• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy matchup help?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Hey Squirtle boards, I'm a long time player of Project M, and I play a lot of characters. But, for 3.5 I decided to hunker down and pick a couple of mains, and Squirtle was at the top of my list. Love the guy, he's fast and fun, but a bit fragile. I would love to become proficient with Squirtle, but a couple of things are holding me back. Namely, the Roy matchup.

Now, with sword wielding characters in general, I have issues getting in, but Roy especially gives me a hard time. Nothing seems safe, and if I whiff near him he gets a huge punishing forward smash that kills at like 60%. I try to dance around and respect his range, but I can't get meaningful hit confirms without getting smacked at the end of my combo. Considering how much easier he can kill me, this is a dilemma. Any tips for this one? My Dedede does a bit better, but I can't let this get in the way of my improvement.

Any tips are great, even stage picks or throw setups or whatever. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mr. Fabulous

Smash Cadet
Bubble is a good option to outspace a lot of Roy's moves. Don't get above him. Bait out his attacks. Get him off-stage and gimp.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
I pocket Roy. My advice is to shield grab when Roy opts for a sweetspotted fsmash. Punish with some combo and then keep him from touching the ground with up smash.

strobe

Smash Rookie
water gun is the best tool vs. characters with disjointed hitboxes imo

i have a lot of trouble with this matchup but if you have your tech skill down slingjump water gun is probably the best approach option

other things i try are hydropivot dsmash/shield but if he grabs you or gets a knockdown and reads your tech you're in a pretty bad place

Top Bottom