• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's crouch cancel

nicholisk

Smash Rookie
I have been playing PM for a few months now and I cannot figure out Roy's crouch cancel. It seems like if you hit him with most attacks when he is crouch cancelling he doesn't move when that happens with other characters they do. What makes it better than other crouch cancels.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
the effectiveness of a characters crouch cancel is based off of a few things: for one, their weight is what determines how long they can CC for. heavier characters sustain less KB from attacks, and thus can CC for longer than lighter characters can. another factor is the quality of the move they will follow up a CC with. characters like captain falcon dont always get much use from CCing because, although relatively heavy, he doesnt really have any moves that are good to follow up with. his dtilt is pretty slow and weak, and doesnt really set up as well as other things do. all of his smashes are quite slow. his grab range is short. his down b can be used for it, but it doesnt really net him all that much reward too often, especially when the opponent is at a low percent.

when applying these concepts to roy, he is relatively lightweight, but his dtilt is quick and ranged enough that it makes for good use in CCing. it also is one of roys best set ups, and is in fact one of the best set ups of that type in the game, period. this means that roy gets a lot of benefit from CCing into his dtilt, as opposed to other characters that dont get as much benefit. he can also CC into dsmash which can be great for a killer if the opponent is at slightly higher percents, and it also comes out a couple frames quicker than dtilt.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
the effectiveness of a characters crouch cancel is based off of a few things: for one, their weight is what determines how long they can CC for. heavier characters sustain less KB from attacks, and thus can CC for longer than lighter characters can. another factor is the quality of the move they will follow up a CC with. characters like captain falcon dont always get much use from CCing because, although relatively heavy, he doesnt really have any moves that are good to follow up with. his dtilt is pretty slow and weak, and doesnt really set up as well as other things do. all of his smashes are quite slow. his grab range is short. his down b can be used for it, but it doesnt really net him all that much reward too often, especially when the opponent is at a low percent.

when applying these concepts to roy, he is relatively lightweight, but his dtilt is quick and ranged enough that it makes for good use in CCing. it also is one of roys best set ups, and is in fact one of the best set ups of that type in the game, period. this means that roy gets a lot of benefit from CCing into his dtilt, as opposed to other characters that dont get as much benefit. he can also CC into dsmash which can be great for a killer if the opponent is at slightly higher percents, and it also comes out a couple frames quicker than dtilt.
Don't forget dtilt into forward smash can work really well too.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm actually kind of surprised that Roy's CC is beastly in this game, which I just sort of figured out today by accident, especially considering he had one of the absolute worst in Melee. I remember pissing off someone who was playing Ike against my Roy earlier because I kept CCing his jabs. lol

Top Bottom