• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Second Hard Drive issues.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I successfully installed a second hard drive. It was 500 GB, so when I loaded the first time to format the drive, I partitioned it a few ways. I restarted, but when I restarted, the computer locks up on the BIOS screen because it's loading from the second HDD. I tried pressing delete to access the set-up screen (As I can do without the HDD), and no luck.

I unplugged the new HDD, loaded the computer, and got to the BIOS screen. On the CMOS page, it says my current Hard Drive is on IDE Master Channel 6, with no room for a slave for 6. On top of that, my Hard Drive is a SATA, it's plugged into a SATA port, and the new one is also a SATA.

I really have no idea what to do. When the hard drive isn't plugged in, I can start the computer like normal, but obviously, that is not a solution.

Thoughts?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
What exactly happens when you have your new hard drive plugged in? Does some part of the bios run and then hang? Or does absolutely nothing come up at all? Any beeping?

Also, have you tried plugging in the new hard drive and not the old one?

Possible explanations:
1) Power supply does not have enough wattage to support the new hard drive.
2) BIOS is trying to boot from the new drive, at which point it hangs.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Power supply was my first guess, but it is a 500W supply.

What it does (I am uploading a video soon to make this easier on us all), but it loads to the ABIT screen (the Mobo is a Abit KN8 SLi) and hangs there. If I press delete - the button to load the bios set-up, it makes a low sound like Windows does when locked up and you press any keys.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's a 500gb Internal Western Digital (Model #:WD5000KSTRL).

The rest you lost me on.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So, I took it to the tech staff at work. The guy repartitioned it. Now, with the power connected, I can at least boot the computer; however, the hard drive is not recognized now.

Top Bottom