• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's normal specials (Except vB) are almost worthless

1FC0

Smash Lord
They are inferior versions of his SF specials so what is the point? You can even reverse his SF specials.

I found only 2 uses of his normal specials (again aside from vB) and that was when I was below the stage and needed to recover but I could not see which way I was facing so I use his normal ^B instead. The other use is that his normal specials might be a little bit faster since you need to give less input. Aside from that what is the purpose of his normal specials?

Also where is his SF vB?

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Yes using the input specials seems better but definitely less efficient and accessible unless well practiced. You also can't b reverse SF inputted tatsu (side b) so use regular input for reversing that

Edit: Found this in other thread
"True Hurricane Kick is bit trickier due to it being CQB rather then forward but it after doing the command hit the control stick forward quickly then back quickly (similar in how you would do a Wavebounce)"
Need to test and confirm

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
The Normal Up B (Shoryuken!) can be used out of shield whereas the input, true Shoryuken can't. Even though the input version of Shoryuken is stronger than the Up B version, the Up B version is still a very strong attack by itself.

Also, a lot of people don't know that Ryu's Hadoken can sort of be used for recovering since you can stall yourself and move slightly while throwing it in the air. No reason to use the input version of the Hadoken in that scenario.

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Yes using the input specials seems better but definitely less efficient and accessible unless well practiced. You also can't b reverse SF inputted tatsu (side b) so use regular input for reversing that
You can b reverse tatsu. Down, Down-back, Back, let go (or tilt forward) + A, Back
Or, you can: Down, Down-back, Back + A, let go (or tilt forward), Back

I suggest the first. I can't do it even slightly consistently but it's happened. I also haven't been able to play much since his launch.

The Normal Up B (Shoryuken!) can be used out of shield whereas the input, true Shoryuken can't. Even though the input version of Shoryuken is stronger than the Up B version, the Up B version is still a very strong attack by itself.

Also, a lot of people don't know that Ryu's Hadoken can sort of be used for recovering since you can stall yourself and move slightly while throwing it in the air. No reason to use the input version of the Hadoken in that scenario.
Input shoryuken can be used OoS. I'm certain you can jump cancel into it, and some ppl have found ways of doing it that I haven't yet tried. Also if you're using hadoken to stall in the air (although personally I like dash-cancelling Focus Punch), it's totally worth it to use the shorter input version of it. It takes maybe an extra 3 frames, which really shouldn't ever be the determining factor of whether you live or die. And if you use it to stall anywhere near an opponent its always better to send out a stronger attack, even if it is only 1-2%

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman

It definitely can. You can input the special using tilts rather than full presses while continuing to hold shield. This will stop a roll input or spotdodge occurring.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Yeah mang, I just play Ryu with the normal attack button and only hit the specials button for the Focus attack. I actually like it, it feels more intuitive to only be using his inputs for specials and everything on one button is sort of interesting.

Top Bottom