• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus, Rage, and You

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So, I don't know how familiar you guys are with rage, but I recently learned that rage scales *base* knockback much more than *growth* knockback.

This means some pretty important stuff for Samus and especially custom Samus. I haven't done much testing yet, but I did find out that melee charge shot is MUCH more potent with rage than CS.

For reference, vs. mario on fd at the edge of the stage, CS killed at 67%, MCS killed mario at 66% with Samus at 0%.

At 150% (full rage), CS killed at 55%, MCS killed at 49%!

Holy damn. Ok so MCS is still bad but that's nice.

So what are some of Samus' moves that have big base (50 or more) knockback:

Dtilt: Frame 6- 8: 12% 80b/48g (KO@ 230%) - This is regularly considered to not be a kill move anymore. Well, sorta. If it is fresh and you are at full rage, this kills around 110 on lighter characters and about 150 on heavier characters.

Dash attack: 10% 80b/60g (KO@ 220%) - This move is almost always a little bit stale. But if you can get it fresh, it kills about the same time as Dtilt.

Usmash: 6% 50b/135g (KO@ 171%) - This move is almost definitely fresh with heavy rage, I've killed mewtwo at just over 100%

D-smash front: 10% 70b/46g (KO@ 245%)
back: 12% 70b/48g (KO@ 188%) - I'm about as pessimistic as it gets about dsmash, but the back hit with full rage is actually pretty dangerous, killing around 140% near midstage, and netting kills close to the edge if someone rolls behind you at around 100%. The front hit is still pretty useless.

Screw Attack 1% 50b/240g (KO@ 281%) - You might have wondered why the kill percent on this move has varied so widely for you. "Hmm he was at 150% how come it didn't kill?" You probably had almost no rage. If you are around 100% this move kills around 130%. With heavy rage, it can kill even earlier. With no rage though, they can survive well into the 160s. (grounded screw attack, the nominal value is if you hit them from stage height).

Apex Screw attack: 9% 90b/100g (KO@ 131%) - Oh my lord. So I kinda liked this custom move because it kills earlier than screw attack but it is slow on startup so it gets rid of your best OoS option. This is still true. But if you have full rage, this kills mario at about 50%. 50%. Think about it. The peak hit still has the same timing as the regular screw attack final hits.

Screw rush: 5%(+3) 80b/110g (KO@ 167%) - Another big winner in the rage game. This move kills damn early with full rage. Additionally, I believe this is the most disjointed of the three attacks. I think samus gets her morph ball hitbox in this move. If you pause the game, you'll see she is in morph ball (not true for regular screw attack). This also threatens a new area OoS but is slower at frame 11. You can probably go meet your attacker if it is someone coming in for a nair or fair. I need to test this one more in real fights. I think this might be one of Samus' better customs now.

Melee Charge Shot: 18%(+3) 65b/35g (KO@ 110%) - Generally thought of as total trash and samus' most laughable custom, this move kills very early with full rage and cannot be reflected. If you get a first stock lead on Rosa or Fox, they will have to be very careful around you. From the edge you can kill Rosa at about 30%. Dthrow -> MCS can be extremely deadly with full rage. I need to lab this more.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Whoa...
Would've never realized just how much rage helps us without this.
This is great to know, what we really need to find out is some kind of hit confirm into U-smash at rage %s, cause for sure that move will always be fresh for us and could see the most use from knowing this info.
Good to see there's still much more things to learn for us Samus mains.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
That's fantastic. My friends consider Relentless missiles her only viable custom...time to surprise them after a little training ^_^

Top Bottom