• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Running Utilt

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
A little something I found the other day, nothing game breaking, but a half decent little trick to add to your yoshi arsenal.

RUNNING UTILT

To perform - run, then do a djc land (easiest way to do IMHO is to roll the control stick to up, then immediately hit x/y). You should see yoshi kinda tilt at an angle then stand without leaving the ground. This not only instantly turns your run into a stand, you are also already holding up for an easy utilt. There is a slight delay from the run to the tilt, so it may be a useful mindgame vs. shield throwers, otherwise it can be used in combos.

A note on spacing - You have to be pretty close when you do the djc, because utilt doesn't have the greatest range.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Would this work for any DJC character?? and instead of going into U-tilt you should be able to go into alot of other moves as well ?? Do you just choose U-tilt because your finger is already placed on the control stick.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Would this work for any DJC character?? and instead of going into U-tilt you should be able to go into alot of other moves as well ?? Do you just choose U-tilt because your finger is already placed on the control stick.
This will only work with Yoshi and Peach, as they are the only two who can DJL. This is because their second jumps dip a little at the beginning, so by 2nd jumping immediately after leaving the ground they can force themselves to land back on the ground.

Yes, you can go into any move after doing this, as you go back into your standing position.

Of course, you could just dash cancel with any character instead.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
This will only work with Yoshi and Peach, as they are the only two who can DJL. This is because their second jumps dip a little at the beginning, so by 2nd jumping immediately after leaving the ground they can force themselves to land back on the ground.

Yes, you can go into any move after doing this, as you go back into your standing position.

Of course, you could just dash cancel with any character instead.

Thanks for that Peach was the only character I actually cared about when asking whether all DJCers could do it.

would dash canceling be faster than DJC into your move?? and I'm guessing I'm wrong but I thought you could only use dash canceling to do a U-smash but I guess that's just one of the more popular moves?

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
would dash canceling be faster than DJC into your move?? and I'm guessing I'm wrong but I thought you could only use dash canceling to do a U-smash but I guess that's just one of the more popular moves?
Dash cancelling is faster and easier for all moves except utilt, where I think this method is a better option.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Thanks for that Peach was the only character I actually cared about when asking whether all DJCers could do it.

Dash canceling is done by hitting down to crouch out of a run. This stops your run almost instantaneously and you can do any move by then uncrouching (just letting go of down) and inputting the move. Or you can continue to hold down and Cstick a smash or hit A to dtilt.

You're thinking of Jump Canceling, which is used most of the time for upsmashing out of a run. It is also used for most characters trying to grab out of a run. However in both cases dash canceling can be used instead, but I would guess JCing is faster frame-wise. I don't know for certain though.

Dash cancelling is faster and easier for all moves except utilt, where I think this method is a better option.
Dash canceling is probably faster for everything, but I would admit this method is probably easier for running utilts.

Top Bottom