• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Sep 23, 2015] ESI Presents: OSU Smash & Grab Bi-Weeklies (Columbus, OH)

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman

OSU Smash & Grab
A Local Smash Bros. Bi-weekly Tournament
September 23th, 2015
Columbus, OH
Introduction

We have experience with events ranging from 100-400 in size and with the recent success of Shuffle VII we are looking to host smaller events! Our goal now is increase Smash awareness at The Ohio State University. We hope that students at The Ohio State University who love or have interest in Smash Bros. will come out and play with others that have the same interests by hosting bi-weekly tournaments!
The Columbus Smash Scene has grown tremendously over the past few years and we are responding to the passion shown by our community in Ohio by hosting such an event. I hope you will consider coming to our event because we have so much to offer!

• Columbus Community - We have one of the biggest Smash scenes and best Smashers in the Midwest.
  • Spectating is free of charge.
  • Our TO Staff has been through a lot together and our experience will provide a quality experience.

E-Sports Initiative (formerly OSI) is a student organization that partners with companies in the digital media and e-sports industries. We equip entry-level talent with the skills, insight, and experiences that will help them launch their careers in the rapidly-maturing interactive media and video game development space, while connecting companies in the industry to this talent pool. As of fall 2013, E-Sports Initiative is focused on addressing the specific subset of STEM education that relates to the video game industry- computer science and engineering, data analytics, mathematics, and technical design and graphics. We aim to provide certification programs, unique insight into the industry, and networking and leadership development opportunities to future employees in the industry on a national scale through our network.

- Venue -
Baker Systems Engineering 120
1971 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210

- Money -
Singles $3 per event
Venue: $2 per event
Free if not participating

$1 discount if a setup is brought and used.
Please bring setups!

Payouts
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%
4th Entry fee back

- Registration -
Pre-Registration is not mandatory for the first event. But we may have a pre-registration open up later.

- Schedule -
We have the room from 7:30pm to 10:30pm. The tournament bracket will start no later than 8:00pm.
7:30 - Room opens and Registration begins
7:50 - Registration closes
8:00 - Bracket begins at latest
10:30 - Venue closes

List of Events (2 total)
Project M
Smash 4 Singles

- Rules -

Stocks: 4
Time Limit: 8 Minutes
Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
Wobbling is legal. Wobbling beyond 300% will result in forfeit of the current match.
Dave's Stupid rule: You cannot counter pick any stage you have won in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Stage List:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

Striking will be done in a 1-2-1 fashion

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

* 2 stock, 6:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Custom Moves are not allowed.
* Mii Fighters are allowed (1-1-1-1)
* Custom Equipment is banned.
* You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Best out of 5 sets will only have one ban
* All finals sets are best out of 5
* All controllers are allowed so long as they do not disrupt gameplay in your sets or anyone elses. If you are caught tampering with another person's match or your own you will be swiftly disqualified. Always desync.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1-2-1″ fashion:
1. First player strikes two stages.
2. Second player strikes three stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stage list: 2 Bans
Starters:

Battlefield/MiiVerse
-Town and City
-Smashville
-Dreamland
-Final Destination (Including all Omega)

Counterpicks:
-Duck Hunt
-Lylat Cruise
-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd
-Castle Siege

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban

4 Stock, 8:00 Minute Timer
All Items Set to OFF, Item Frequency set to NONE
Input Assist set to OFF
Ties after time limit is reached are determined by stocks, then percentage
You cannot counter-pick any stage you have won on unless it's agreed upon by the opponent.
The TO Staff reserves the right to change rule sets prior to the event.

Stage Striking
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Starter
Battlefield
Dreamland
Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville

Counterpick
Final Destination
Warioware
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Yoshi's Story (Singles Only)
Fountain of Dreams
Delphino's Secret (Doubles Only)

After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans

Special Rules

-B.Y.O.C. (Bring your own controller)
-If friendlies are played when tournament matches can be played. You will be charged $5 for the next event. Friendlies can be played once the TO's give the okay to do so.

These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Operators (Dylan Fraley, John Kwon, Derek Spinnel, and Mark Ebert ) reserve the right to remove you from the venue at their discretion for any reason. Note: ESI and its members, the Ohio State Student Union and its affiliates, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event, nor will they be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Future Events
10/21/2015
11/4/2015
11/18/2015
12/2/2015​

Last edited:

ComeT____

Smash Rookie
Is there an age limit? Also does the smash 4 bracket start at the same time as melee?

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I said this on the FB page, but I'll say it again here:

I have a WiiU setup but no TV. Will there be extra TV's there where I could hook my setup for tourney matches and such?

Also, I have a Game Capture device so when the tourney gets to Top 8 and whatnot, the matches that are played on my setup I could have the replays saved and then I could upload them later via Youtube

Thoughts?

ComeT____

Smash Rookie
I said this on the FB page, but I'll say it again here:

I have a WiiU setup but no TV. Will there be extra TV's there where I could hook my setup for tourney matches and such?

Also, I have a Game Capture device so when the tourney gets to Top 8 and whatnot, the matches that are played on my setup I could have the replays saved and then I could upload them later via Youtube

Thoughts?
I'm not associated with ESI but that sounds like a good idea

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
The next Bi-weekly will be this Wednesday, on October 7. The event will take place at Bakers System Engineering 120. This time we will be having Project M instead of Melee.
Due to lack of setups previously, we will have a $1 discount if a setup is brought and used.

Rookie06

Smash Rookie
So to enter you just need to show up to the venue? I have not yet been to a tournament but I'm interested in coming since I'm a student living on campus.

Additionally, I don't have a GCN controller in possession, so would I be unable to participate in Melee?

I'd like to do at least Smash 4 though with Wii U Pro controller.

Are there online brackets / streams going on for these also?

Top Bottom