• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Semi-useless new technique :/

Snail

Smash Lord
So, after seeing the GFSC thread in tactical discussion (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197100) I figured I'd try doing this with Olimar. The only thing I could actually hit with after a footstool is a Dair (the timing is pretty strict but it works). At 0%, this just gives your opponent some damage and allow them to shield right after (it can make them trip, but it's not very reliable) but at higher percentages, say, 40%, it will pop them up slightly. This will allow you to fastfall, nair, upsmash. At even higher percentages, you can do a falling Uair and hit them with that, or another dair.

Well, this isn't too useful but I thought you guys might like to know, since yeah. Last time we found something new was I dunno, 3 months ago?

Try experimenting with it, see if we can come up with anything good. If you find out it doesn't work, that's fine either. Anything. <_<

RichBrown

Smash Master
I secondary kirby and that was a freaking cool thing for his hammer.

This is useful for all characters for stopping MK's glide, but the thing is, with all the characters in that video they followed it up with an aerial. Like you said, if it is possible to follow up the footstool with a guaranteed Dair, that would rock because you can easily land a Usmash, which is a great killing move against MK.

as for setting this up against other characters, that'd probably be difficult. But the fact that this allows for Olimar to get MK up in the air by countering the glide attack like this makes this technique extremely useful, even for this one isolated scenario.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
I kinda thought this was known, but I guess not. And dair is the best thing when footstooling on the ground.

I'm working on some new things, but kinda want to get them down before posting. I guess since this came up I will go ahead and spoil one of the things i'm working on.

Upthrow -> Footstool -> Dair.

Dthrow is harder to land the footstool, but possible. I really don't want to make a whole thread about this yet as I haven't been able to do it very consistently. Best use for this is spiking at the edge.

1 more tip. Dair after a grab. Just to change things up. Don't see anyone dairing after dthrow. It has its uses.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody know the exact positioning at which you can perform a footstool on someone (i.e., can you be to the side of them or do you have to be right above them)? I don't use footstool enough and need to start.

Snail

Smash Lord
I secondary kirby and that was a freaking cool thing for his hammer.

This is useful for all characters for stopping MK's glide, but the thing is, with all the characters in that video they followed it up with an aerial. Like you said, if it is possible to follow up the footstool with a guaranteed Dair, that would rock because you can easily land a Usmash, which is a great killing move against MK.

as for setting this up against other characters, that'd probably be difficult. But the fact that this allows for Olimar to get MK up in the air by countering the glide attack like this makes this technique extremely useful, even for this one isolated scenario.
I agree, the hammer one looked awesome :D The best way to set this up so far is to footstool someone while they're shielding. It still requires some weird positioning though, and it's not too easy to pull off, but still I guess it's a nice thing to know.

I kinda thought this was known, but I guess not. And dair is the best thing when footstooling on the ground.

I'm working on some new things, but kinda want to get them down before posting. I guess since this came up I will go ahead and spoil one of the things i'm working on.

Upthrow -> Footstool -> Dair.

Dthrow is harder to land the footstool, but possible. I really don't want to make a whole thread about this yet as I haven't been able to do it very consistently. Best use for this is spiking at the edge.

1 more tip. Dair after a grab. Just to change things up. Don't see anyone dairing after dthrow. It has its uses.
Meh, guess it was known. Never had a name though, and I don't think people found the aerial hammer / headbutt ones before. And I never saw it before so I figured I'd just make a thread and see what you guys think. ^^:

As for uthrow-footstool-dair, can you do footstool-dairs in the air? I've been trying but it seems extremely hard because the footstool sends your opponent downwards and Olimar upwards. There's either a few frames in which you can do this or just none at all :/ It might work though. I'll try again.

Dair after a grab... It might be fun to mix things up but it doesn't do a whole lot of damage, especially not compared to dthrow-fsmash-dthrow-usmash-uair or things like that. It seems more useful if you're good at tech chasing since you can just grab them again... Does dthrow-dair-dsmash work?

Does anybody know the exact positioning at which you can perform a footstool on someone (i.e., can you be to the side of them or do you have to be right above them)? I don't use footstool enough and need to start.
Pretty much straight above. You can be a bit off, but you basically have to touch the opponent's head to footstool jump.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Footstool to dairs in the air are kinda old. There has been a few threads on the subject. I thought I would try my luck at doing it out of a grab since that's what Olimar is amazing at.

You can't hold the jump button down or you fly to far up. You have to quickly press the jump button to bascially short hop the footstool(short footstool??) then dair. Timing is strict, but I think Olimar needs a little more challenging maneuvers.

And dair out of a grab does lag them a little, but it is basically the same time it takes Olimar to recover from a dair. I tried grab - dair - nair, but wasn't successful. Fastfalling the dair causes landing lag, so its probably impossible to grab - dair - dsmash, unless your opponent just sits there.

Snail

Smash Lord
Footstool to dairs in the air are kinda old. There has been a few threads on the subject. I thought I would try my luck at doing it out of a grab since that's what Olimar is amazing at.

You can't hold the jump button down or you fly to far up. You have to quickly press the jump button to bascially short hop the footstool(short footstool??) then dair. Timing is strict, but I think Olimar needs a little more challenging maneuvers.

And dair out of a grab does lag them a little, but it is basically the same time it takes Olimar to recover from a dair. I tried grab - dair - nair, but wasn't successful. Fastfalling the dair causes landing lag, so its probably impossible to grab - dair - dsmash, unless your opponent just sits there.
I see... Well in that case, dthrow-dair combo's seem rather useless. The lag is pretty bad indeed and your opponent can just roll away. <_<

I only knew of TL's footstool->dair. Thought he was the only one who could do it. But I guess the "short footstool" thing makes sense. I'll try that...

It seems like the only real use for this technique is doing it on MK's glide attack or punishing laggy attacks at medium percentages x_x

Cook

Smash Master
Wouldn't it almost always be better to just grab them than to footstool to d-air them if they have enough lag to let you run up and footstool them?

Snail

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it almost always be better to just grab them than to footstool to d-air them if they have enough lag to let you run up and footstool them?
I don't think there's a reliable way to get a footstool out of a grab. Apparently you can Uthrow-footstool at lower percentages, but at those percentages dthrow-usmash-uair-uair/upB will probably always be a better option.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
You can footstool-dair out of an upthrow or dthrow until around 40%. After that its nearly impossible.

But think about at the edge. Upthrow to footstool-dair = instant spike. I really don't see how racking up damage is better then killing?

Anyway, I wasn't ready to talk about this technique yet as I can rarely do it. I'll bring it back up later when I have perfected it along with the other stuff I'm working on.

Snail

Smash Lord
You can footstool-dair out of an upthrow or dthrow until around 40%. After that its nearly impossible.

But think about at the edge. Upthrow to footstool-dair = instant spike. I really don't see how racking up damage is better then killing?

Anyway, I wasn't ready to talk about this technique yet as I can rarely do it. I'll bring it back up later when I have perfected it along with the other stuff I'm working on.
At the edge that is pretty amazing xD Sounds really flashy! I'm going to practice that :laugh:

Cook

Smash Master
I don't think there's a reliable way to get a footstool out of a grab. Apparently you can Uthrow-footstool at lower percentages, but at those percentages dthrow-usmash-uair-uair/upB will probably always be a better option.
No, what I mean is it is better to grab your opponent than to footstool and d-air them. This technique is all about footstooling a grounded opponent so that they have just enough lag for you to get off a good attack, like Kirby and DK's >Bs, right? All Olimar can get out of this technique is a d-air. It seems like it would be best to just grab, since anytime you could run up and footstool them you could also grab them. I'm not talking about grab to footstool combos, just grounded footstool combos.

Snail

Smash Lord
No, what I mean is it is better to grab your opponent than to footstool and d-air them. This technique is all about footstooling a grounded opponent so that they have just enough lag for you to get off a good attack, like Kirby and DK's >Bs, right? All Olimar can get out of this technique is a d-air. It seems like it would be best to just grab, since anytime you could run up and footstool them you could also grab them. I'm not talking about grab to footstool combos, just grounded footstool combos.
Oh right. Yeah, grabbing is always the better option... This is actually quite useless.

On a side note, I've been trying to do the Uthrow-footstool-Dair, but it only works at really low percentages and it's quite useless. ._.

Top Bottom