• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rush down and Shield pressure help

GmJn

Smash Ace
I have played ike awhile and Ike think I am at least semi-decent my main problem is that I'm really aggressive which has made people in my group become really defensive players. My biggest problem is finding a good offensive option and pressuring shields to avoid a shield grab. Any advice?

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
don't be aggressive, be smart. space your attacks (especially your nairs), bait out other attacks. practice on your QD(a must) -> grab, wavedash, upsmash etc. Single or double jab to grab will help as well. Learn how to DACUS. if you see an opening, take it. And don't spam forward smash(unless you are SURE it will hit), or else they will catch on lol. Question, which characters do you face typically?

Last edited:

GmJn

Smash Ace
don't be aggressive, be smart. space your attacks, bait out other attacks. practice on your QD -> grab, wavedash, upsmash etc. Learn how to DACUS. if you see an opening, take it. And don't spam forward smash(unless you are SURE it will hit), or else they will catch on lol. Question, which characters do you face typically?
Well my frends have been switching around trying to see which characters work against Ike, RIght now I generally face wario, Peach, metaknight

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Wario is gonna be based on spacing game. Watch out for his side-b. foward smash will limit wario's option off-stage it's not funny xD. QD shenanigans is necessary (other characters as well. For peach, i suggest spacing forward air and back air when she is on the air or floating. turnips are pretty annoying at times, at a distance and when you side-b recover, so learn how to catch them and throw back to which you will recover neutral. It is ideal to have peach above you because she can't do anything at that state. I don't know much of the metaknight matchup unfortunately. But seik/zelda matchup i know. Against zelda, you have the upper hand as long as she doesn't use din's fire because it can hurt your approaches. A well spaced forward air is your best friend, so is forward tilt. you need to keep zelda in the medium range. Sheik, however, both of you are each other's combo food. Learn how to DI her throws and tech chase her. sheik is very...troublesome if she gets in your space.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Wario and peach do not have a good time against ike. Mk has a good time against ike, till he gets hit. If your friends really wanna give ike a hard time, they should play sheik/fox/falco.

Ike doesn't have shield pressure tho. He has hitboxs that can be safely thrown at shields tho.

GmJn

Smash Ace
My friends have been kind of switching around, mostly to counter ike. So I assume spaced fairs on shield should be safe?

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
All of Ike's tippered aerials except dair are effectively safe on shield, assuming you land soon after hitting. Bair is the safest in terms of frame data; it's actually +1 on shield if done perfectly. However, you can't just throw out aerials recklessly, because if the opponent spaces correctly they can dodge and punish all of Ike's aerials. Because of this, it's best to play Ike patiently while establishing favorable positioning.

GmJn

Smash Ace
All of Ike's tippered aerials except dair are effectively safe on shield, assuming you land soon after hitting. Bair is the safest in terms of frame data; it's actually +1 on shield if done perfectly. However, you can't just throw out aerials recklessly, because if the opponent spaces correctly they can dodge and punish all of Ike's aerials. Because of this, it's best to play Ike patiently while establishing favorable positioning.
Thanks

Top Bottom