• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Running F-smash

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
Okay, so the title is a bit misleading; it's not running F-smash, it's actually foxtrotting F-smash, but it's pretty much the same thing.

For those of you who don't know what foxtrotting is, it's repeatedly using a character's beginning of dash animation to run. Basically, smash forward on the control stick; the character will leap into the air usually, and when he's about to land, smash forward again, and repeat. It's just a tad slower than actually running, but much more flexible. You can do the same things you can out of regular running, such as U-smashing. However, you can also turn around without slowing down, pivot grab, etc.

I just discovered something else you can do out of foxtrotting; an F-smash. In the beginning of the dash animation, you can press F-smash in either direction and the character will immediately perform the move without any pause or sliding. I believe the window for doing the F-smash is approximately the same (maybe identical) to the window for turning around in the dash. It's not a very large window, so you might want to practice in slow mo.

This can be very useful to Olimar because of his very long range, no wind-up F-smash. It can also be used for spacing purposes (e.g., fox-trot backwards to avoid an attack and F-smash them).

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
"Foxtrot," huh? I'll have to try it. I wasn't even aware Oli could do it... You recommed practicing to do it in Slo-mo, first? If you've never done it before, I mean. On a side note, what's a "pivot grab"? Just a sudden backwards grab?

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
Yeah, just get used to the timing, once Oli reaches the ground he should leap up again immediately. Once you know what it's supposed to look like it's easy to get it consistent in real time.

Pivot grabbing is when you cancel the beginning dash animation by turning around and immediately pressing grab. You can also turn around, turn back around and press grab, to grab forwards without much delay.

keeper

Smash Champion
It's actually quite easy to do at any speed. It is easily applicable with Olimar, though some some of his uses aren't needed, it's still a great option.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
this is definately useful to my playing style, thx for this

Pink4Life

Smash Cadet
Actually i think what it is you're doing is just F-smashing during your Pivot. its something you do when you're dashing. Its something you could do in Melee. Its really nothing new, but still a bit of useful information.

Top Bottom