• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Grab Range

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Whats the difference between jump cancel grab and dash grab?

I know that dash grab has more end lag, but does it have more range? I know JC grab comes out faster, but does it have less range?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
When you Jump cancel grab you slide forward slightly depending on the traction of your character and has less end lag so less likely to get punished since Roy's dash grab has slightly more end lag than his standard

forbidden12

Smash Cadet

I know that dash grab has more end lag, but does it have more range? I know JC grab comes out faster, but does it have less range?

When you Jump cancel grab you slide forward slightly depending on the traction of your character and has less end lag so less likely to get punished since Roy's dash grab has slightly more end lag than hIs standard grab

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
I believe that JC grab actually has slightllllyyyy less range than a dash grab but is still considered the superior option as it comes out faster (by like 2 frames for Roy I think...?) and also has wayyy less end lag. A JC grab is statistically the same as a standing grab (because basically what you are doing is making Roy do a standing grab out of a dash instead of the usual dash grab).

Your alternative grab is the boost grab (sometimes called a dashattack cancelled grab) which is where you dash attack and instantly press the grab button. It has a lot more range, but has the slower start up time (same as a dash grab) and has the same end lag as a dash grab.

Most people exclusively use the JC grab in place of all other grabs, but there are some niche situations where the boost grab might get the grab when a JC might not. A character like jigglypuff can crouch under you standing grab (and JC grab) and rest you for it, but your dash grab (or boost grab) should go low enough to get the grab. I think kriby can duck standing grabs too (cannot confirm).

Other than those rare situations, you basically want to always JC grab.

Also Marth (and Roy's I think) dash grab had its range reduced in the 3.5 patch, so it might not even be better anymore depending on how much the range was nerfed.

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
I believe that JC grab actually has slightllllyyyy less range than a dash grab but is still considered the superior option as it comes out faster (by like 2 frames for Roy I think...?) and also has wayyy less end lag. A JC grab is statistically the same as a standing grab (because basically what you are doing is making Roy do a standing grab out of a dash instead of the usual dash grab).

Your alternative grab is the boost grab (sometimes called a dashattack cancelled grab) which is where you dash attack and instantly press the grab button. It has a lot more range, but has the slower start up time (same as a dash grab) and has the same end lag as a dash grab.

Most people exclusively use the JC grab in place of all other grabs, but there are some niche situations where the boost grab might get the grab when a JC might not. A character like jigglypuff can crouch under you standing grab (and JC grab) and rest you for it, but your dash grab (or boost grab) should go low enough to get the grab. I think kriby can duck standing grabs too (cannot confirm).

Other than those rare situations, you basically want to always JC grab.

Also Marth (and Roy's I think) dash grab had its range reduced in the 3.5 patch, so it might not even be better anymore depending on how much the range was nerfed.
I usually JC grab since it's become second nature. I even jump then grab even when I'm not moving. I don't really boost grab though..

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
I usually JC grab since it's become second nature. I even jump then grab even when I'm not moving. I don't really boost grab though..
I think most people don't ever boost grab. The vast majority of the time a jc grab is the better option. Still, don't disregard it.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
a dash grab has more disjointed range. but a JC grab will net you a very similar range due to the slide, if not a greater range. just dont use dash grab.. its not worth it. stick to the JCs. roy has the second longest grab in the game, and below average traction so JC grabs are very critical to his play.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
if you read the post i told you about in the zelda boards (with the link i posted), youll notice thats the same terminology that was used. there's a few ways you can measure grab ranges: you can measure the distance from TopN; you can measure the overall width of the grab bubbles combined; or you can measure from the farthest point on the front of a characters body that can be hit by something, which is the method that the "meaningful" list uses. i only use that term in quotes because its the same terminology that magus used in the post. as a lead developer of PM, and the creator of debug mode, id like to think he knows what hes talking about, and im only trying to spread knowledge and fix misinformation. i used to think bowser and DK actually had long range grabs, but when looked at from this perspective, you see that its not quite the case. my post wasnt supposed to be a passive aggressive shot, just a straightforward one to clear up something.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub

Dash grab used to have more range, I believe it has the same range as a regular grab, I'm not entirely certain however.

Top Bottom