• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's specials can also be done with simplified SF4 inputs

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to do the strict motions to get the powered-up versions. Some of the simplified inputs from Street Fighter IV seem to have carried over to Smash.

Shoryuken's strict motion is Forward, Down, Down-Forward, but you can also perform it by:

- tapping Down-Forward twice

- rolling the stick from Down-Forward to Down and then return to Down-Forward. This works from a Down-Forward crouch as well.

Shakunetsu Hadouken doesn't have to be a complete half circle motion. Back is optional: (B) DB D DF F.

Bonus: When a Final Smash is stocked, you can still perform normal Hadoukens with the motion command. (h/t Reflex)

EDIT: Ryu's specials also incorporate SF's "negative edge" input.

Either the press OR the release of the attack button can count as the special move input. So you can do things like hold down a button for a normal attack, input the special motion, and then release the button to do a normal > special chain with a single button press.

Ex: down tilt (hold) -> quarter circle forward -> release for Hadouken

Last edited:

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
Going to try this out when I get off work.

Also... Your name sounds familiar. Didn't I see you at Gwinnett Brawl?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Currently, "upgraded" Hurricane Kick and Shoryuuken can also be done by simply doing :GCR: + hold :GCB: and :GCU: + hold :GCB: respectively... Which makes the SF inputs kinda pointless so i think i is either unintentional or should be removed. Or maybe those are yet again different from the SF input versions... Like, just as far but still dealing less % or something. Somebody needs to test this.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Currently, "upgraded" Hurricane Kick and Shoryuuken can also be done by simply doing :GCR: + hold :GCB: and :GCU: + hold :GCB: respectively... Which makes the SF inputs kinda pointless so i think i is either unintentional or should be removed. Or maybe those are yet again different from the SF input versions... Like, just as far but still dealing less % or something. Somebody needs to test this.
I think he actually has a light punch/kick specials and heavy/punch kick specials. Holding the button increases distance traveled, but when I was in Training mod checking damage, I only saw the bonus damage when using the manual specials.

Thanks for the heads up on the short cut inputs. Only thing messing me up is some times when I go for shunshaku Hadu he does Tatsumaki. :/

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I think he actually has a light punch/kick specials and heavy/punch kick specials. Holding the button increases distance traveled, but when I was in Training mod checking damage, I only saw the bonus damage when using the manual specials.

Thanks for the heads up on the short cut inputs. Only thing messing me up is some times when I go for shunshaku Hadu he does Tatsumaki. :/
Yeah I get that alot too. As for the simplified ones, the normal (or hold down) Shoryuuken still hits like a truck if you hit correctly (Read : basically Mega Man uppercut), and for recovery the longer versions are better too. If they do more % when using SF inputs (and the invincibility frames on Shoryuuken are propably only on that one, too), then I'd say thats a pretty good middle-ground and helps players that want to play smash, not street fighter (sic!) in their smash ;)

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
More: Ryu's specials also incorporate SF's "negative edge" input.

Either the press OR the release of the attack button can count as the special move input. So you can do things like hold down a button for a normal attack, input the special motion, and then release the button to do a normal > special chain with a single button press.

Ex: down tilt (hold) -> quarter circle forward -> release for Hadouken

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Yeah I get that alot too. As for the simplified ones, the normal (or hold down) Shoryuuken still hits like a truck if you hit correctly (Read : basically Mega Man uppercut), and for recovery the longer versions are better too. If they do more % when using SF inputs (and the invincibility frames on Shoryuuken are propably only on that one, too), then I'd say thats a pretty good middle-ground and helps players that want to play smash, not street fighter (sic!) in their smash ;)
SF input shoryuken is -way- stronger than holding up b. it only does 3 more damage, but it kills like 20% earlier

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
SF input shoryuken is -way- stronger than holding up b. it only does 3 more damage, but it kills like 20% earlier
Then I'd say the pretty much made it perfect. Also good to know! Seems like keeping your shield up if you block a Focus Punch with it is a must, or you go bust... And if you predict wrong you'll get hit with the Shield breaking move...geezus. Better to try and grab them out of it or run away. Shielding that seem suicidal.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
As you know, if you input the right inputs for the specials it doesn't matter if you use B or A, the special comes out. Speed and dmg are determined by how long you press the button. Well, I found that you can also do the specials if you press the grab button. So, do a quarter of a circle plus grab button for a hadouken. The difference is that you will always get the weak/slow version, no matter for how long you press the button. This way you actually have 3 buttons in order to do the specials and they all will have a different result.

With this it's not necessary to time your input of Thea attack button anymore, just use a different button and you'll get a different version of each special, just as in SF.

Top Bottom