• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus' Nair/Bair/Backwards Short Hop Allow Extra High Short Hop Platform Access

redongor

Smash Rookie
Certain platforms cannot be reached by Samus with a short hop, but can be reached with a SH Nair or Bair, resulting in faster platform landing (if l-cancelled properly) than a full hop.

It seems that her Bair gives a little boost as well, so assume that most things that I write will work with Bair as well, some even to a greater extent (more options for where to jump from, like further away from the platform or further underneath the platform if the ground below or the platform itself is curved like on Rumble Falls). For Bair to work however, not only is the timing seemingly much stricter, but you must be facing a certain direction in certain circumstances. I think that with Bair, her bent knee must be inside the platform for you to land on it, though I am not completely certain. I tested everything with Nair. This works on the following maps, in the specified areas (if you know of any others, post!) I have only tested the stages that are default in the random stage select. Also, these are tested using common sense momentum. Some are from a standstill, others are from a run, etc. etc. You should be able to figure it out.

Also, her backwards empty short hop where she curls up will gain access to some platforms that cannot be accessed with a forward empty short hop.
  • Battlefield: All platforms. For the upper platform, you can short hop from the lower two platforms.
  • Metal Cavern: The platform can be SH accessed from a good deal of the highest elevated ground position on the far right of the stage. SHNair accessed by short hopping from the point where this part of the stage begins to decline.
  • Rumble Falls: Similar to Metal Cavern in that the bottom platform can be accessed with just SH from part of the bridge and most of the surface of the connected rocks. As for the top two platforms, I do not believe that the left one can be accessed with SH at all. The right one can just barely be accessed with empty SH from right around the middle of the lower platform, and you can access even further down the platform with SH Nair.
  • Hyrule Castle: All three of the tower platforms can be accessed, in succession from one another, using SH Nair.
  • Norfair: The lower two platforms can always be accessed using SH Nair.
  • Yoshi's Island: Difficult to test thoroughly as the platform continues to rotate. It can certainly be accessed further up the rotations with SH Nair than without, though the difference is most likely useless. From what I can tell, it is not really practical.
  • PS2: Platforms can be accessed with SH Nair but not with empty SH.
  • Distant Planet: Both platforms can be accessed with SH Nair.
  • Skyworld: Interestingly enough, Samus cannot reach the low platform on the right with an empty forward SH, though it seems like she should be able to. She can reach it with a backwards SH or a SH Nair. The upper platform can be reached from the left platform with an empty SH, and from the right platform with a backwards SH or with SH Nair/Bair.
  • Green Hill Zone: It's possible with SH Nair, but it just depends on where the platform is. You'll just have to figure out the height and timing for yourself :p
  • Yoshi's Story: From the very edge of the map on both sides, the lower platforms are reachable.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Interesting. Do these aerials autocancel when you do this, or do you have to l-cancel them?

Top Bottom