• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scott Pilgrim VS. The World

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Anyone else like this film? It's one of my favorites, and I'd love to discuss it with people who like it as well. :happysheep:
EDIT: ohmygodsomeonewhodidareallycoolmodpostedonmythreadermahgerd

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hmmm, honestly I preferred the books to the film personally. Although I'll admit the film had a far better payoff than Book 6 did regarding Gideon. Although I'd probably say the video game had a far better payoff than either.

The graphics, and feel of the film matched the video game/comic book look they were going for though, it's just a shame a lot of people didn't get it. I also appreciated that Edgar Wright did a decent job of condensing all six books into a singular film...but sadly in doing so they missed out on a lot of Kim Pine, who was by far one of the most likable and fleshed out characters in the graphic novels.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Hmmm, honestly I preferred the books to the film personally. Although I'll admit the film had a far better payoff than Book 6 did regarding Gideon. Although I'd probably say the video game had a far better payoff than either.

The graphics, and feel of the film matched the video game/comic book look they were going for though, it's just a shame a lot of people didn't get it. I also appreciated that Edgar Wright did a decent job of condensing all six books into a singular film...but sadly in doing so they missed out on a lot of Kim Pine, who was by far one of the most likable and fleshed out characters in the graphic novels.
Then again, if they used everything from the movie, it'd be too long! It'd be like, 2 hours.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Then again, if they used everything from the movie, it'd be too long! It'd be like, 2 hours.
Oh I agree completely, he did a fantastic job fitting the most important bits in. Honestly some bits worked BETTER in the film than the books; Lucas Lee's fight for example, whilst comical in the graphic novel, was far better handled in the film.

I found it a little odd they mixed Roxy Ritcher up so much though; rather than an awesome sword fight, we got how Ramona defeated Envy Adams in the 3rd book instead. It was an adequate replacement/shout out but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Another thing I quite liked was how they tied the twins into the battle of the bands storyline. Again; nothing like the 5th book, but I felt it worked really well.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
I recently read the books for the first time, and I haven't seen the movie. I liked it a lot! The writing felt like it had a lot of "energy," if that makes sense.
I understand. I only have the first two books, but they feel "fluid." The game is also amazing. I like the soundtrack, which was made by Anamanaguchi (did I type that right?)

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Extremely good comic series! They did a great job condensing the book into a movie my only complaint as a fan of the books is that there wasn't enough LISA MILLER!!!
A mention is merely not enough!! haha

But yes one of my most favourite novels and movies, they did a great job with the ending as well seeing as at that point the volume for the battle with Gideon hadn't released.
Plus it spawned one of my favourite sayings:

"Listen kung-pow-chicken"

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Extremely good comic series! They did a great job condensing the book into a movie my only complaint as a fan of the books is that there wasn't enough LISA MILLER!!!
A mention is merely not enough!! haha

But yes one of my most favourite novels and movies, they did a great job with the ending as well seeing as at that point the volume for the battle with Gideon hadn't released.
Plus it spawned one of my favourite sayings:

"Listen kung-pow-chicken"
If it makes you feel any better, Lisa was in a animated short made by Adult Swim, who wanted to have Scott's babies.

Centribo

Smash Rookie
Loved the books/graphic novels, loved the movie. I thought they conveyed the energy, spirit, and visuals of the books really well in the movie. Also, living in Toronto makes all of it 3 times better.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
One of my favourite films, but I prefer the Graphic Novels. Lisa Miller was one of my favourite characters and I wish she made into the film like she was intended to. I also love the game, I've played that loads. Everything made to do with Scott Pilgrim oozes quality.

Ramona and Scott's relationship in the film doesn't really have anything to it though, and since it takes place over a much shorter time than the book, my patience would've run dry if I had to fight all those people over a couple of weeks for a girl I had no chemistry with haha. I shipped Scott and Lisa anyway.

Deadshot

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-6935-7547
The fact that it takes place in Toronto and me being from the Toronto area makes the comic so much cooler for me. Especially them referencing sneaky dee's which I see shows at on a monthly basis.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Lisa Miller was one of my favourite characters and I wish she made into the film like she was intended to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitByGeWGxU
If you read the caption, you'll notice they foreshadowed it.

What I didn't like about the movie was the fact that Scott waved everyone goodbye, and left with Ramona.
Then in the DVD there is an alternate ending that I really don't want to spoil, but I'll just say I liked it more than the normal ending.

Last edited:
NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Ramona and Scott's relationship in the film doesn't really have anything to it though, and since it takes place over a much shorter time than the book, my patience would've run dry if I had to fight all those people over a couple of weeks for a girl I had no chemistry with haha. I shipped Scott and Lisa anyway.
Yeah, one of the things that I don't like about the movie is that Ramona seems to only have three emotions: meh, angry, and pissed off. Hence why I prefer the book.

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
Movies always condense the story and end up making characters somewhat silhouettes of themselves. Game of thrones the show does this to a lot of its charchters. I want to play the game but don't have a PS3 or Xbox360.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Movies always condense the story and end up making characters somewhat silhouettes of themselves. Game of thrones the show does this to a lot of its charchters. I want to play the game but don't have a PS3 or Xbox360.
I'm a little late, but tough luck anyhow. The game's been pulled from XBLA and PSN due to licenses expiring.

Slattman92

Smash Rookie
I feel your pain, though apparently Wallace is the crappiest DLC this side of horse armor.
Knives Chau was the best DLC character ever put into a game though. She kind of broke the game (in a good way)

Twewy

Smash Lord
Knives Chau was the best DLC character ever put into a game though. She kind of broke the game (in a good way)
Mr. Foster would like to talk to you. It takes a lot of effort to go from a measly character in a 4-pack DLC to mascot of your game.

Killing Floor, btw.

Top Bottom