• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs Zelda?

Austin_Le

Smash Rookie
So I'm having a problem with this MU. What I basically do against my friend is back him up against the ledge til I can bait and punish through wave dashing and dash dancing in and out, and I mix it up by going in and throwing off stage and repeating. Zelda's neutral B gets him out of trouble a lot if he's feeling pressured but I could probably do a better job baiting it out. Still trying to integrate OoS wave dashing into my game where it's second nature so I can keep the pressure on him if he's moving around stage a lot. My main problem is Zelda's teleport usually gets him out of trouble and it's hard for me to punish.

Any tips on how I should approach things differently or how I could punish key aspects of Zelda's movesets? I suck at combos against floaty characters or maybe someone could help me with this area too lol

Last edited:

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I haven't played a good Zelda recently but against floaties Roy is going to have a bit of trouble. I tend to approach with Dtilt to be safe. That or if I feel super aggressive I'll go with shffll'd Nairs and try to grab into Uair combo's. As far as her moveset goes I really don't have much advice. Sorry! Nair's OoS are my main option if I don't feel safe with Shield-Grabbing.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Well, if the Zelda is teleporting out of your combos, you need to be able to read where she is going. Every Zelda has a preference as to where they like to teleport. If you can read where they are going, you can punish. And when you punish, you want to punish SO HARD that it makes her not want to teleport EVER AGAIN.

F-throw and D-throw set Zelda up for easy combos (no tech chasing needed since she is so floaty she never touches the ground).

After a very short while, D-tilt will pop Zelda to far up in the air for you to combo, so I would recommend you learn the glory of the U-air. It has very low knock back growth, so it stays useful as a combo starter/continue-er throughout the match. SHFFLed U-airs on non-floaties can lead into just about every move Roy has (including all of his kill moves like F-smash, D-smash, U-smash, B-air, D-air, and grab [Up-throw kills normal weights around 175]). On floaties, however, it leads into itself quite a bit making it so you can actually juggle the floaty (due to it's low knock back growth). Use a few U-airs in a row, then start moving her towards one of the sides of the stage with F-air to put on extra damage and put her in a more precarious postition.
But, like the D-tilt, U-air will also stop combo-ing well at higher percents. Luck for you, that is kill percent. This is where kill options come in. Zelda is weak to VERTICAL knock back. That means that she is really easy to kill off the top. She is weak to D-smash, U-smash, D-air (if she is grounded when you git her), and U-throw. Probably the easiest option to perform is the grab -> U-throw.

Hope this was helpful :cool:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
ShadowGanon pretty much nailed it.

For the Zelda match up, all you'll want to do is F-Throw into Fairs. Just do it over and over again until she gets to kill percentage. You really can't use D-Tilt on her as she easily flies too far at extremely low percentages. You can also do quick F-Throw > SHUFFL Fair > F-Smash as well, which can either serve as a kill option or just a damager. So use:

F-Throw > Fair > Fair > etc (SHUFFL'd of course)
F-Throw > Fair > Flare Blade (at slightly higher percentages)
F-Throw > Fair > F-Smash

Fair's are going to be your bread-and-butter against Zelda. And of course there's the Uair juggles. Floaties are of course the hardest characters to combo but Roy is actually one of the few characters who can combo almost anyone.

And if a Zelda is constantly using neutral B to get out of pressure, then dash out and dash back in once it's over. At lower percentages when Zelda suffers less hit-stun, Zelda will try to Lightning Kick to break your Fair combos. When you are aware of the low hit-stun, F-Throw, Fair, dash back to let the kick wiff and then punish with an F-Smash.

And when she's at kill percentage, try to crouch cancel a dash attack (if they use that) and immediately down Smash. As a huge floaty, Zelda is very easy to kill off the top. Or use D-Smash as a punish. U-Smash can work too but D-Smash just comes out quicker and is easier to land.

Here are some videos of me playing Zelda. The first one was pretty much the first time I ever played one. I'm a bit better than these vids now but they show most of what I was just talking about:

Last edited:

Austin_Le

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the advice! I'll be sure to keep them in mind. The forward throw to fairs are one thing I've learned in the MU.

Something that happens often against my friend is him going to the opposite side of the stage and setting up fire balls everywhere and getting easy damage as I try to get in. Also, he often back throws me off stage then sets up fireballs near the edge which blocks nearly all my options to get back on. I've been trying to get better at sticking close to him so he can't set up fireballs by using moves like d tilt and side B to manuever around quicker if I miss but still come short in the end. Should I just be sticking around the center and avoiding chasing him too close to the edge?

Also, any thoughts on killing with
DED >^^^ variation where it knocks her up?

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Thanks for all the advice! I'll be sure to keep them in mind. The forward throw to fairs are one thing I've learned in the MU.

Something that happens often against my friend is him going to the opposite side of the stage and setting up fire balls everywhere and getting easy damage as I try to get in. Also, he often back throws me off stage then sets up fireballs near the edge which blocks nearly all my options to get back on. I've been trying to get better at sticking close to him so he can't set up fireballs by using moves like d tilt and side B to manuever around quicker if I miss but still come short in the end. Should I just be sticking around the center and avoiding chasing him too close to the edge?

You can actually just extinguish the dins by jabbing them with Roy's sword. So just jab them or Fair them and they'll go away, then approach. If he sets up dins near the ledge, then by all means, hit them. They don't much damage and they reset your Up-B, so it's better to just hit them instead of trying to avoid them and end up killing yourself.

You can be near the edge of the stage if you carried Zelda there, but if a Zelda is camping near a ledge, I wouldn't advise approaching her, as obviously they're trying to back-throw you. If they simply refuse to move from the spot though, just go in with a grab and ONLY a grab. Zelda's love to grab OoS, so they're always waiting for an attack to hit their shield so they can grab you. So you can either just dash up to her or do an empty hop into a grab and turn her position against her by getting her off-stage with an F-Throw and two Fairs (or a Fair with a Flare Blade)

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
The problem with that is that it is very situational. You're hardly ever going to get all four hits out without the Zelda either seeing it coming and moving out of the way or hitting you out of it.

You can also mix up the F-throw -> F-air combos with doing F-throw -> N-airs. I've been able to chain them together pretty well at low-mid percents and I'm pretty sure it does more damage than F-throw -> F-air.

Top Bottom