that bad, it just forces you to play more careful at times especially when approaching an opponent. shield dashes etc.

Top Bottom