• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary for Mario.

CtrlAltDefeated

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm a new smasher and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what secondary I should look at to aid with Mario's bad match-ups. Also training with just Mario while fun for a few hours a day can get a little boring when I don't have another character to play for a while. I'm looking to enter a tournament very soon around my area, hope I can do the Mario mains proud!

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
PEACH! :D no jk i'm biased~ (srsly tho, peach is a solid character but requires a lot of dedication and doesn't really cover mario's bad MUs so yeah :p) i'd say mario is pretty solid in close combat and has cape to deal with zoners so if you'd want anything out of a second it'd be range/disjoint/zoning. yoshi is not too much of a skill gap coming from mario and can zone well with his eggs, has pretty good range and aerial mobility and he's pretty heavy to boot. oh and did i mention he can kill like crazy? tons of kill options, no kill throw unfortunately. adversely, if you have trouble in neutral and want a character who can skip neutral entirely, maybe try pikachu. he's def a contender for top tier and although he has a high skill cap, isn't the most complicated character in the game and his juggling game is not too different from mario's either. those are my two best suggestions if you don't want to just sell out entirely and go sheik lol.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I usually go full Mario while having Wario as my sub-main, but I choose my characters based on if I like to play them or not. As for your question, a ranged character like Roy or Link could be useful. Rosalina is one of Mario's worse matchups but I've seen that characters with ranged attacks do well against her.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
When I started playing :4mario:, my two other mains were :4drmario: and :4luigi:. And I think it can help any Mario player to play, secondary or even main one of those two characters.

Doc helps you learn how to recover safely, as well as make you learn a defensive playstyle, that you can re-use as Mario. It helps you zone with the pills, and having more precision since Doc needs to be precise. In short, Doc learns you how to be defensive, a good thing to learn for Mario.

Luigi on the other hand helps you learn combos and not getting hit. Luigi is pretty light/floaty, so it makes you learn how to not take a lot of damage, to not getting killed early. He also helps for the recovery even more, though he has a much safer one compared to Doc.

All and all, those 2 characters can help you progress your Mario if you play them. I think it's good to main those two if you want to improve your Mario overall.

But that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

GoldenMasterSword

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldMasterSword
3DS FC
5241-2079-3500
For me personally, full Mario seems to be the way to go. Especially if you say you're a "new Smasher" and you're trying to avoid bad matchups (I'm in and out of my Smash 4 scene so I'm doing this myself). Do you know why exactly those matchups are bad? Have you played them enough to be extremely uncomfortable with using only Mario?

rabbitxp

Smash Rookie
i always mained mario but recently i found a good second in ryu if you have the dlc characters

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Mario is a very aerial combo based character. Other characters like this are:
Dr. Mario
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Kirby
R.O.B
Villager

I would recommend one of these characters. However, if you want a different character than Mario I would recommend a grounded character that doesn't rely on combos:
Little Mac
Donkey kong
Falco(he's actually more of a grounded character now)
Bowser
Robin
Ganondrof

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Is megaman a good secondary?
My secondary is megaman, and I can say I think he is definitely a solid secondary (he covers luigi/sonic matchups really nicely). Though the same reason he is a good secondary imo is the same reason it's hard to make him your secondary. That is to say, he plays nothing like mario. With mario you go in often high pressure and hard reads. With mega, you're supposed to stay away and play zoney/campy with projectiles until openings present themselves.

If you want to pick him up I'd recommend him, but be prepared to spend ALOT of investment time in learning him. he isn't a quick character to pick up, as he's got ALOT of tricks with his metal blade alone(thing is godly).

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
My secondary is megaman, and I can say I think he is definitely a solid secondary (he covers luigi/sonic matchups really nicely). Though the same reason he is a good secondary imo is the same reason it's hard to make him your secondary. That is to say, he plays nothing like mario. With mario you go in often high pressure and hard reads. With mega, you're supposed to stay away and play zoney/campy with projectiles until openings present themselves.

If you want to pick him up I'd recommend him, but be prepared to spend ALOT of investment time in learning him. he isn't a quick character to pick up, as he's got ALOT of tricks with his metal blade alone(thing is godly).
Tbh Megaman is my main and Mario my secondary, I used to play Mario casually before and now I thought he would be a good secondary

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Tbh Megaman is my main and Mario my secondary, I used to play Mario casually before and now I thought he would be a good secondary
Mario is prob a very solid megaman 2ndary for the same reasons megas a good 2ndary for mario then lol. They offer very different options and ways to handle oponents ^.^

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
I usually go full Mario while having Wario as my sub-main, but I choose my characters based on if I like to play them or not. As for your question, a ranged character like Roy or Link could be useful. Rosalina is one of Mario's worse matchups but I've seen that characters with ranged attacks do well against her.
There was actually a brief discussion on the Wario boards talking about this. Do you guys think Mario and Wario pair up well? Why or why not?

Top Bottom