• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Viability

Giga-Bowser

Smash Rookie
I've been looking into picking up Roy as an aggressive character. He moves and feels natural to me, but I'm not convinced about his viability.

I noticed that he's good on smaller stages (Recovery is less important, Fsmash kills early), but I'm still hesitant on picking him up seriously because Marth has most of the same strengths. Is he like the Falco to Marth's Fox? Does he have any better matchups that we know of? What is his Niche? The Roy forum seems to be optimistic, but his weaknesses (Slower dash, bad weight, recovery, close tipper) leave me unsure that my time wouldn't be better spent playing Marth or Wolf.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Sethlon placed 5th in Project M at Apex 2014. I recently joined a small community down here where I live (College Station TX) and although I've never had official tournament experience, I came in bopping most of the guys there with my Roy. He's a little flawed than most characters, sure, but if you know how to properly apply pressure with him, then he can become a true force to reckon with. Aggro Roy's scare people and put them on the defensive.

Giga-Bowser

Smash Rookie
Good point about aggro Roy taking people out of their comfort zones, I wonder if that's the best way to play him. The thing is that Sethlon is obviously a really great player who probably could have gone far with any character if he put the time in - maybe even further with Marth? I do appreciate the anecdotes, Shokio, but I'm one of those guys who cares a lot about frames, match ups, and theories, all of which make Roy look kind of shaky to me right now. Maybe he just needs more time.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Good point about aggro Roy taking people out of their comfort zones, I wonder if that's the best way to play him. The thing is that Sethlon is obviously a really great player who probably could have gone far with any character if he put the time in - maybe even further with Marth? I do appreciate the anecdotes, Shokio, but I'm one of those guys who cares a lot about frames, match ups, and theories, all of which make Roy look kind of shaky to me right now. Maybe he just needs more time.
Yeah, trust me, aggro is definitely the way to play him. The way I see it, aggro is the only way to play Roy, you can't afford to be on the defensive. And that's not to say that you can't play him Hot-Cold, but you never want to catch yourself just standing there shielding or else you'll get grabbed, thrown into the air, and knocked off-stage, and we know what happens when Roy is off-stage

But yeah, with Roy, it's all about scaring people and putting them into a defensive play style, which you can then proceed to dismantle them with grabs and Dtilt -> Fair combos. Getting them on the defensive and having them shield a lot will guarantee you the match, unless it's a projectile heavy character like Link who can use his attacks for a defensive style of play.

I dunno about the whole Sethlon and Marth thing. In my (non-pro) opinion, I don't think Roy is too far from Marth at all. Maybe he would've gotten farther, but only because Marth's metagame has been years in the making while we're dealing with a whole new Roy here. The only advantages are that Marth can recover better due to his better fall speed (which, sure, is a huge advantage) and he has a spike that is much easier to hit. But Marth has trouble killing at high percents where Roy does not. Roy's early kill potential is amazing, as well as his kill options. All Marth has is FSmash really. We saw this with Gravy vs. KDJ, where all Gravy had to do is avoid an FSmash and he was able to beat Marth. If that was Roy, he would've been dead a long time ago:

FSmash, Flare Blade, Bair, DSmash, FSmash, Counter, Dair, and even FTilt are all kill options. That's 8 kill options, with only 2 being situational really. To answer your initial question of whether or not he has better match-ups then Marth, I'd say yes, and that's to any of the light-weight, floaty characters. Kirby, Squirtle, Jigglypuff, G&W, and the like, get eaten ALIVE by Roy. He can kill them so quickly it's not even funny. (There's this G&W main at my scene who I can take all 4 stocks from without him ever reaching 80%.) ESPECIALLY when you take them to small stages, such as Yoshi's Story or Wario Ware. One DTrhow to FSmash can kill kirby, Jiggs, and I think G&W at 0% near the edge of the stage. DSmash and Dair especially are effective against these lighter floaty characters. Need to kill Jiggs or Peach? Crouch-cancel into DSmash, they're dead. Best way to kill floaties off the top of the stage.

And then there's of course his reverse Blazer that can kill Jiggly and Kirby at any percentage off the top as well. Go to Yoshi's, hop on any platform. 0%, reverse Blazer, they're dead, instantly, no questions asked. You might say that's situational, which it is, but I've actually managed to combo light-weights in the air into a reverse Blazer, so it's something you can actually lead into as well.

Even for the likes of Fox, Falcon, and Falco, I'd say Roy is the better match-up. Take Falco to Battlefield, go to the left of right platform, have him at like 33%-40%: UTilt -> FSmash, he's dead. Roy's pretty great against fast fallers as well since they fly more horizontally and Roy's FSmash has so much knockback to it. If you land a FSmash on them while they're in the air and around mid-percentage, they're goners. And when you need to edge guard Fox's better recovery, just counter just like in Melee of course. Roy's counter has a mean multiplier on it, if someone gets hit by that on the edge of a stage they're pretty much dead. (If you counter any of Ganon's moves, he's a freakin goner lol.)

But if you're the frames and theory kind of guy then yeah I can see where you're coming from. Roy doesn't have much going for him frame-wise.

I know I just talked him up a lot but of course we all know his weaknesses: His weight is weird. He's a fast-faller which allows him to get juggled easier, but at the same time he's kinda light, giving him no resistance to horizontal knockback. He has some survivability from getting star KO'd but that's about it. Then of course he can't recover due to how ridiculously fast he falls and lack of range from his Blazer. But see, that's why I say aggro Roy is the only way to go. If you're staying on top of them, they won't get the chance to juggle you or knock you off-stage while in the air. They're 2 big factors, yes, but they're only 2 so you don't have much you need to manage, you see what I mean? If you stay on top of them, Roy is definitely vaible.

Last edited:

SwonK

Smash Rookie
I think Shokio has pretty much got it covered.
Is Roy viable? Most definitely.
Is Roy for everyone? Definitely not.
As Shokio already said, you must play very aggro in order to capitalize with your great combo setups and kill potential.
A lot of people say that Roy is easier to space with than Marth, but I disagree. In fact, I think Roy is even harder to space correctly than Marth since a lot of his kill moves (FSmash, Dair, Bair) means you have to be right on top of your opponent, literally.

To succeed as Roy there are two things that you must absolutely learn how to do:
1) Maintain stage and space control
2) Control the pace of the match
Roy has some really great tools to do both. His Nair is great for controlling space, initiating combos due to its relatively long reach, and its a pretty fast attack as well. I'm sure most Roy players will agree that his onstage presence is absolutely terrifying. He's fast, his moves are powerful and quick, his tools to continue combos are incredible and his grab game is amazing, leading into either another grab, a Fsmash, or tech chased Fair/Nair. On the other hand, his recovery and offstage options are comparable to a fish out of water. Most characters just don't have to ability to quickly convert Roy's combos into their favor. Their best options to beat Roy is just to stop his combos before it even starts by crouch canceling. CC completely dumps on Dtilt which is unfortunate but there are ways around it.

Sure. the frame data doesn't show a clear advantage in his moves, but they also aren't painfully terrible awful. Theory, frames, and tech can only take you so far in the game, and that goes for any character. In my experience, people know Roy's moves are scary, and you need to use this to your advantage. Play mind games, do janky things, confuse them, and they become putty in your hands.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Forgot to mention his grab game. Roy has the 5th longest grab in the game I believe. Grabbing OoS with Roy sets up for some amazing tech chase opportunities as well as tech reads into FSmash. By "easier to space" though SwonK, I have to agree with them. Roy's sweet spots are much easier to land than Marth's. And that's not to say that Marth's are hard, Roy's are just much easier. You'll rarely hit a sour spot FSmash. You'll sweet spot all of Roy's moves 80-90% of the time, other than his Dair.

But yeah, like Swonk said, you just have to be in control with Roy, which really isn't that hard to do with him at all. He's dominating while on the stage, especially when the momentum is in his favor.

Roy's Strengths

1. His approach game. Nair is a beautiful multi-hit tool. Great speed, duration, and range on it. You can either space it with the tip of it so that you cant get grabbed on punish, or, you can Nair through them for a cross up. You can also crouch-cancel your sprint and approach with Dtilt as well, that is also a safe option when you space it correctly. The only people who can grab you OoS after a spaced Dtilt are Marth, DDD, DK, Bowser, and I think Snake. FSmash out of Wavedash is also usually safe on block, as it pushes people away quite a distance.
  2. His kill options. Like I said before, dude has 8 kill moves, and they're varied to. Whether you're on the ground, in the air, or off-stage, Roy has a viable move than kill with relative ease.
  3. His knockback power. Again, Roy can kill people extremely early on. Unlike a lot of the cast, you don't have to get people to 90%+ to kill them.
  4. He's great against both light floaties and fast-fallers. He can kill lightweights anywhere between 40-70% easily.
  5. He's somewhat hard to kill off the top.
  6. Flare Blade is a great edge-guarding option. It's strong uncharged and has more range than it looks like it has, and since it's chargeable, it's great for predictable recoveries like Fox's, DK's, and Falcon's. Just unleash it when they're nearing the ledge.
  7. His sweet spot Dair has a lot of hitstun on it and pops them straight up, which can lead into a FSmash or Bair. Dair -> FSmash will get you sooo many kills.
  8. His DDB is much more versatile than Marth's. The 3rd swing on the Up-thrust still has a spike effect, the 3rd and 4th downward thrusts send people at a downward angle, which means it's great for fast fallers, and he has a backwards turn-around finisher just in-case someone's behind you.
  9. He has great OoS options. You can Nair OoS to knock them off you of you, Dair to pop them up and follow with an FSmash or air combo, Up-B OoS, and of course grab with great distance.
  10. His tech chase game is amazing.
  11. He has a great crouch cancel. CC -> Dtilt is better than ever.
Roy's Weaknesses
  1. He can get juggled easily since he's a fast-faller.
  2. Has a really rough time recovering, of course.
  3. He's a little on the light side.
^That's pretty much it. His strengths definitely outweighs his weaknesses I'd say. Like I said before those are pretty significant factors but they can be managed and dealt with. Roy's best defense, is his offense. Stay on top of them, scare them, and they won't get a chance to juggle you. Don't get caught doing your double jump in the air while approaching and recovering won't be too bad for you.

He's completely viable in my eyes and yes, we just need to give his metagame more time to develop.

SwonK

Smash Rookie
I think what I meant by Roy being harder to space is that you have to take a lot into account as Roy when spacing. Since his sweet spots are closer the inside of the blade/hilt, you have to take into account where your opponent is in reference to the hilt/middle of your blade as opposed to the tipper of Marth. I guess it's kind of hard to compare since the characters are pretty different. I would argue that Roy's sweetspot FSmash is a high risk high reward move, whereas Marth's tipper is much safer but still gives a pretty large payout. I will agree that it's not hard to land the sweetspot on Roy's Fsmash, but when you go in for it you have to make sure that it hits or else you will be very vulnerable while Roy resets from his whiffed Fsmash, and since you are probably very close to your opponent you can get punished severely and easily.

My personal favorite way to almost guarantee a sweetspot Fsmash is Dair->FSmash. oh god its so sexy.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I think what I meant by Roy being harder to space is that you have to take a lot into account as Roy when spacing. Since his sweet spots are closer the inside of the blade/hilt, you have to take into account where your opponent is in reference to the hilt/middle of your blade as opposed to the tipper of Marth. I guess it's kind of hard to compare since the characters are pretty different. I would argue that Roy's sweetspot FSmash is a high risk high reward move, whereas Marth's tipper is much safer but still gives a pretty large payout. I will agree that it's not hard to land the sweetspot on Roy's Fsmash, but when you go in for it you have to make sure that it hits or else you will be very vulnerable while Roy resets from his whiffed Fsmash, and since you are probably very close to your opponent you can get punished severely and easily.

My personal favorite way to almost guarantee a sweetspot Fsmash is Dair->FSmash. oh god its so sexy.
Ah, I see. When you put like that then yeah you're totally right. Agreed.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Really solid points on disadvantages/advantages. Adding onto kill moves dont count out DED side special combos. that xx> his is a beast of a kill move with that knockback, xx^ can spike off the edge if you know how to use it, plus xx^> does really well for a straight combo move that knocks back far on the last hit.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
His uair is pretty ridiculous, too. Catch someone at low percent without their jump and you can easily juggle into F-smash. Also, like in melee, hitting with the sour spot of the uair can set up for a re-grab on spacies and other fast-fallers almost definitely, especially with Roy's incredible grab range.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
To answer your initial question of whether or not he has better match-ups then Marth, I'd say yes, and that's to any of the light-weight, floaty characters. Kirby, Squirtle, Jigglypuff, G&W, and the like, get eaten ALIVE by Roy. He can kill them so quickly it's not even funny. (There's this G&W main at my scene who I can take all 4 stocks from without him ever reaching 80%.) ESPECIALLY when you take them to small stages, such as Yoshi's Story or Wario Ware. One DTrhow to FSmash can kill kirby, Jiggs, and I think G&W at 0% near the edge of the stage. DSmash and Dair especially are effective against these lighter floaty characters. Need to kill Jiggs or Peach? Crouch-cancel into DSmash, they're dead. Best way to kill floaties off the top of the stage.

And then there's of course his reverse Blazer that can kill Jiggly and Kirby at any percentage off the top as well. Go to Yoshi's, hop on any platform. 0%, reverse Blazer, they're dead, instantly, no questions asked. You might say that's situational, which it is, but I've actually managed to combo light-weights in the air into a reverse Blazer, so it's something you can actually lead into as well.

Even for the likes of Fox, Falcon, and Falco, I'd say Roy is the better match-up. Take Falco to Battlefield, go to the left of right platform, have him at like 33%-40%: UTilt -> FSmash, he's dead. Roy's pretty great against fast fallers as well since they fly more horizontally and Roy's FSmash has so much knockback to it. If you land a FSmash on them while they're in the air and around mid-percentage, they're goners. And when you need to edge guard Fox's better recovery, just counter just like in Melee of course. Roy's counter has a mean multiplier on it, if someone gets hit by that on the edge of a stage they're pretty much dead. (If you counter any of Ganon's moves, he's a freakin goner lol.)
May I also add that Roy's matchup against Sheik is far better. Roy's d-tilt wrecks crouch canceling.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Really solid points on disadvantages/advantages. Adding onto kill moves dont count out DED side special combos. that xx> his is a beast of a kill move with that knockback, xx^ can spike off the edge if you know how to use it, plus xx^> does really well for a straight combo move that knocks back far on the last hit.
Speaking of which, I sometimes try to chase off stage with the downward hit on the DED it's just amazing to get when it actually hits. Even IF it is like literally the most unsafe thing ever.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Yeah - to be honest, the only offstage idea I'll ever try is go after them for a moment, but if I have time (which I usually do) and try to Dair them, even though it doesn't always get the meteor - it almost always hits.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Yeah - to be honest, the only offstage idea I'll ever try is go after them for a moment, but if I have time (which I usually do) and try to Dair them, even though it doesn't always get the meteor - it almost always hits.
Yeah... I usually fair/bair and then first hit ded to get back up, but otherwise I haven't gotten to play much of Roy's offstage game since my little brother pretty much stays on the ground all day. Makes sense though, since he's Falco.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Best offstage options from my experience are fair, bair, and my go to choice is flare blade. So easy to hit with and if you connect its almost always a sure stock .

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I really do need to incorporate Flare Blade into my offstage game. Much better than accidentally dairing all day. But I think if you save the second jump you can do some interesting things offstage.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I really do need to incorporate Flare Blade into my offstage game. Much better than accidentally dairing all day. But I think if you save the second jump you can do some interesting things offstage.
  • I learned a long time ago to not even bother with Dair in any offstage case
  • Flare blade has a really short endlag, comes out relatively fast, has a big hitbox, and doesnt need to be charged to launch people when they're recovering. Also, Bair is the only move i've found to be viable while taking ledge since its endlag is also really low (just remember it'll turn you around so you have to reverse upB in most cases)
  • Also, while taking the ledge and they recover on stage most every case you can ledgehop>SH>Bair sweetspot into a kill

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't completely rule out D-Air for when the opponent is offstage. While it is true that they can meteor cancel it, I think it still has some uses.

Taking the most well known example at the moment, Sethlon vs M2K, M2K immediately meteor cancelled it. That is unfortunate but that was one (arguably the only) of the two options he had. Since we know that people have to meteor cancel D-Air or face a lost stock and also don't have much time to react to it since D-Air has more power and knockback than Melee, we can charge up another move to intercept them after they meteor cancel it. If Sethlon's side-smash afterwards started charging just slightly sooner, I believe M2K would've lost that stock then and there. I don't think he or anyone else thought M2K would get the meteor cancel off.

I think another use is with punishing low returning recoveries. I've had varying degrees of success with just hanging on the ledge when someone recovers low and using my invincibility frames to D-Air them. They either lose the stock, tech the wall of the stage, meteor cancel, or in the case of tethers, hop up since they can't grab the ledge and end up hitting the ground and being open for a side-smash if they miss the tech. With the tethers, I sometimes default to this when U-Air knocks them too far away.

You can also use a reverse SHFFL D-Air to punish someone who's recovery is pushing their hurt boxes past the ledge although admittedly, you could just use side-smash or Neutral-B in this situation.

Last edited:

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I wouldn't completely rule out D-Air for when the opponent is offstage. While it is true that they can meteor cancel it, I think it still has some uses.

Taking the most well known example at the moment, Sethlon vs M2K, M2K immediately meteor cancelled it. That is unfortunate but that was one (arguably the only) of the two options he had. Since we know that people have to meteor cancel D-Air or face a lost stock and also don't have much time to react to it since D-Air has more power and knockback than Melee, we can charge up another move to intercept them after they meteor cancel it. If Sethlon's side-smash afterwards started charging just slightly sooner, I believe M2K would've lost that stock then and there. I don't think he or anyone else thought M2K would get the meteor cancel off.

I think another use is with punishing low returning recoveries. I've had varying degrees of success with just hanging on the ledge when someone recovers low and using my invincibility frames to D-Air them. They either lose the stock, tech the wall of the stage, meteor cancel, or in the case of tethers, hop up since they can't grab the ledge and end up hitting the ground and being open for a side-smash if they miss the tech. With the tethers, I sometimes default to this when U-Air knocks them too far away.

You can also use a reverse SHFFL D-Air to punish someone who's recovery is pushing their hurt boxes past the ledge although admittedly, you could just use side-smash or Neutral-B in this situation.
Yeah, you're right with your points. Pretty sure sethlon even said that he missed the L-cancel, or else he wouldve killed M2K with the Fsmash. It definitely shouldn't be dismissed since it has its uses, although it can be risky. I initially mentioned ledgehop>Dair on the ledge but i guess i deleted that part on accident.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Flare Blade is one of his most versatile options off the ledge. It has great range (including above his head) and is very powerful. I've heard more than one person describe it as a smash attack in the air. As far as Dair goes, I think he has better options for edgeguarding. If I use dair off the stage it's usually because I combo'd into it. Best feeling in the world is a Roy Ken Combo after a juggle off the ledge. :)

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
May I also add that Roy's matchup against Sheik is far better. Roy's d-tilt wrecks crouch canceling.
Roys dtilt actually isnt effective versus CCing at all unfortunatly. i used to think that it might have enough base KB to be decent against it, but i tested it, and even lightweights like falco can CC it until 70%. the only tools roy has to deal with CCing are his grab and upsmash, which can actually be useful because of his good DACUS, its multi hit properties, good combo potential (on FFers almost any time, or any one else at low percents), and its extremely difficult to SDI.

honestly i think a more reliable follow up would have been bair. every single time i use dair offstage, especially from dtilts, the opponent DIs towards the stage and gets meteored onto the stage. i can kill with it sometimes, but its so unreliable IMO. the best use for it is onstage for combos, and i think that any niche it has in edge guarding is extremely small and situational, especially since he has other tools, like bair and flare blade, that can be used in almost all of the same situations with less risk and to more reward.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't like Roy's dair as a kill move except for flash as it's very satisfying. Flare blade is my go to after offstage fair as even if it won't outright kill the risk is much lower and puts them in a terrible position.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Roys dtilt actually isnt effective versus CCing at all unfortunatly. i used to think that it might have enough base KB to be decent against it, but i tested it, and even lightweights like falco can CC it until 70%. the only tools roy has to deal with CCing are his grab and upsmash, which can actually be useful because of his good DACUS, its multi hit properties, good combo potential (on FFers almost any time, or any one else at low percents), and its extremely difficult to SDI.
His up-smash (8 Smash) . . . really? I almost see no use for the attack, I don't hate it, but it just feels so impractical.
Yeah, I don't like Roy's dair as a kill move except for flash as it's very satisfying. Flare blade is my go to after offstage fair as even if it won't outright kill the risk is much lower and puts them in a terrible position.
Let me edit myself earlier, I feel the Dair isn't really a kill option but a great way to keep your opponent grounded, or at the very least set up for a combo with it, you just need to know how to fast-fall. I do it all the time. I wish I could find more players though, my only occasional opponent is a friend from college but we never talk, and for some reason not that popular down at the college.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i actually find good use for the upsmash. roy has a good DACUS, so despite the fact that a standing up smash has very limited horizontal reach, the slide from the DACUS makes up for it. Like i said, it also beats CCing, is incredibly tough to DI, and yields you pretty good reward. i havent seen roy players use it all that much, but if youd like some good examples to see how a DACUS of this type is useful, just check out strong bads wario, whos upsmash is functionally the same thing. He makes relatively frequent use of it since the maneuver is so quick.

another note on dair, its actually a pretty good kill move on floaties if you hit them on the ground. kills mewtwo on battlefied under 110%. i was quite surprised when i got my friend with it earlier today. roy is such a great character against floaties. nobody else in the game can combo them like he does.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I like Roy's Up smash at low% vs fast fallers. It is good set up into up air.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i feel like everything is designed to lead into uair. dtilt, dash attack, utilt, upsmash (character dependent), dair.. like half of roys moveset is a combo starter.

another thing i realized earlier when playing is that utilt is a great move to compliment cross ups. it comes out on frame 4 behind him, which can snag someone right out of any OOS attempts they might make. not to mention its combo potential and overall coverage that can benefit things like platform pressure/tech coverage, or anti air. at first i thought it was an ok move, but now im starting to think that its actually quite integral in many MUs.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
yeah i feel like everything is designed to lead into uair. dtilt, dash attack, utilt, upsmash (character dependent), dair.. like half of roys moveset is a combo starter.

another thing i realized earlier when playing is that utilt is a great move to compliment cross ups. it comes out on frame 4 behind him, which can snag someone right out of any OOS attempts they might make. not to mention its combo potential and overall coverage that can benefit things like platform pressure/tech coverage, or anti air. at first i thought it was an ok move, but now im starting to think that its actually quite integral in many MUs.
I also need to use more tilts. Like, I know how awesome ftilt and utilt are, but I kinda fail at using them since I'm so predisposed to smashing. The only tilt I really use is dtilt, since I'm so used to playing Melee Roy. It's also the easiest tilt to pull off. Ftilt has so much range and is such a good move to keep the kids away, but I just can't do it that easily.

Vicas

Smash Rookie
I also need to use more tilts. Like, I know how awesome ftilt and utilt are, but I kinda fail at using them since I'm so predisposed to smashing. The only tilt I really use is dtilt, since I'm so used to playing Melee Roy. It's also the easiest tilt to pull off. Ftilt has so much range and is such a good move to keep the kids away, but I just can't do it that easily.
It really requires a lot of self control, since I'm so used to just slamming the side button as quickly as I can as far as I can. What I found for ftilt is that if you just start out slowly and get Roy into his walking animation you can push the stick the rest of the way and he'll continue walking and you can ftilt out of it at any point. Obviously it isn't as fast as just tilting and it telegraphs the move pretty badly, but it was a good way for me to start mixing it into my play and remember I had it.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
I highly recommend taking advantage of all your tilts in neutral. I'm pretty convinced You have a better set of tilts than marth does. ftilt and utilt have more coverage, and dtilt has way more reward. jab is also actually pretty good as a defensive option. Other than usmash Roy's smashes aren't too useful in neutral.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I think that in general, Roy is very well-balanced. There might need to be something done to make up meteor actually kill people off stage (One can get back from it at crazy high percents), and there are minor tweaks to be done here and there.

If anything, the balance issues might be more with other characters than Roy himself. Well, this is an alpha, and I think that Roy will solidify his place as a tournament staple more and more.

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
I think that in general, Roy is very well-balanced. There might need to be something done to make up meteor actually kill people off stage (One can get back from it at crazy high percents), and there are minor tweaks to be done here and there.

If anything, the balance issues might be more with other characters than Roy himself. Well, this is an alpha, and I think that Roy will solidify his place as a tournament staple more and more.
I think it was in the marth threads where I heard it but I cant find the post to save my life, but it went something like this: "[character which im 90% sure is marth] is a decent character in a game with many better-than-decent characters" and I feel this carries over to Roy as well. I always feel like roy has the potential to be really storng, but currently, characters like link / ivysaur / falco (whom i concider roys hardest matchups with my limited experience) have a really strong of a zoning game backed by a fair-better-than-average CQC game.

In otherwords, I definitely think Roy is balanced where he is now, and like vigilante said, any issues are probably other characters.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I have always thought and will always believe that Roy is in a great place and is just very underrated. I mean did anyone else watch sethlon's matches on CT stream for mlg this past weekend?? Thats some proof right there

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I have always thought and will always belie ve that Roy is in a great place and is just very underrated. I mean did anyone else watch sethlon's matches on CT stream for mlg this past weekend?? Thats some proof right there
I agree with you all. Roy feels absolutely perfect. He's so satisfying to play. And yeah, Sethlon is the bomb.com.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I wouldn't go as far as to say he's perfect; nothing really is, but he seems to have struck gold in the sense that people like playing as him and against him.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I think Roy is one of the better designed Characters. Watching Sethlon use him is inspiring.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i agree in that his design is quite good. He sits as a character that must make a careful approach in neutral, as being to eager or over agressive will get you punised. I wouldnt call his attacks laggy, but a few of them are by no means unpunishable at all, which can give him some relative difficulty getting in on some characters. He has great tools for bait and punish though, and the options he does have in neutral can be quite rewarding for him. Once hes in, hes a powerhouse (this is well known). A careless neutral game leads to the clear exploit of his falling speed and short recovery, although he can be difficult to edge guard.

I think i might like to see a slight weight increase to help his survivability just a tad, or maybe increase his fast fall speed to give him that extra bit of speed going along with the notion of a combo hard/get comboed hard kind of character. in terms of his moveset though, i think hes great right where he is.

Top Bottom