• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RYGAR: Master of the Murder Yo-Yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
First: Take this thread with a grain of salt. I know Rygar won't get in, I just would love to see him. His bladed yo-yo/shield weapon is just a super fun concept and I loved his NES game as a kid.

Rygar is the protagonist of the eponymous series in which you play a man wielding the Diskarmor, a magical shield covered in blades that is wielded like a yo-yo. While originally an arcade game where you simply murder things as efficiently as you can, it quickly spawned a Metroid-like game for the NES where you conquer side-scrolling stages and an isotropic overworld while collecting new items to access different areas.
Notably, Rygar was one of the first video games to have permanent power ups and was released about the same time as the first Metroid game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rygar

He's evolved over the ages. The PS2 received a new game similar to God of War as you play Rygar as he fights through hordes of mythological creatures garnered from Roman and Greek mythology.
However, the PS2 Rygar game predated God of War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rygar:_The_Legendary_Adventure

Eventually, the game received a remake for the Wii and a character re-design.
RYGAR, Wielder of the Diskarmor

Up Special​
SICKLE HOOK
A sickle on a chain that Rygar uses to reach otherwise inaccessible areas in the NES game.​
This isn't a normal tether recovery though. He starts off swinging it out from directly behind him and scythes it over his head in a full 360 degree swing. When the sickle hits anything, Rygar yanks the chain and sends himself flying over. If it was a moveable object/enemy that he hit, the object/enemy will get flung the direction that Rygar came from.​
Side Special​
WIND CROSSBOW
In the NES game, Rygar finds a crossbow and a "wind pulley" to help him launch ropes and zipline across chasms.​
Rygar levels his crossbow. Tapping the button simply shoots a bolt that's similar to Falco's blaster and he puts the crossbow away. If the button's still held when the bolt is shot, a glowing rope is attached to the bolt. If the button is even still held when the bolt hits something, Rygar starts ziplining towards the bolt (while the starting end of the rope is held in place by a magical floating orb).​

Neutral Special​
AROUND THE WORLD
Named after the classic yo-yo move, many of Rygar's attacks would be reminiscent of the speed and maneuvers associated with the toy.​
Rygar stands in place and starts spinning his Diskarmor in a circle around him, building up speed. When the button's released, the Disk is thrown in the direction indicated (or straight forward if the control stick is neutral). The longer the charge, the further the Disk goes and the more damage it deals.​
Down Special​
SHIELD SLED
This is a combination defense & offense move. Essentially, he takes out the shield with both hands in front of him to deflect attacks and then jumps onto his shield to use it as a sled. He starts off with a little momentum, but he goes much faster if performed on a slope.​
Tap: He just pulls out the shield to deflect attacks.​
Hold: He jumps on like a sled. When the button's released he jumps off the shield.​
Final Smash​
ATTACK & ASSAIL
Mystical energy flows out and connects all the opponents on the stage to Rygar's Diskarmor. For a short period, every attack Rygar makes counts as connecting with the enemies, regardless of where they are on the battlefield. Enemies can still try to dodge, shield, or turn into stone to avoid the attacks, but it'd be difficult for most characters. If I were playing as Rygar, I'd probably tap up-tilt as quickly as possible and finish off with an Up-Smash to knock people off the top of the stage. If an enemy dies and respawns, they are no longer linked to the Diskarmor's Attack & Assail.​
So, again, I don't think he has much of a chance of getting in, but using Rygar to engage in wholesale yo-yo slaughter could be the most fun thing ever.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom