• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary for Luigi?

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I feel like 70-90% of the time I'll be playing Luigi in tournament matches, but for the times when I won't I'd like a secondary that covers Luigi's weaknesses. I believe that Luigi sometimes struggles against characters with stellar projectiles or characters with great range. Does anyone know of a good secondary that could cover such problems (or if I was wrong about what he suffers from, then a secondary that covers his actual weaknesses)? Once again, I'll often use Luigi even in these situations but I'd like to have an alternative anyways. Here are some characters I was considering:

King Dedede- only problem is that certain projectiles seem to shut him down
Peach- Seems like she would work and I like the playstyle but a lot of people think she's not too strong in PM
ROB- Seemed perfectly fine but I then heard somewhere that Meta knight destroys both Luigi and ROB
Ike- My friend mains Ike, and I simply don't wish to double up, especially since he's my main training partner. Still, seems like a solid choice
Kirby/Diddy/Link- There are a lot of each of these players at the weekly tournament I go to. I'll consider them but would rather not play them unless they were the last choice
Mario- Don't really care for playing him
Samus- seems like a fine choice, just not certain and I don't know if I could prevent myself from spamming projectiles

Sorry if I seem really picky, but that's the reason I've had so much trouble deciding honestly. If you think I should pick a character on the list regardless of the caveat I mentioned, or if you think I should pick someone not on the list at all, then I'd be glad to hear your opinion.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Luigi needs no secondary. I'm dead serious.

Projectiles giving you problems? Remember you can stop all momentum in a WD via Dash->Shield, Run->Shield=Shield Slide, WD->Shield=Shield Slide, and out of you shield you can WD (you can Dash->JC Grab to extend grab range), Up-Smash (only do it when you know they'll be in air), and Up-B (Go for the Swag).

I'm personally sick of hearing people say Luigi can't handle all matchups. I believe he can, but the Luigi community just needs to work hard to show that he can. Remember, all it takes is one good player to change the "tier lists". Not saying some matchups aren't really hard, just saying those matchups make or break an amazing Luigi.

That said, from my personal experience, I've seen that Luigi's overall feel of floatiness transitions well to Toonlink, in terms of Aerial Combos, so I had no problems trying him out. And Tink does happen to have awesome projectiles, so that may be of interest.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Luigi needs no secondary. I'm dead serious.

Projectiles giving you problems? Remember you can stop all momentum in a WD via Dash->Shield, Run->Shield=Shield Slide, WD->Shield=Shield Slide, and out of you shield you can WD (you can Dash->JC Grab to extend grab range), Up-Smash (only do it when you know they'll be in air), and Up-B (Go for the Swag).

I'm personally sick of hearing people say Luigi can't handle all matchups. I believe he can, but the Luigi community just needs to work hard to show that he can. Remember, all it takes is one good player to change the "tier lists". Not saying some matchups aren't really hard, just saying those matchups make or break an amazing Luigi.

That said, from my personal experience, I've seen that Luigi's overall feel of floatiness transitions well to Toonlink, in terms of Aerial Combos, so I had no problems trying him out. And Tink does happen to have awesome projectiles, so that may be of interest.
As a matter of fact I agree that Luigi doesn't need a secondary. I think I will pretty much always use Luigi in tournament. More than anything I feel like having another person to use in friendlies, where if I am not in the mood to play a matchup Luigi is bad in I can pick them instead. Some swell advice there though, thanks! I'll try out Tink and see if I like him, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom