• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary for ZSS

Jayse14

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jayse14
Hey all, I'm trying to find a good secondary for ZSS, but am having a hard time deciding. I can't seem to find a character that helps me with all the matchups I despise, so I was thinking perhaps someone with more experience may be able to offer some insight?

The matchups I hate the most are Mario and Pikachu (and Shiek but I think that's probably a given)

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
ZSS is a solo viable main, but if you're really having trouble then try a pocket Luigi or Mario.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
:4pikachu:: :4yoshi:,:4lucario:, and :4mario: would be a problem for the yellow since they can deal with jolts, fight better in the air, jiggle him, and ko better. :4luigi: because he's Pikachu's worst MU due to better damage output, getting out of combos with n-air, ko better, better throws, set ups, befits from rage more, and his deadly up smash beats out aerials, inclduing QA.

:4mario:: :4luigi:because almost the same as:4pikachu:. :4marth:,:rosalina:, and:4link: can give Mario trouble because of their range and ability to edgeguard him. :4drmario:,:4pikachu:, :4fox:, :4falcon:, :4peach:, :4lucina:, :4tlink:, :4metaknight:, :4ryu:, :4ness:, and :4lucas:all have even MUs on Mario so ask me about one of the if you want to know why.
That MU with:4zss:is even, but if you are struggle against him, I would say pick one of those characters from above.

:4sheik:: :4lucario: is the only tough, but ok MU for Sheik and I watch a video of Zero facing a Lucario player, but it was one match with them at the tournament and I will show it to you, later. :4mario:,:4pikachu:, or :4kirby: I would pull out against Sheik when I lose with my Luigi. It may be slightly in her favor, but they're my mains and can do well against her.

This is from my personal experience, but still good choices to cover ZZS's bad MUs.
I'll come back and fill in some more information.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
I'm still looking for a secondary myself. The primary, first and foremost quality this secondary must have for me is to relibly beat shields because of ZSS' virtual lack of a grab in the neutral. Secondary is to be able to beat Pikachu, Kirby, and Jigglypuff reliably, but that's only secondary.

Those that fit that criteria (for me) are Mario, Luigi, Sheik, Wario, Diddy Kong, Pits, and Meta Knight, but those are just my opinion.

Last edited:

Jayse14

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jayse14
Ok, I do play Luigi quite a bit on the side so perhaps I'll start focusing on him as a secondary. Thanks a lot for the input guys! :)

David Viran

Smash Lord
Ya'll are putting way too much thought into this. The obvious choice is sheik if you really need a secondary.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Ya'll are putting way too much thought into this. The obvious choice is sheik if you really need a secondary.
The obvious choice is Sheik for a primary, unless you like other characters more.

David Viran

Smash Lord
The obvious choice is Sheik for a primary, unless you like other characters more.
Exactly. The question was who covers all of zss's bad MU's and sheik does. He never said he despised playing sheik or anything.

Last edited:

NeoSeth

Smash Cadet
I maintain that it's better for you to press ahead with solo-maining ZSS. She has a lot of potential that requires practice and time to tap into (Crazy aerial combos, d-smash follow-ups, flip kick traps, paralyzer setup, etc.), and if you press forward with developing her you will find ways to deal with many of your difficult match-ups, and may in fact find some to be in your favor. For example, I struggled a LOT with Luigi, but I've been pressing forward and what do you know, once I improved as a player I found that ZSS actually has a super strong match-up on Luigi. Often times you can discover how to turn a match-up to your favor just by spending more time experimenting with your primary character's kit.

Also, if you divide your time between two characters, you will probably find that you are not nearly as proficient with them as you could be had you stuck with just one. Being an excellent ZSS is often better and more rewarding than being a mediocre ZSS and a mediocre second character. I would press forward with ZSS before deciding you need a secondary.

Jayse14

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jayse14
I maintain that it's better for you to press ahead with solo-maining ZSS. She has a lot of potential that requires practice and time to tap into (Crazy aerial combos, d-smash follow-ups, flip kick traps, paralyzer setup, etc.), and if you press forward with developing her you will find ways to deal with many of your difficult match-ups, and may in fact find some to be in your favor. For example, I struggled a LOT with Luigi, but I've been pressing forward and what do you know, once I improved as a player I found that ZSS actually has a super strong match-up on Luigi. Often times you can discover how to turn a match-up to your favor just by spending more time experimenting with your primary character's kit.

Also, if you divide your time between two characters, you will probably find that you are not nearly as proficient with them as you could be had you stuck with just one. Being an excellent ZSS is often better and more rewarding than being a mediocre ZSS and a mediocre second character. I would press forward with ZSS before deciding you need a secondary.
I've kind of had this thought in the back of my head recently. I think my problem is that I've hit a ceiling with my practicing, and so learning a 2nd character seems easier than attempting to perfect ZSS, but I agree that solo practicing ZSS is probably smarter. (And yeah I refuse to play Shiek, probably should have mentioned that lol)

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
ZSS is a solo main character, so I would approach the characters you have issues with with the following mindset: "Why am I losing to this character?" I feel like you can do two things. Learn the match-up and how to properly counter it with ZSS and/or narrow down WHICH characters you lose to and pick a counter. I would not recommend Sheik, but maybe more of a spacey character. Me personally, I use Link and ZSS. While I'm not a top player - this combination seems to work for most MU situations for me. When I lose, I lose not because of the MU but because I was outplayed. My two cents!

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
the most hilarious thing. dual main ZSS and Marth. Just change between them and kill people with shield mind games:)

Top Bottom