• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Safe on shield

ISuckAtThisGame

Smash Rookie
This is pretty self explanatory. I'm pretty new, and I want to know what I can do that's safe on shield. I'm like pretty sure Sami nairs are but that's all I know of.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Moves that you can hit opponent's shield with and not get punished. Moves with high shieldstun, low ending/landing lag, and long distanced moves are usually safe on shield, although opponents could negate completely by powershielding.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Jab > dash away
Spaced Forward Tilt (f-tilt)
Spaced Down Tilt (d-tilt)
Out of Shield (OoS) Back Air (bair)
Out of Shield Neutral Air (nair)
Z-Air (zair) because of the spaced range it has

With nair, if you jump and use your neutral aerial immediately while backing away from your opponent, you should be safe. If you can manage to pull out a back aerial immediately after you short hop, that can also be a safe option. I'd say it's good for killing as well, but I don't main Samus, I only use her as a secondary, but this has worked out for me.

Last edited:

wmd93

Smash Rookie
Depending on how scared they are (how often/long they shield), I'm a fan of spaced back air into a turnaround jab or ftilt into wait/bomb/jab/wavedash behind them into dsmash/dash back pivot ftilt/grab/nair if they're prone to jumping.

Any of those options also work without the bair, but it's always satisfying to get a spaced bair on that shield. Particularly fond of jab shield/dashback pivot fsmash if they're prone to shield grabbing. Works remarkably well v most characters. Just sitting there outside grab range can also give you a decent shot of reacting out of their options, and bomb has a lot of mixup utility. If you instant land it, you can usually reactively follow a roll into a dash attack or crouched down move, if you go up with the bomb, you can float down into a nair or dair and choose how long you sit above them (although that's dependent on their mu knowledge. They can just roll out of the bomb if you're above them and they're decently versed in the microsituation)

Yeah word vomit aside you've got tons of mixups. Just be sure not to space so close you can be grabbed or attacked OOS, worst case scenario if you play it right they escape and you go back to neutral.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If you fast fall and do Samus' down-air as low to the ground as possible on the opponent's shield, you're +2. Most of Samus' other aerials are between +0 and -5, meaning you can at least jab or up-b before they can shield grab.

Top Bottom