• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs ike? Need help on this mu.

Thegopher

Smash Cadet
My friend has recently been besting me in this matchup. He always ends up shield grabbing me/f-smashing edge/Scaring me with quickdraw.
My questions are... What are roy's safest moves on shields? What is the best way to avoid quickdraw (attack form)? What stages should I counterpick against him? Whats the mu ratio? Also would just like general tips.
Thanks!
-Qix

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
In my personal opinion, Roy's safest move on shield really is grab (Just to clarify you mean, when you're shielding or he's shielding?). I mean, I know grabs sound a bit silly, but a lot of Roy's standalone moves are not very safe at all, he can get punished very easily for missing one of those hits. There's a reason he's a combo character.
But, when you're feeling shield pressure try to wavedash out of shield or short-hop and use a forward air [Make sure to L-cancel it]. And, don't hesitate to be quite afraid of the quickdraw: it's an attack with arguably too much potential. He can do almost anything he wants out of it, and that in my opinion is pretty ridiculous. And don't try to counter it very much since he can grab out of quickdraw too, counter really is just intended for situations when they're trying to recover and you think you can intercept that recovery and kill with the counter.
As for things like stage counterpicks and MU, you're going to have ask someone else, sorry.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
  • In my experiences is all about grabing and zoning with Dtilts and Ftilts.
  • Side-b as an anti air an sometimes help if he tries doing some crossover stuff with quickdraw.
  • Its really important to just stay mobile and reactionary to what he's trying to do.
  • Ikes typically approach with quickdraw into a grab, reverse bair, or approach with a nair. usually you always have time to shield and quick dashdance grab or Dtilt unless he Nair>jabs at low percents.
  • Fair can still wall him out a bit.
  • His Dthrow sends you behind him so be sure to test DI with that. Upthrow you typically want to DI up and away from him.
  • when recovering look out for his Dtilt, Fair and Dair
  • Overall be patient and punish when you get an opening
  • When it comes to stages its about opening up options for you. This means pick stages with some platforms to waveland on to and maneuver around him for defense and juggle him when it comes to being offensive. I'd probably take him to stages like PS2, dreamland, FoD, or warioware and avoid FD, GHZ, and yoshi story/yoshi's island (brawl).

Last edited:

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
I've actually been playing this MU a lot lately and I had some troubles early on until I adapted my gameplay. You have to go against some conventional Roy playstyle stuff, such as playing overly patient waiting for your opponent to approach. Rush him down. Full screen Quickdraw is pretty daunting, especially on a stage with less than three platforms, so you don't want to be dash dancing around the stage waiting for him to do something because he has infinitely more options out of QD than you do DD/wavedash; you have way less time to react to a charged QD from Ike than he does a DD approach Roy. If you stick close to him, he won't have time to fully utilize QD. If he spams QD as an approach, shffl Nair can help cover that option. It covers a lot of space and has a long active hitbox and will beat out QD since the hitbox only comes out once he's right next to you. You can edge-guard Ike fairly easily just by charging Flare Blade at the side of the stage. Just make sure you're standing far away enough not to get clipped by Aether. One big thing with Ike is knowing how to DI his grabs. For instance, if he backthrows you and you DI towards him, you will get bair'd and most likely die.

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I'd definitely agree with being more patient. Ike happens to be a very slow character other then moves like quickdraw. What i've found is staying far away and waiting for ike to come to me so that I can dictate the terms of the match. when your across the stage quickdraw is easier to see coming and easier to punish because you will have more time to come up with a clever plan. If he has stage control and he doesnt wanna rush you then getting an ike player to think he can get away with a move through baiting gives you a chance to start comboing. Personally I like to move around outside of his range of attacks until I can bait something if he wont come to me, once you have baited him, get a solid combo in and find a safe route away. Ike doesn't want you in his face as roy and he can hit you away so being prepared for that can lead to you getting more follow-ups while taking less damage (remember, knowing that your opponent is going to attack is an advantage). If your hitting him and you know hes got a chance to nair you away then move outside the hitbox and punish ike's whiffed nair. If he has a tendency to throw out a move when you rush in then use that. Ike wants to keep roy at a certain distance so if you either get him to rush you or bait out a defensive attack then that's generally a good opportunity to get in and give him a good dtilt to uair combo. to put it simply bait and wait options can help and giving them a chance to attack isn't always bad because if you can make them panic they will most likely throw out a move to reset to neutral so he can begin his normal game plan so avoid the attack (or counter if you feel confident it will work) and continue the pressure.

There's a youtube video that metroid did about how to play ike. He points out some weaknesses in it that you may be able to use so search that.

Ike has some good defense options because of his wide swinging hitboxes, so knowing when to get out is important. But, as with most heavyweights I find that you can run circles around them. I think that quickdraw isnt as scary as its made out to be; just because he has quickdraw doesnt mean hes got better movement then you. It presents some interesting options but if your ready for it then its punishable.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Let ike come to you. You don't have to approach and this is one of the only matchups you aren't rewarded very much for approaching.

Space with ftilt and d-tilt and when you have an opening combo and don't stop comboing until he is dead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom