• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Screenshots

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know how to transfer screenshots taken in Project M to the computer? Like, if I take a screenshot of the result screen and save it on the SD card, how would I go about opening it on the computer?

I have taken a screenshot before and tried opening the file, but it won't seem to open. I'd appreciate if anyone is willing to share an updated and simple guide to opening screenshot files on the computer.

If it helps, I use the Hackless Wii Zip 3.02 Full Set. This is because tournaments usually run with the full set.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
How are you taking these screenshots? I'd assume you meant the in-game snapshot feature, but you mentioned taking a screenshot of the results screen, which that doesn't do.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
How are you taking these screenshots? I'd assume you meant the in-game snapshot feature, but you mentioned taking a screenshot of the results screen, which that doesn't do.
I think taking a snapshot in-game and the result screen is the same because they both use the same button. It shows me whether I want to save it to the SD card or in the Wii. Either way, it'd be nice to know how to convert the image to be viewable on the computer.

I'm not sure, but I think it's the "B" button that takes the snapshot. It'll save in my RP folder as a BIN file in the SD card, but I can't open it.

Last edited:

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
http://www.mediafire.com/download/glz2jdgz2l5/bin2jpg.zip

This tool will convert the BIN files Brawl/PM outputs into JPGs.
I didn't think you could take screenshots of the results screen - aren't those just replays (which can't be converted for use on a computer)?
Thank you! I'll try out the link you gave me for in-game snapshots.

For the result screen, I'm not sure if it was a replay file saved or a snapshot. I just know something happened and asked me to save to the SD card or the Wii when I pressed "B". I just assumed it was a snapshot since it took it the same way the in-game snapshot feature did. I'm an amateur when it comes to snapshots and replay files.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
If it's what comes up when you press Z on the results screen, then it's a replay. Those can't be converted, since they're actually just sets of instructions (button presses) for the game to render, and don't contain necessary data such as character models (replays don't work with the full version of PM anyway, they just desync when you go to play them back).

Last edited:

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
If it's what comes up when you press Z on the results screen, then it's a replay. Those can't be converted, since they're actually just sets of instructions (button presses) for the game to render, and don't contain necessary data such as character models (replays don't work with the full version of PM anyway, they just desync when you go to play them back).
Maybe it was "Z" I pressed during the result screen. I can't remember which button it was since I rarely take snapshots. If so, I guess it can't helped.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
It's a ZIP archive, you should be able to open it using the ordinary file manager
Eh, I'm still not sure how to open it. I used Windows Explorer and WinRAR to open, but it just shows the command screen for a split second and disappears.

It shows:

- out2jpg.exe (clicked and didn't open)
- out2jpg.c
- bindecrypt.exe (clicked and didn't open)
- bin2jpgall.bat

Sorry, I'm not an expert when it comes to these things. I'm not sure how to use what you gave me.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Open in File Explorer
Extract to a folder
Go to that folder, hold Shift and right-click, click "Open command window here"
Run application via command line
Code:
bindecrypt <BIN filename>

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice