• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Safe Landing Options?

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
As y'all most likely already know, Bowser is a rather big target in the air. I'm having issues being combo'd while in the air and trying to land safely without having to suffer with landing lag. Now air dodging is the obvious solution, but most characters can still follow up an attack once the air dodge finishes due to Bowser being so big and neutral air sometimes works but it's still easy to hit him in the center. Down air as y'all know goes down super fast, causes a lot of knock back, and actually has priority over some attacks but it also suffers from being VERY easy to see coming and the landing lag which can be exploited by an opponent who perfect shields or just plays around it. So my question is what's the best way to deal with being juggled around in the air and how to land safely.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Save your double jump. It's better than air dodging right after a throw + follow-up. If you need to escape pressure, do not be afraid to escape to the ledge. There are some characters coughsheikcough where landing safely isn't an option. You need to know when to fold 'em, my friendos.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Drift away from the stage and recover low with fortress. Or do nothing.

Honestly people expect you to do something so doing nothing probably let's you land safely.

You can also Dash slash stuff because that's always fun.

Remember with every version of side b after using hit we have no land lag. IMPORTANT!

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
A lot can be said about fast falling a buffering a landing option. Fast fall buffered fortress, standing grab, roll, address all good options. Dair can also be good when used sparingly. My new favorite is an incredibly low bowser bomb. They are either in shield or suffering end lag from a dash grab when you hit them so it's win win. Is also super hype and a way to break shields of even high level players.

Skynerd

Smash Rookie
Personally, something that I've just recently discovered at a weekly was that Bowsers Dair, and Bowser bomb cannot break through a Ness Up b. I tried multiple times to break through to get to the little bugger but failed. Something else I noticed was that Link's Uair has more priority than Bowsers Dair and Bowser Bomb. Personally for me, landing lag hasn't been my biggest issue. However, the biggest thing i've found I can do to reduce landing lag and still be offensive is Bair and Fair.
Depending on where the opponent is of course, Fair and Bair both have the option of very reduced landing time to the point where you can hop out of it right away after performing it. I practiced his Nair as well for this and it has very specific requirements in order to have no landing lag. It's not impossible to do, it's just hard to do. I find also, the Nair has some good cover against people as it spreads out his body so somebody close can get caught up in the multiple hits and then depending on how YOU landed, you can combo into Bair or Fair.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
If you aren't running with dash slash, going to the ledge is the safest, either from below or with a Bowser bomb. Just be aware of which characters can beat Bowser bomb (Rosalina's uair, Yoshi's eggs etc). If you're not going to the ledge, and don't have dash slash, I'd recommend nothing if the enemy gives you room, or isn't playing too aggressive. If they are aggressive and you know they won't let you land safely, in general the best move to throw out is bair. Any falling aerial will have landing lag, but unless they perfect shield it, bair will push your opponent far enough to avoid punishment. And if they don't shield it... all the better.

Nair is waaay situational as a falling option, you have to land right on top of your opponent to hit with it and there's no shield pushback. Dair is great if you can use the upwards startup to fake out an aggressive opponent. Mileage may vary depending how good your opponent is at reacting to it. Don't overuse it though.

But really, just go to the ledge. That's just part of playing Bowser (without dash slash), holding that ledge and making friends with it.

Last edited:

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Pretty much what everyone else has said. Bowser cannot make it back to the stage offensively, other than Bowser Bomb to ledge. Almost never try fighting your way down. You're Bowser, your aerial mobility is rather solid, you can take your time and aim for ledge.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
If you are trying to land with Bowser, your opponent has two basic options: defend and punish, or throw out an attack.

They can defend in one of two ways: either by shielding next to or underneath you, or by moving slightly out of range of your landing options. Either way they follow up by punishing your landing lag. If your opponent favors this option, then the klaw is probably your best bet (I'm assuming standard klaw, since the community seems to be moving in a customs off environment). You can scoop up shielded opponents, and since it cancels landing lag, you can throw out a jab, uptilt, shield, or whatever to block an opponent rushing in to capitalize.

If they attack, then your response depends more on their arsenal, but Bowser's aerials are powerful and can beat out a lot of attacks. The main exception is swords, of course. Most sword moves have enough end lag that you can dodge them or fake them out with a dair to make them think twice next time.

Another landing option that takes some practice (I haven't messed around with it enough to get consistent myself) is the very very handy fact that you can cancel Bowser's air dodge landing lag with a special move if you time it right. That means you can go straight from air dodge into grounded fortress, for example. As others have said, grabbing the ledge is also a good way to avoid some of the risks involved with landing as Bowser, especially if you can Bowser bomb to it.

Top Bottom