• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary to complement ike

Seguleh

Smash Rookie
Hey fellas,

New to the boards but I main Ike and really enjoy it, however my friend plays primarily characters that give him a hard time (Sheik, Toon Link, Rob). I can beat him but honestly he's a little bit better then me as is so adding a negative match up isn't helping.

I'm looking to pick up a dedicated secondary to help with this kind of problem. Advice on those matchups and a character more suited to them would be great.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm no matchup wizard tbh, but Mario is pretty decent against just about everyone, and as such makes a great pocket character.

That said, I think that before resorting to picking up a secondary just to cope with some difficult situations, you should try and learn to deal with these matchups as Ike. Learning how to mitigate a characters faults is a very important part of learning them.

Seguleh

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm no matchup wizard tbh, but Mario is pretty decent against just about everyone, and as such makes a great pocket character.

That said, I think that before resorting to picking up a secondary just to cope with some difficult situations, you should try and learn to deal with these matchups as Ike. Learning how to mitigate a characters faults is a very important part of learning them.
Oh yeah I'm well aware. I Play Ike for at least 2 hours of every 3, just figure when I play another character I should at least be conscious of my mains weaknesses. Thanks for the input, though!

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I think secondaries for Ike go into two directions.

If you're one to struggle against projectiles/defensive play, you can play somehow either has a good match-up/disrupts camp, or has really powerful aggression.

I like Pit/Wolf/Lucas honestly. Falco works too. I personally am experimenting with ZSS.

If you tend to get wrecked for having people on top of your shield, a good OoS option is pretty useful.

Any character with a good sex kick honestly fits this.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Honestly, Ike has the tools to function in pretty much every match-up. He's not nearly as polarized as say, Zard or Bowser and has a very 'complete' feel to his kit. He always has options in every fight and never truly feels like he can't do Ike things and use his ridiculous disjoint, power and burst speed in the right situations.

Don't try to find a loophole to work around his weaknesses. It will split your focus and it will affect your mastery of the game. Embrace his limitations and learn to work around them - it comes with figuring out a character and getting better as a player. Keep people out of your space, work on your mobility and punishes and improve your techskill be it with WDOoS, wavelanding around on platforms or offstage shenanigans. Above all, learn to read.

Important thing to learned with well designed characters like Ike: Ike isn't the one that's limited, it's the player. Break your f***ing limits. QD right past them and into the waiting squishy hurtboxes of your victims, screaming maniacally all the way. That's how you Ike.

Seguleh

Smash Rookie
Ha, will do. I still like to play other characters occasionally, but I will keep that in mind. I do play exclusively Ike in competition. His on hit sound effects are easily the most satisfying.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking at Pit, Lucas, Snake, Pikachu, and Tink for different reasons: (but mostly because I want to have someone to combat projectiles)

Pit - Arrows look like they required precision so you can really complain if I hit multiple in a row without moving towards you... because that would funk up my aim.
Lucas - I like how side-b gives them enough hitstun to where I can close the gap and make it CQC
Snake - Did I mention CQC? What character with projectiles has a more flashy CQC game? (and a manly one at that)
Pika - I think Pika has untapped potential and I just want to try him out.
Tink - Swords for days. That F-smash is just a 'beaut.

Out of these 5, whichever one I have the most fun with is what I'm going to play. I may switch secondaries between these 5 from time to time depending on how I feel the character is viable/fun/my style.

Edit- I picked Pika. but i'll still play w/ snake.

Last edited:

Dirty American Devil

Smash Rookie
I had actually been wondering this same thing.

I have only played Project M in the smash series and have only been playing about 4.5 months... the majority of which with Ike. All of that to say this: I am not completely comfortable with all of the mechanics of the game. I can do a decent amount of Ike specific things, but swapping to another character is a little embarrassing in how bad I am with them.

So which character(s) would not only compliment Ike well as a secondary, but also inform me (as a player) more about the game in general (ie physics, spacing, approaches, baits, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for the responses guys.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I had actually been wondering this same thing.

I have only played Project M in the smash series and have only been playing about 4.5 months... the majority of which with Ike. All of that to say this: I am not completely comfortable with all of the mechanics of the game. I can do a decent amount of Ike specific things, but swapping to another character is a little embarrassing in how bad I am with them.

So which character(s) would not only compliment Ike well as a secondary, but also inform me (as a player) more about the game in general (ie physics, spacing, approaches, baits, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for the responses guys.
Mario would be good.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Duel maining with Meta Knight is hands down the best decision I've made.
The two provide brilliant coverage for each other.

NWRL

Smash Ace
I've been looking into Link and MK to complement my Ike. I think Link covers a lot of matchups for Ike and they're both heavy hitters

MLGF

Smash Lord
What match-ups does MK struggle with that Ike excels at?
I think Ike covers the Marth, Sonic, (non-Falco) spacies, Mario, Zelda, Ness, Lucas, Luigi, and a few more far better then MK. MK has quite a few matchups with Ike which are about even so that's not too bad. The only matchups I think that it doesn't cover for me ATM are Meta Knight (hate the ditto) himself, DK, and Mewtwo... Anyways the above list isn't to say MK is horrible in these, but Ike does do therm far better. I wish I could list a larger quantity of people I feel Ike beats, but CT has a PM scene consisting mostly of Ness/Fox/Meta Knight/Marth for some reason... at least at the weeklies I've attended.

Last edited:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
It could be because I don't face many good Bowsers, but I feel like Ike has a better time with Bowser than MK

MLGF

Smash Lord
I mean, there are many more (Bowser is one) but I don't remember them all on the top of my head.

Commander

Smash Ace
I main Default Ike while seconding Brown Ike. Default Ike is a very solid character but I feel he falls behind in a few match ups like the Marth match up. In those match ups I prefer to switch to Brown Ike who is able to react much better than Default Ike. I'm considering switching mains to Brown Ike though as I have gotten more comfortable with him rather than Default Ike.

Top Bottom