• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Chain Grabs

bicth

Smash Cadet
I've found multiple ways to chain grab with Roy. His up throw is good on spacies and other fast falling fighters at low percentages, and his down throw is good against most low weight fighters at higher percentages. I'm going to explore this more.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Could you be more specific? I've found oddly enough, his chain-grabs seem to only work at mid-range percentages. These could just be one-time instances with the BOTS however.

bicth

Smash Cadet
I'll get more specific when I have people to test it on so they can try to DI out of it. I found this out on training mode against a computer set to run.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I've never had any luck with chain grabs for Dthrow. Upthrow works similar to marth for spacies, and similarly can chaingrab most characters at low percentages with Fthrow.

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
You can generally get fthrow>jc fthrow on most characters at 0 percent. Then after than you can fthrow to ftilt or confuse their DI with a dthrow. You could also start a tech chase from a throw a low percent.

Afro'd_rei

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-3495-7998
I've only used this a few times against a friend's sheik.
Dthrow > one or two Side Bs > Grab > Repeat.
The side b sort of brings them towards you allowing you to get a grab.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
dthrow and fthrow are actually perfect DI mixup throws because of their opposing KB angles and the fact that the animations look almost EXACTLY the same. CGs are guaranteed with them at lower percents i believe, but even into mid percents on nonfloaties you can get regrabs from tricking the opponent into DIing the wrong way.

uthrow obs on super FFers. its even better than marths IMO since it works at 0%, and uair chains build damage better anyways once it stops working, which lead into better things on a whole.

bthrow just sucks imo. even for positioning, id rather just dthrow, then fair them further out to get better damage.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
dthrow and fthrow are actually perfect DI mixup throws because of their opposing KB angles and the fact that the animations look almost EXACTLY the same. CGs are guaranteed with them at lower percents i believe, but even into mid percents on nonfloaties you can get regrabs from tricking the opponent into DIing the wrong way.

uthrow obs on super FFers. its even better than marths IMO since it works at 0%, and uair chains build damage better anyways once it stops working, which lead into better things on a whole.

bthrow just sucks imo. even for positioning, id rather just dthrow, then fair them further out to get better damage.
Back throw isn't so bad for throwing some chars off stage, especially at high percents; it has more KB than dthrow and if they don't DI well it can send them pretty far off at an awkward angle. Plus it's a pretty fast throw so it could catch them off guard when it comes to DI.

Other than that though, you're right, it mostly just sucks.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord

I know in Melee Marth could do that DI mix up on puff. Can Roy do it vs more characters than her?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yup roy can do it on anyone except for FFers (where those throws basically just set up for tech chases). i dont have videos anywhere online unfortunately but you can see sethlon do it quite a lot actually in his videos.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Interesting. That makes Roy's throw game stronger than I thought. I would just fthrow and get what I could but maybe you can mix in dthrow whey they are conditioned to it and get a sweetspot fsmash or something.

Top Bottom