• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Matchup

Frenzy231199

Smash Cadet
So for a while I thought I was pretty good at the Samus matchup, then I played K-12 and Daydee (2 of Europe's best Samus players) at BEAST 6 and got wrecked. It's not so much the punish game, but the neutral that I'm having trouble with. Every approach I did seemed to get punished by WD back -> D-Smash/Grab , Up-B OOS or CC D-Smash / D-Tilt. I know my options against these, but it feels like i'd be better off not approaching at all. However, I don't really want to play campy, that isn't really my style.

So my question is has anybody got ways of pressuring/approaching Samus that are safe generally and how can I punish her options such as F-Tilt and Missles in neutral. It's a shame I couldn't get my matches recorded as that would've been helpful in seeing what they were doing in neutral :/ . Also any general VS Samus tips would be helpful.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
So for a while I thought I was pretty good at the Samus matchup, then I played K-12 and Daydee (2 of Europe's best Samus players) at BEAST 6 and got wrecked. It's not so much the punish game, but the neutral that I'm having trouble with. Every approach I did seemed to get punished by WD back -> D-Smash/Grab , Up-B OOS or CC D-Smash / D-Tilt. I know my options against these, but it feels like i'd be better off not approaching at all. However, I don't really want to play campy, that isn't really my style.

So my question is has anybody got ways of pressuring/approaching Samus that are safe generally and how can I punish her options such as F-Tilt and Missles in neutral. It's a shame I couldn't get my matches recorded as that would've been helpful in seeing what they were doing in neutral :/ . Also any general VS Samus tips would be helpful.

Ur matches vs samus are going to last 4min plus in many instances if u and ur opponent are actually evenly skilled. Dreamland it is not uncommon for it to approach 7min. I dont know what u consider agressive, but there is no way around this matchup taking a long time if u want to win it consistently.

If samus is missle camping u, u can really just use ur reflector to send them back at her. On PS/ Dreamland there is just too much room for samus to cover to really punish u for it. FD and Battlefield its a little more a judgement call, but either way u cant let her shoot missles at will. U cant pressure her shield directly, and u will get almost nothing out of grab, so once u get her in shield u have to bait out a wd back or up-b. Dair techchase her or take a simple shine aerial combo before resetting to neutral and repeating.

This isnt the matchup to play aggressive in, but it doesnt mean u have to "camp". If samus is to punish u for anything she has to either get a read on ur approach or punish something dumb on shield. U can apply pressure by being in her face and make it seem like u will attack. This will bait out ftilts and dsmash attempts. It sounds like the samus u played had a read on ur approach, u should have just stopped approaching, but made it look like u would to bait her reaction. The matchup really feels like a cat and mouse game if both of u play it right.

PPMD bar none is the best at this if u want to see what it looks like. He had some sets vs duck at a canadian tournament i reccomend looking at (EGLX i think?). As the sets went on, PP was able to be more aggresive like u want to be, but it takes time to play like that. U really have to feel the samus out.

Edit: It was actually Canada Cup that they played at (CCG2k15)

Last edited:

Frenzy231199

Smash Cadet
Ur matches vs samus are going to last 4min plus in many instances if u and ur opponent are actually evenly skilled. Dreamland it is not uncommon for it to approach 7min. I dont know what u consider agressive, but there is no way around this matchup taking a long time if u want to win it consistently.

If samus is missle camping u, u can really just use ur reflector to send them back at her. On PS/ Dreamland there is just too much room for samus to cover to really punish u for it. FD and Battlefield its a little more a judgement call, but either way u cant let her shoot missles at will. U cant pressure her shield directly, and u will get almost nothing out of grab, so once u get her in shield u have to bait out a wd back or up-b. Dair techchase her or take a simple shine aerial combo before resetting to neutral and repeating.

This isnt the matchup to play aggressive in, but it doesnt mean u have to "camp". If samus is to punish u for anything she has to either get a read on ur approach or punish something dumb on shield. U can apply pressure by being in her face and make it seem like u will attack. This will bait out ftilts and dsmash attempts. It sounds like the samus u played had a read on ur approach, u should have just stopped approaching, but made it look like u would to bait her reaction. The matchup really feels like a cat and mouse game if both of u play it right.

PPMD bar none is the best at this if u want to see what it looks like. He had some sets vs duck at a canadian tournament i reccomend looking at (EGLX i think?). As the sets went on, PP was able to be more aggresive like u want to be, but it takes time to play like that. U really have to feel the samus out.

Edit: It was actually Canada Cup that they played at (CCG2k15)
Thanks for the quick response :) . I did try reflecting the missiles but it was often punished by them jumping over and D-Air'ing me. I think you are right about them having a read on my approaches, I have been told before that I am quite predictable in some situations. It could've just been that they were just better players than me and not because I'm not good at the matchup, i don't know.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the quick response :) . I did try reflecting the missiles but it was often punished by them jumping over and D-Air'ing me. I think you are right about them having a read on my approaches, I have been told before that I am quite predictable in some situations. It could've just been that they were just better players than me and not because I'm not good at the matchup, i don't know.
Yeah samus can punish u for reflecting, but it has to be a hard read. If u can retreat to a top platform, the samus has to completely exposed herself by going for the reflector read. U can also nair/bair through her missles, its just more risky to do so.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Just for the record, PPMD fought Duck in Grands at the Canada Cup 2015. You should be able to find it pretty easily. And he did it mostly without lasers lol. C-SAF C-SAF Frenzy231199 Frenzy231199
I had that in the edit of my first post, but yeah PP put on a clinic. He fought hugs at evo too but I think his performance against duck was way more clean.

Abaddun

Smash Cadet
In this MU, you must keep constant pressure like any other MU. Dair and spaced bairs are your best friend in this MU. if you anticipate the samus to Up-B OoS then you can either CC it or wait for the Up-B and then punish with accordingly. Use the shine. Powershield them missiles. D-Smash her nonsweetspotted Up-B recovery. Shine-Bair grapple recoveries. etc etc

Last edited:

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
laser and see how they react, if they go to platform, block, powershield, or wavedash OOS torwards you, if they go to platform then more stage control for you, if they just block then they are just loosing shield and let me tell you dtilt kills and feels good to kill with <3

Top Bottom