• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saffron City Wall Grab Glitch

Sangoku

Smash Master
Is that a glitch? It's just a matter of hitbox touching hurtbox.

And I think that grabs can go through walls. It often happens when people are on the left (resp. middle) platform of Hyrule and get grabbed by someone on the middle (resp. left) one.

aaronmhite

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended by Nintendo (HAL Lab, Sora, whatever), which is why I dubbed it a glitch. You can also hit players through the top of the tent (from side to side) on Hyrule with aerials, which also probably wasn't intended ('cause projectiles do not go through).

:phone:

UberMario

Smash Master
Yeah, that's definitely a glitch because DK was being dragged through the building. I wonder if it works on an actual cartridge . . . .

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Is it really a glitch? Hitboxes seem to go through solid structures if they're large enough.

Can't you hit people through thinner parts of the green house with DK B-Air and Link F-Air, etc?

DMoogle

A$
Is it really a glitch? Hitboxes seem to go through solid structures if they're large enough.

Can't you hit people through thinner parts of the green house with DK B-Air and Link F-Air, etc?
Yes, and those are glitches too. They weren't intended to be.

Obviously they're both non-destructive and minor, but still.

The Star King

Smash Hero

Yeah, but I don't think that's supposed to happen with a grab.

Yes, and those are glitches too. They weren't intended to be.

Obviously they're both non-destructive and minor, but still.
I don't think those are glitches. The hitboxes are just large enough to pass through the wall, that's all. This isn't supposed to happen with grabs, though, because you're not supposed to be able to pass through solid walls like DK did in the video lol

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hitboxes going through walls were definitely intended to be. The proof is Break The Target. Take falcon for example and the two targets in the left: they were supposed to be broken through the wall.

I don't think it's much different with grabs.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It still seems strange/unnatural to me. I know hitboxes can go through walls and all, but I didn't think that CHARACTERS could go through walls, even if they were grabbed.

However, I tried this with Link's grab, and tested stuff like Yoshi's neutral B through the upper-right pipe on Mushroom Kingdom, and it all worked.

So I guess I find it strange because of MELEE influence or something, since in Melee the grab would be broken.

QuaziFrodo

Smash Rookie
It isn't just on saffron, you can also do it through tubes on Mushroom Kingdom.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
if this is a glitch than you would have to consider aerials connecting through the hyrule tower a glitch, which, it isn't

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
There's a good amount of attacks that go through the tent, try DK's charged B for the easiest and more obvious one.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Basics are similar though.
But my bad anyway, I read hitbox instead of hurtbox at first time.

Sangoku

Smash Master
That's what I was trying to say before this internet bug happened...

I don't know if DK is still a hurtbox during the grab animation (that is when he's getting closer to samus). Can he be hit during that time? Is it possible to check that with hitbox mode or is it one character at a time?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Someone TAS it and try Fox Ftilt or something. And see if the character that's grabbed ends up inside the stage.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Hitboxes going through walls were definitely intended to be. The proof is Break The Target. Take falcon for example and the two targets in the left: they were supposed to be broken through the wall.

I don't think it's much different with grabs.
But Falcon doesn't go through the wall. Remember, when you grab someone "into" a wall it's interrupted and they bounce off; here DK is sliding right through it without touching it.

Problem isn't grab hitbox going through the wall, the problem is DK doesn't immediately bounce off the wall but goes through instead.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Does the grabbed character lose his hurtbox (and therefore his bounce-off-walls attribute) while the grab is being retracted? That would make a bit more sense...

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
But Falcon doesn't go through the wall. Remember, when you grab someone "into" a wall it's interrupted and they bounce off
Could you clarify what you mean with an example here please?

I was always under the impression that if the grab hit, it went into an animation that outprioritises any other animation, including this "glitch" of a hurtbox going through a wall.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
im pretty sure they just go into another dimension whey they are grabbed; by the summoning of a warphole.
then they are rewarped back in front of wherever that grabbers animation is for a brief while before they are warped again (as they are thrown forward or back or up) for a short time before they are released back into the smash dimension
Duh

Sangoku

Smash Master
What asianaussie and ciaza said. I initially thought the glitchy part (you claimed it was) was the grab going through the wall. That definitely isn't a glitch.

Now concerning DK going through the wall as mentioned he could be no hurtbox during the animation.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Could you clarify what you mean with an example here please?

I was always under the impression that if the grab hit, it went into an animation that outprioritises any other animation, including this "glitch" of a hurtbox going through a wall.
Well, now I'm not sure. Picture Falcon grabbing someone from the slightly lower part on Hyrule's left and them going "into" the wall. Does the grab complete as normal, then the enemy ricochets? I always thought the animation completes but the enemy starts bouncing early.

Anyway, Samus's grab might well remove the hurtbox, since I don't think you can hit anyone she's reeling in.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
In that situation, the bounce would occur as per normal, the game would just detect a hurtbox inside the stage and evict it as soon as it could.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
what would happen if the grab got iterrupted while dk was in the box?

edit, nothing special happends, dk comes to the otherside of the box and richochets off.

Top Bottom