• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Okay..... I'm not really a villager Player and barely ever touch them, and I don't plan to do it anytime soon. My cousin however, being new to the game, likes the character a lot more than I do and she chose to main them. She still working on a few kinks with her physical execution for now and practices him almost exclusively for now, but once she gets all the basics down she'll more than want to seek a backup character to cover any tough matchups and to keep the game interesting. In the meantime, its just villager for her right now, but I think it's cool to plan ahead for anyone else you wanna pick up once you master the basics.

As far as I can tell, she seems to enjoy these characters in no particular order: :4diddy::rosalina::4yoshi::4mario::4tlink::4link::4darkpit::4samus: and to a small extent: :4duckhunt: and :4pikachu:

I don't usually like making threads to ask questions (especially on a character who I don't practice at all), but since I have low knowledge of Villager and most of these particular characters I felt like doing it for once: Would most any of these make decent secondaries for your character?

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
My secondaries are (in order) Ness, Rob, and Meta Knight. I wanted to play Duck Hunt but the lack of "easy" kill move on me discouraged me.

IMO the three characters that looks the most like Villager are Rob, Ness, and Duck Hunt. (spacing & wall of pain master)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Everyone has a pocket Diddy so even if she only wants to learn she should play with him. My biggest recomendation would be to learn Pikachu, he'll take a long time to master but if you have seen ESAM you'll know its worth it.
My secondaries are Swordfighter and Wario

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Everyone has a pocket Diddy so even if she only wants to learn she should play with him. My biggest recomendation would be to learn Pikachu, he'll take a long time to master but if you have seen ESAM you'll know its worth it.
My secondaries are Swordfighter and Wario
I don't use Diddy XP I use the alternative Pocket Sheik.

I also use Marth, because he covers a lot of Villager's bad matchups such as sonic, due to the disjointed hitboxes of his sword, and he can get people out of a defensive shell with shieldbreaker.

I also like Puff and mac, but Sheik is definitely good to deal with the rushdown characters Villager strugles with.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Villager is diverse, so lots of characters work with her.
You don't want the second to have trouble with Sonic or Yoshi namely.
My 2nd keeps jumping, Jiggs to Luigi to Mario to Diddy to PAC to Yoshi.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I personally haven't checked out Rosalina nor know her MUs.
Just work on Sonic Yoshi and (some villagers) have trouble with Shulk cause range and fair bair breaker.

cree318

Smash Cadet
NNID
cree318
3DS FC
0301-9783-2199
I don't have a perminant secondary yet but I've been toying around with Lucina/Marth and Doc lately. I feel like that Lucina and Marth both have an easier time dealing with faster characters like Sonic and Pika than Villager does. While Doc suffers from his terrible recovery he can net some quick Kos do to his high knockback moves, which is good against characters like Sheik and Lucario.

I may try out Ness or Rosaluma too. But as for now, those are who I'm seconding.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
My secondaries are Ness and Mr.G&W. They cover my personal problematic characters. Generally Ness covers the best but Villager does well against most already in my opinion.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
My secondaries are Ness and Mr.G&W. They cover my personal problematic characters. Generally Ness covers the best but Villager does well against most already in my opinion.
Can you elaborate on G&W? I was tempted to second or third him but I don't see the value in it.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
Can you elaborate on G&W? I was tempted to second or third him but I don't see the value in it.
G&W may just be me, but I feel he covers up characters Villagers has a problem with like Sheik, Zelda, Palutena, Pit, Dark Pit, Mario. He can even do pretty well against Fox and Falco. His USmash has Super armor which catches so many people off guard, and if you constantly move people won't know what you are going to do because his moves are so erratic and actually quite powerful. He has some nice stage control with his up air which also confuses people which if you learn to carry people like that (and watching for air dodges) you can set up into an USmash which kills pretty nicely. He can gimp quite a few characters with the bacon flip (Chef, Bacon Flip just sounds cooler, because who doesn't love bacon? :p), but he is pretty light so be very careful and stick with your mind games. And you really don't need to use Judge all that often, I almost never use it.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
G&W may just be me, but I feel he covers up characters Villagers has a problem with like Sheik, Zelda, Palutena, Pit, Dark Pit, Mario. He can even do pretty well against Fox and Falco. His USmash has Super armor which catches so many people off guard, and if you constantly move people won't know what you are going to do because his moves are so erratic and actually quite powerful. He has some nice stage control with his up air which also confuses people which if you learn to carry people like that (and watching for air dodges) you can set up into an USmash which kills pretty nicely. He can gimp quite a few characters with the bacon flip (Chef, Bacon Flip just sounds cooler, because who doesn't love bacon? :p), but he is pretty light so be very careful and stick with your mind games. And you really don't need to use Judge all that often, I almost never use it.
I'll give him a try! Have any first tips or any reference guides?

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I play g&w as second as well. I find it to be a fairly easy transition between him and villager.

My tips to play as g&w:

- Learn his downthrow followups, they are really important to his ground game. Utilt at low %(I don't know the exact percent range) then side b when that stops working, oil panic at mid percents, and up b after that.

- oil panic is reserved for guaranteed situations. Once charged it never goes away until you use it, even if you lose a stock. Mostly I use it in down throw followups and covering ledge options.

- His moves are great at attacking air to ground or ground to air. Upb and usmash work great on aerial opponents in particular.

- his gimping game is really good, chase them offstage as often as possible.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
I always try to keep moving. Not many people can read his moves. Most of his moves are very fast and safe so throw them out a bit to confuse them. Judge should only be a last resort (even at times where I am losing I still don't use it), bacon flip is nice for edge guarding but learn the spacing of it. Like JohnnyB said, master the dthrow to uptilt, nair, and depending on DI and at a little higher % bair or fair. practice dash turnaround bair. Uair and UpB have wind boxes as well as dtilt. dtilt can also be used to edge guard but has a little more ending lag and can blow projectiles like pikmin and banana away. dtilt can also carry freefalling characters in the air if they are above it while doing 2 percent damage each time without breaking the freefall, it's a very nice juggle. :p

captain clutch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Clutch_Captain
3DS FC
4167-5308-5514
I strongly considered picking up G&W, after seeing he had a lot of potential. All of his moves seem good. However, I've picked up Pikachu. But once I feel strong with him, I'll probably work on either Puff, Ness, or G&W.

Top Bottom