• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for Link Mains

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I thought the Marth Mu vs Fox was was in marths favor? Dr PeePee sure made it seem so. But then again, that may just be cuz Dr peePee is insanely good.

ive been thinking of going either Sheik or marth for my secondary. I like Marth a lot, and main him in Brawl and Smash 4 (never in Melee for some reason. Roy was more my style, I guess)

But I have been liking Sheik a lot more too.

Who does better vs Falcon?
Technically Sheik is better against Falcon right now with previous MU advantage since the release of the game. Her projectile becomes an annoyance for Falcon (even across all games), her moves string together much easier in comparison to Falcon (especially Dthrow), and her recovery is infinitely better than his (to prove a point, if Falcon has to Up B back to grab the ledge, Sheik can just pull out the chain and rack up damage and Falcon can't do anything other than DI slowly). Sheik's edgeguards are also easier on Falcon than Marth's since there is a possibility of missing with Marth.

Now with Marth, the MU basically is even mainly based around the strengths of both. Marth works in the MU with spacing and keeping people out at medium range, this is no different. Marth combos fast fallers very well, and Falcon is one of them. The main difference is that Falcon is heavy, so Marth will try to kill horizontally or downwards (depending on the version of the game). Now Falcon is the fastest character in Melee, so this allows him to break through zoning and disjointed hitboxes. This means that Falcon can rush in in between aerials (they'll bait them out to be on the safe side) and punish Marth with an extensive combo that usually leads to either a kill or an edgeguarding position.

So, basically Sheik is easier to use in the Falcon MU.

Last edited:

Dott

Smash Ace
I thought the Marth Mu vs Fox was was in marths favor? Dr PeePee sure made it seem so. But then again, that may just be cuz Dr peePee is insanely good.

ive been thinking of going either Sheik or marth for my secondary. I like Marth a lot, and main him in Brawl and Smash 4 (never in Melee for some reason. Roy was more my style, I guess)

Just use Fox and shine everyone until they're dead.

Alright now serious, like RetroGamersGuru said, the matchups between Marth and Sheik against Falcon are very special things, meanwhile Marth can juggle him with aerials, Sheik can put a projectal barrier that most of the falcons find difficult to break. Personally i think Sheik does better, because it's easier to combo Falcon and cover his recovery options. But I find the Falcon/Marth more fun to play either using any of both.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I actually just finished playing a bit of PM Sheik. From watching M2k's matches, I don't think there has been a big transition difference. If that's the case, I think I'd end up siding BOTH of them XD

They're both fun, but Sheik's chaingrabs on Pika are absolutely hilarious. (tho Marth can chaingrab spacies...can Sheik do that? O.o)
Side note
Link's Up B is the death of people who go to sweetspot the ledge and miss.

Dott

Smash Ace
I actually just finished playing a bit of PM Sheik. From watching M2k's matches, I don't think there has been a big transition difference. If that's the case, I think I'd end up siding BOTH of them XD

They're both fun, but Sheik's chaingrabs on Pika are absolutely hilarious. (tho Marth can chaingrab spacies...can Sheik do that? O.o)
Side note
Link's Up B is the death of people who go to sweetspot the ledge and miss.
The problem is that Link can't cover any other option if the enemy does know how to sweetspot, if he starts the upb has to wait too much.

Sheik can chaingrab almost all heavy characters, it's just matter of reading the opponent and jab resets.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The problem is that Link can't cover any other option if the enemy does know how to sweetspot, if he starts the upb has to wait too much.

Sheik can chaingrab almost all heavy characters, it's just matter of reading the opponent and jab resets.
Pika isnt even heavy tho O-o

Also thats why you gots to hold a bomb, or, as my friend does it, plant a bomb on the edge, and up B, letting it explode in your face XP since that also covers the getup attack option.

Dott

Smash Ace

Also thats why you gots to hold a bomb, or, as my friend does it, plant a bomb on the edge, and up B, letting it explode in your face XP since that also covers the getup attack option.
That sounds more like PM than melee, if that's the case then PM Link is really good covering options compared to Melee's Link.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru

He's saying that Sheik's chaingrab on spacies and heavy characters works differently from floaties but is possible.

Also, that might be an option, but it doesn't cover all options. Besides, theoretically Link can cover all lower recovery options with the sliding Up B to grab the ledge when timed, perfected, and used in the case of when you need a kill/gimp option and realize that the opponent will go for the sweetspot

That sounds more like PM than melee, if that's the case then PM Link is really good covering options compared to Melee's Link.
That is true though.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Melee Link can't do that? O.o
He's saying that Sheik's chaingrab on spacies and heavy characters works differently from floaties but is possible.

Also, that might be an option, but it doesn't cover all options. Besides, theoretically Link can cover all lower recovery options with the sliding Up B to grab the ledge when timed, perfected, and used in the case of when you need a kill/gimp option and realize that the opponent will go for the sweetspot
Sliding up B?

Wuz this? o3o

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
When I say that I mean basically a grounded Up B off the edge to turn around grab on the ledge. Sorry, I named the mechanic incorrectly.
Oh right. That. I was able to do it twice off the stage, thrice off a platform. Seems easier off a platform o.o

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well... Off a platform usually doesn't risk death ya know
I meant easier, not less risky xD Tho it is haha.

No real risk if death tho, at worst, you will either jump up and up B, or up B at the very end of the stage XD

Risk of punish tho :S

I also like that due to thether recovery, Link can't be edgehogged.

Last edited:

Dott

Smash Ace
I meant easier, not less risky xD Tho it is haha.

No real risk if death tho, at worst, you will either jump up and up B, or up B at the very end of the stage XD

Risk of punish tho :S

I also like that due to thether recovery, Link can't be edgehogged.
Most of the stuff that PM's Link is able to do is stuff that Melee's Link can not. Even if they have the same moves they seem to be two completely different characters.

About the Sliding upb (I actually like that name) it's not as open to punish as other options, because it's almost instant and it gives you all the invicibility frames to cover a sweetspot attemp. Of course, if you fail at doing it means that you're going to die most of the times. So high risk = high reward.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Most of the stuff that PM's Link is able to do is stuff that Melee's Link can not. Even if they have the same moves they seem to be two completely different characters.

About the Sliding upb (I actually like that name) it's not as open to punish as other options, because it's almost instant and it gives you all the invicibility frames to cover a sweetspot attemp. Of course, if you fail at doing it means that you're going to die most of the times. So high risk = high reward.
Huh...I thought I saw a thing here about bomb planting o.o''

Guess I'm gonna have to get my hands on melee to try it (Right now, no melee, so I gotta rely on PM to at least have some form of practice for Melee >.<'')

Also with the sliding up B, how do you possible die? O-o Whenever I mess up, I either just do an up B on the edge, or do an up B in the air, causing me to go up. Still punisheable, but its not insta-death xD

Corona

Smash Apprentice

Sheik is the better of the two against Falcon. Both are good choices, though.

Dott

Smash Ace
Huh...I thought I saw a thing here about bomb planting o.o''

Guess I'm gonna have to get my hands on melee to try it (Right now, no melee, so I gotta rely on PM to at least have some form of practice for Melee >.<'')

Also with the sliding up B, how do you possible die? O-o Whenever I mess up, I either just do an up B on the edge, or do an up B in the air, causing me to go up. Still punisheable, but its not insta-death xD
I wouldn't recommend to practice PM before Melee, PM it's easier to play, so the transition it's really hard. Small things like flash when L cancel can be a problem when playing Melee. Me and my friends usually see a far better performance when going from Melee->PM, instead of PM->Melee which usually then give us problems when playing. But it's your decision.

Well that's true... it's just that i remembered dying after i falied haha! But if you are playing against a good player he will probable find a way to punish it correctly.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I wouldn't recommend to practice PM before Melee, PM it's easier to play, so the transition it's really hard. Small things like flash when L cancel can be a problem when playing Melee. Me and my friends usually see a far better performance when going from Melee->PM, instead of PM->Melee which usually then give us problems when playing. But it's your decision.

Well that's true... it's just that i remembered dying after i falied haha! But if you are playing against a good player he will probable find a way to punish it correctly.
I know Pm is easier x.x But I got no choice. Its practice of some sort, at least haha.

Tho from the few times I was able to touch Melee recently, wavedashing and wavelanding, as well as l-cancelling, dont seem that hard o.o''

Last edited:

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru

The Up B is punishable when used incorrectly, simply put.

I definitely agree with the statement on PM. Link basically is better in PM improving on some of his flaws in Melee anyway, so you would be better off going Melee -> PM since it can feel like removing some weight off of you.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The Up B is punishable when used incorrectly, simply put.

I definitely agree with the statement on PM. Link basically is better in PM improving on some of his flaws in Melee anyway, so you would be better off going Melee -> PM since it can feel like removing some weight off of you.
I used to play Link in Melee when I had it :3

PM Link definitely feels better xD Tho I guess the difference would be more notieceable now, since Id play them within the same timespans.

Top Bottom