• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roys combos on stages like Dream land

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
:roymelee:+
=Possible
I want to bring to mind yes Roy is a real bad character but do you think he can be used as a counter pick on stages like Dream land?Reason first of all he has a bad Up air so Maby the little stages on dream land can help him juggle or somethin

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Marth sucks on dreamland so roy sucks even worse on dreamland

/thread

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Just so you know I reported you for doing these on all of my Roy post
I can't get banned for saying a character is bad...

Edit: also this is only the second post of yours I've commented on

And even on the last post I never directly said roy was bad

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I can't get banned for saying a character is bad...

Edit: also this is only the second post of yours I've commented on

And even on the last post I never directly said roy was bad
Not that when ever I mention these character your the first one to say its not possible or something like that to be exact all of them are mostly my posts you hate on

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
So back to the main topic I would like to hear your thoughts and ideas (I'll check tomorrow)

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Just so you know I reported you for doing these on all of my Roy post
C'mon man what is this 4th grade? Welcome to the internet, don't take everything so personally.

As for the stage and Roy. My opinion is definitely no....in fact it's a stage I would ban against any character. Puff, Samus, and Peach would have an extreme advantage.

Yoshi's Island and Battlefield are okay for Roy, that's about it. Every other stage any character has an advantage on him. People incorrectly think FD is good for Roy against fast fallers, but they forget that Roy gets chain grabbed and comboed to death by everyone on FD. Literally I could take someone who had never played a smash game in their life and within 2 days of teaching them a top tier against the MU they would be able 4 stock a Roy on FD that had been playing 2-3 years competitively.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
C'mon many what is this 4th grade? Welcome to the internet, don't take everything so personally.

As for the stage and Roy. My opinion is definitely no....in fact it's a stage I would ban against any character. Puff, Samus, and Peach would have an extreme advantage.

Yoshi's Island and Battlefield are okay for Roy, that's about it. Every other stage any character has an advantage on him. People incorrectly think FD is good for Roy against fast fallers, but they forget that Roy gets chain grabbed and comboed to death by everyone on FD. Literally I could take someone who had never played a smash game in their life and within 2 days of teaching them a top tier against the MU they would be able 4 stock a Roy on FD that had been playing 2-3 years competitively.
Don't take anything personal....srsly you jerks(sry but I have a hard life)Roy is the hardest character to learn and I just hate how people LIKE you come in here and say no he's a bad character I just want to prove he's a good character not be harassed with people saying stuff like C'mon many what is these fourth grade so please STOP!

Edit: plus everyone started with a hate on my post when I try to make Roy look good if itll make all of you complainers stop then I'll stop posting about Roy and get a new main

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Dreamland is Roy's worst stage. He doesn't benefit at all from platforms and it's just not a fun time.

Roy is the hardest character to learn
He's actually really basic.

He has one combo starter, pretty much 2-3 combo extenders, and one finisher that's terribly punishable.

Yoshi is very difficult to use
Bowser is kinda difficult to use
Ness is pretty difficult to use
Mewtwo is pretty... weird to use
Roy is just basic and simple

Also no one who mains roy and has a significant amount of competitive experience/knowledge really thinks he's good.

Hes "OK" at a lower level but gets worse and worse as players get better

Last edited:

Delta Chae

The Observer
Don't take anything personal....srsly you jerks(sry but I have a hard life)Roy is the hardest character to learn and I just hate how people LIKE you come in here and say no he's a bad character I just want to prove he's a good character not be harassed with people saying stuff like C'mon many what is these fourth grade so please STOP!

Edit: plus everyone started with a hate on my post when I try to make Roy look good if itll make all of you complainers stop then I'll stop posting about Roy and get a new main
Having a hard life (If that's even true) is no excuse for acting like a child.

Maining Roy is a depressing prospect. He has no gimmicks that he can exploit against players that don't know the MU like most other low tiers. If you know the Marth MU you know the Roy MU. Roy has absolutely no advantages over Marth.

Roy is a bad character, there's no getting around it. He's combo food, he dies extremely early, his own combo game is nearly non-existent, his neutral options are not only limited they're lackluster at best, he's extremely punishable, his recovery is worse than Marth's (Whose own recovery is questionable as it stands), he's extremely easy to gimp as a result of his bad recovery, do I need to go on?

If you want to play a tournament viable Roy then you'd be better off playing Project M or Smash 4. If you want to main Roy in Melee nobody is going to stop you, just understand that in doing so you are setting yourself up for failure.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Having a hard life (If that's even true) is no excuse for acting like a child.

Maining Roy is a depressing prospect. He has no gimmicks that he can exploit against players that don't know the MU like most other low tiers. If you know the Marth MU you know the Roy MU. Roy has absolutely no advantages over Marth.

Roy is a bad character, there's no getting around it. He's combo food, he dies extremely early, his own combo game is nearly non-existent, his neutral options are not only limited they're lackluster at best, he's extremely punishable, his recovery is worse than Marth's (Whose own recovery is questionable as it stands), he's extremely easy to gimp as a result of his bad recovery, do I need to go on?

If you want to play a tournament viable Roy then you'd be better off playing Project M or Smash 4. If you want to main Roy in Melee nobody is going to stop you, just understand that in doing so you are setting yourself up for failure.
SCREW you I ant acting like a child jerk

Delta Chae

The Observer
SCREW you I ant acting like a child jerk
Sure, yelling and screaming when you're being advised against doing something that would only hurt you isn't acting like a child. Ok. You clearly lack the maturity to be a competitive Smasher or to have any sort of civilized discussion on this matter so I'll make this quick: Roy is a bad character, his hitboxes suck, he's combo food, his frame data is terrible, he's extremely easy to edgeguard, he's extremely easy to gimp, his combo game is nearly non-existent, he dies very early and kills very late, and his neutral is depressing.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Link24a is spot on, Roy can absolutely NOT be used as a counter on dreamland. Of all legal maps in the game, dreamland is Roy's worst.

The platforms in no way help Roy with combos. Opponents can escape Roy's combos to the platforms and Roy cannot follow up except with possibly an aerial that can be CCd or shielded. Fastfallers like Fox/Falco/Falcon can use their superior mobility to avoid Roy with the top platform. Characters with good projectiles can harass Roy from afar. Floaty characters like Jiggs/Peach/Samus will NEVER die without being hit by an fsmash at high %s (which will only happen off of a hard read). A captain falcon with his superior movement will easily take stage control from Roy and has an easier time dash dance camping.

The extended blastzones benefit Roy in no way, as his recovery sucks. The increase in the top blastzone negates the effectiveness of Roy's upthrow as a high (very high) % kill move. And the mediocre kb growth on f-smash means you won't get kills with it at lower/mid %s (the only %s where one can reasonably combo into f-smash). The other day, to prove my point I timed a Roy out in friendlies with Peach by getting a lead and camping the top platform.

Dreamland is Roy's worst map by far (should be an autoban for most solo Roy mains in all but the most niche of matchups). If you want a good Roy map, your best bet is going to be Yoshi's or FoD in my opinion. Battlefield is alright, and FD has niche uses. Dreamland is impossible against every relevant character (and many irrelevant ones too).

On a side note, please do not get frustrated if people constantly post about Roy being a bad character. I understand that you are looking for ways to improve the character, but consider that there have been many who have come before you asking the same questions and who have arrived at the same conclusion: Roy sucks.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Link24a is spot on, Roy can absolutely NOT be used as a counter on dreamland. Of all legal maps in the game, dreamland is Roy's worst.

The platforms in no way help Roy with combos. Opponents can escape Roy's combos to the platforms and Roy cannot follow up except with possibly an aerial that can be CCd or shielded. Fastfallers like Fox/Falco/Falcon can use their superior mobility to avoid Roy with the top platform. Characters with good projectiles can harass Roy from afar. Floaty characters like Jiggs/Peach/Samus will NEVER die without being hit by an fsmash at high %s (which will only happen off of a hard read). A captain falcon with his superior movement will easily take stage control from Roy and has an easier time dash dance camping.

The extended blastzones benefit Roy in no way, as his recovery sucks. The increase in the top blastzone negates the effectiveness of Roy's upthrow as a high (very high) % kill move. And the mediocre kb growth on f-smash means you won't get kills with it at lower/mid %s (the only %s where one can reasonably combo into f-smash). The other day, to prove my point I timed a Roy out in friendlies with Peach by getting a lead and camping the top platform.

Dreamland is Roy's worst map by far (should be an autoban for most solo Roy mains in all but the most niche of matchups). If you want a good Roy map, your best bet is going to be Yoshi's or FoD in my opinion. Battlefield is alright, and FD has niche uses. Dreamland is impossible against every relevant character (and many irrelevant ones too).

On a side note, please do not get frustrated if people constantly post about Roy being a bad character. I understand that you are looking for ways to improve the character, but consider that there have been many who have come before you asking the same questions and who have arrived at the same conclusion: Roy sucks.
FD is probably his best stage imo because he can actually combo on it

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
FD is probably his best stage imo because he can actually combo on it
I'd agree for spacies probably (Maybe Falcon too, but I like FoD). Some of the floaty characters that he can't combo anyways are probably best brought to a stage with closer blastzones imo.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I hate to say these but Roy needs someone to play him who knows his meta game unlike sethlon

Delta Chae

The Observer
I hate to say these but Roy needs someone to play him who knows his meta game unlike sethlon
Did you miss the part about Roy being bad? It's not that Roy's metagame is underdeveloped, it's that his metagame isn't deep enough to develop in the first place and don't even try to say that Sethlon doesn't know the Roy metagame. Look at Sethlon in Project M, one of the best Roy players in the world on that platform. Roy's low tournament representation has nothing to do with the state of his metagame and everything to do with how bad he is as a character.

Roy has one combo starter (Down tilt) and 2 combo extenders (Up air, and forward air) and even then he can't extend his combos to allow ridiculous juggles like Marth or pillars like Falco as his moves are too laggy and do not put the opponent in enough hitstun to allow follow-ups. You just need to accept that Roy is bad and while you are completely free to main him you also need to accept the fact that you'll have to pick up a top tier secondary or you'll crash and burn.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Roy doesn't need anyone because he's already had 99% of everything discovered about him. Yoshi was low tier for a while but amsa came around and actually took advantage of his technical stuff and made him viable.

Roy is incredibly basic and quite possibly the most basic and most simple character in the entire game. Sethlon's play up until like 2010 or something really progressed him as much as possible. He's not better in 20xx, he's worse than ever.

LSDX

Wah!
The only characters I can see Roy doing any real damage to on Dreamland would have to be spacies. It's of the few legal stages he can snare them into a chaingrab tech chase considering the platforms sit fairly high, while neutral has plenty of space for play with dtilt. Other than them, everyone else kind of takes a fresh sh¡t on him, but maybe if it's bad for Marth, Roy has nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom