• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Safe" falling with grenades

SirPsychoMantis

Smash Apprentice
After playing brawl for the first time for many hours yesterday I found a new use for grenades. Its not ground breaking but it seems like it can be useful.

I was falling back to the stage and pulled out a grenade, Ike hit me with his upsmash which hit me and triggered the grenade and I did not die even though I was at 200%. I did this 3 times in a row so I don't think it was a one time thing.

So it seems like the grenade knockback takes priority over any attack knockback because Ike's upsmash definitely should have killed me at 200%. Of course the downside is you get damaged and also still go flying, but you survive.

If anyone wants to test this who actually owns brawl we can see if it works for all attacks.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
This is pretty cool but it makes me laugh because it defies logic in any sense.

"OMG I'M GONNA DIE FROM A ******* SWORD! GERNADE SAVE ME!"

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
It's actually a perfectly reasonable strategy when you're at incredibly high damage. It allows you to deal more damage before you die, there's a few problems though, it doesn't always work, and you take more damage than them because you get hit by their attack and the grenade.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
Great insight guys. Definitely something to add to the repertoire of tricks.

Kamaji

Smash Ace
It works, I use it all the time. I just won the EWU tourney the other day using snake and I used that several times as a recovery.

Azzizaz

Smash Apprentice
It's actually a perfectly reasonable strategy when you're at incredibly high damage. It allows you to deal more damage before you die, there's a few problems though, it doesn't always work, and you take more damage than them because you get hit by their attack and the grenade.
Though like you said, this can save you from a situation where you'd die automatically to a situation to where you can possible cause more damage.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
I'm about to submit this technique and some others for inclusion in the advanced techniques compilation thread going on the General Brawl forum because it is seriously lacking in the Snake department. I think even though this technique is very situation, it still warrants labeling as an "advanced technique" because what we are dealing with here is essentially a knockback cancel/override. Who knows, maybe some other use for it will be discovered at a later time.

Anywho, if the technique is to be added to an advanced techniques list, it needs a name. I propose Grenade Knockback Override (or Cancel) or something to that effect.

Discuss.

Deadly'_'

Smash Apprentice
THANK YOU!!! The first person on these fourms that ive seen that isnt selfish. Thanks for propsing a good name and not just a name after yourself. Its a good name too, tells you exactly what it does. The only problem is that its a mouthful to say it needs a nickname. Or we could just say GKO or GKC. I dunno someome else come up with something clever.
:chuckle:

To anyone who has tested this does snake always drop the grenade when hes hit or does he have to be at a certain precentage?

Deadly'_'

Smash Apprentice
He always drops it
That so sick! If you play snake correctly he wont even come close to dying till like +150%.

Im not saying hes gonna be top tier or anything but he has a good chance to be low on the high or like first on the mid tier.

Hes gonna be so fun to use when i get the game.:chuckle:

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
That so sick! If you play snake correctly he wont even come close to dying till like +150%.
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's fairly common. I've seen some mediums and a fair amount of heavies hit this damage area frequently.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
I like pulling out the granade and tossing it up. jumping up and grabing it again. now instead of the standard "preped to toss" stance snake will hold it like any other item...that will just so happen blow up in the next 2.5 seconds >.< try and roll or spot dodge just as it explodes :p

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
so its like links bomb in melee? does the grenade have a set knockback?

Top Bottom