• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy SHFFL

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
I use Roy as my pocket and I was wondering what is the best option for multiple SHFFL's in a row for Roy? And why?

I personally prefer Fair or Nair but I don't know if one is much better than the other for this purpose.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
To be overly into detail on his kit...

• Fair: Walling out/zoning and approaching
  • Nair: commanding space and can interrupt lots of approaches. Use offensively when continuing combos on platforms or for crossups, defensively when they're crossing you up or you need to get them out of your personal bubble.
  • Uair: Any time they're above you. Crossover aerials; Theres a small hitbox in front of Roy when you use Uair if you SHFFL it. The hitpops them up a little bit to where you can go for Dtilt, Grab, or DED followup.
  • Dair: Dropping through platforms, Ledgehop Dair on people trying to recover, converting an aerial combo into a tech chase by sweet spotting the Dair.
  • Bair: Typically the finisher move. Sometimes has niche usefulness in other places when dropping platforms in the neutral. Dtilt into Bair at 50-90% is a solid followup.
Everything has different uses, so choose accordingly i guess...As for multiple SHFFL's in a row i think Fair makes the most sense, but i wouldnt really be spamming SHFFLs anyway since it's predictable and can put you in a pretty bad position if you get caught in an aerial.

Last edited:

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Awesome, another question though. At low percents where Bair isn't a finisher or a follow up (0-40%) what is the best option out of dtilt?

I think I usually throw out Fairs but if there is something that covers more options it would be most helpful.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Awesome, another question though. At low percents where Bair isn't a finisher or a follow up (0-40%) what is the best option out of dtilt?

I think I usually throw out Fairs but if there is something that covers more options it would be most helpful.
It depends on their percent and fall speed. With fastfallers, often SHFFL fair is best. For lighter enemies, it's often easy to do a fullhop and fair then uair or do a second fair in the same jump, allowing you to continue the combo with either another aerial or another tilt. You can also start an uair juggle out of a dtilt. If they DI far outwards, maybe a SHFFL nair would cover enough range to hit them, but nair doesn't really combo into much else.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
You can do 2 fairs in one full jump? I thought that was a marth thing because he's a bit floatier? Looks like I'll have to try with Roy again.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
what you do out of Dtilt depends on where you are and what you're trying to do. If you want to hit them horizontally or zone them from the center of the stage/get them offstage go with Fair. If they DI away to the side then Fair would also be the answer. If they DI up or if they are more floaty you can get off an Uair>Utilt most the time.

You have a lot of options at low percents though with Dtilt since it will literally combo into anything with roy. I'd say just play around with the different possibilities.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
I can see my opponents DI after I've racked up percent and I've hit them off stage and I observe them falling back to the stage without use of a air jump or recovery move. However, when at lower percents, I am unable to immediately read the trajectory of my opponents DI. How do I master this? Is it just practicing faster reflexes? Or is it just like tech chasing where you just guess?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
It's less about trying to read and react to their DI honestly...Dtilt will always pop them up at a spot where you can get. Focus less on the DI and anticipate what to do next based on their percentage points and mostly their weight/fall speed. Falcon, Fox, falco, roy, and other fast fallers you'll typically be left with Fair as the only option you can hit them with before they hit the ground. Most lighter characters like Peach, ivysaur, ness, puff, kirby, etc. will give you the option of Uair out of Dtilt even at lower percentages. All this is stuff you get better at by just playing and experiencing it yourself honestly.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
To piggyback off of what azure said, the dair actually has a lot of possible uses as a result of the multiple hitboxes. While it isn't the best to shuffle, it is possible to pop people up with it and get follow ups such as a bair or even fsmash. Ledgehop dair is great if you are going for the old meteor hitbox (now a spike :D ), but don't disregard the hitboxes at the tip of the sword that can bat people away at a semi-spike angle making it impossible to recover.

Good dair use really helps separate the good Roy's from the great. You might try going into the new debug mode to see the individual hitboxes and get a feel for the kb of each.

I know this response isn't necessarily directed towards SHFFLing the dair. The situations in which you would do so are limited, but SHFFL dair OoS is a decent option for opponents behind the shield (granted this is very punishable, but still an option worth noting). I have occasionally managed to reverse momentum by landing a shffl dair to hit a pursuing opponent and pop them up, but this is rarely a good option as if the opponent had known I was going to opt for a dair they could have easily punished.

98+% of the time you're going to be using fair or nair in the neutral game and I think azure covered the uses of each very well already. Just thought I'd share a little bit about how I try to use the dair.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Thanks NIFOFD & Azure, all help is appreciated. Since i don't really have quite the grasp on him bc hes not my main, its good to hear advice from ppl who play him reguarly.

Top Bottom