• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Edgeguarding for Dummies, By RagnaRoK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Roy Edgeguarding. There's actually a different number of ways to edgeguard with Roy, and all of them risk you dying, not because they won't connect, but because timing is critical. These are also all good Marth Killers, also one is known as the "RoK spike" (Used a lot, but I'm renaming it cause I'm he only one I've seen do it with Roy.) Also, other things such as the psuedo spike, and Rokimaze (RoK-e-Mah-Zay) otherwise, Suicidal guards that are sure to kill, Let me explain.

From Stage Edgeguards

Double edge dance to the very last hit, with proper-timing, can connect and kill someone who is trying to grab the stage, or, messes up a sweet spot and goes too far past the edge. Proper-timing, and dexterity of the double edge dance is required. Also, if you can, notice how they jump and get ready.

Double Edge dance, last hit but the down combination. You can use your down move to stop people, also goes a little bit below the stage. This also pushes them away a bit and may force them to jump again, giving you the opportunity for a forward smash.

Regular charged B - Good against gannons and captain falco's that can't sweet spot. Also good against fox/falco's illusion moves. Make sure you hit with the tip, as it pushes them outwards, don't try to use the sweet spotted part of Roys blade.

Regular charged b - Jump out and hold it a sec and use it. Best used as a mind game, as you can turn around from a back jumping position and use it. I suggest wave dashing backwards, then jumping and turning around and using it. Great for people with medium-hight damage.

Forward Air - Can be used to slightly push them back, and if you know what you're doing and they're close enough to landing, you can do this twice before having to jump back (One time per jump, using both of them). Gotta know what the hell you're doing.

Back air to forward air - You can jump off the stage and back air, if you do it right, you'll be getting out your back air at the peak of the jump, and can turn around in the air to do your forward air and make it back o the stage. Practice is required to land this move.

Can be preformed by holding onto the edge, jump off from holding the edge, and then attack, and grab it. Situational, high risk of dying, yet effective, all require immediate use, and then use of Up+B.

Nuetral B turn around. - Push back to lightly fall and then tap jump, lightly tilt the control stick in the opposite direction towards opponent, flare blade and then immediately up b to get back to the stage, should connect and barely reach the stage.

Back air - If you push back lightly and fall, jump to get maximum height, you will be able to back air and then horizontal up b to make it back. This messes up a lot of Marth's and other players, use this with caution.

At medium-High percents these are definately killers of your opponent... and yourself.

Double back air - Jump off the stage and back air, once it connects, jump again and wait for the right time to back air them again. Fall to death.

Down air (from holding edge) - You can do this either getting on the stage (If you do it right and they're a little above you, it can spike down as fast as marth's, little something I learned and I call it "teh RoK Spike". ) Or, you can do it going outwards, and have the very end of the sword hit when its being swung around (going out) and it knocks your opponent a good distance away.

Full double edge dance from air - Must be on a stage with platforms, Wave dash and jump off the heighest one that you can get off stage with, use double edge dance as fast as you can, if done right, can connect with the final one and kill.

(Risky) DED mid-air spike. - Use the double edge dance, third input as up and you can attempt a meteor spike. The reason this is risky, you have to hit witht he middle of the blade nearly perfectly, and then again its easier to meteor cancel. Most effective after the Kami-Kaze move above, as they will be expecting different. Its possible to make it back from this move, but not very likely.

Flare blade of doom - If you opponent is a good ways off stage, double full jump, and hit them with flare blade, killing any hope they made of had of their jump and up b saving them.

Well, I hope this has been helpful to all you ROY MAINS. Out there. Got some **** to say, we can say it, but don't knock it till you've tried it.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
WTF!?!?! you're back?! i thought sintenal got rid of you for good. but whatever.

1. why use ded to edgeguard when you can just use flare blade.
2. your use of dair for meteors is like trying to tell 5150 stop flaming people, IT WONT WORK. its impractical, the hitbox is tiny, and you'll probably die using it.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
But dair spikes are so fun...

Actually, you can make it back to the edge from a full DED combo, if you do it off a platform and time it all right. Testing it out, i've even came back on corneria on the right side, jumping off the little hump in the engine.

A favorite of mine has always been just running off the edge and flare blading quickly. Its fast and hits way below the stage, and if you time everything right you can still make it back.

But all the high risk stuff still poses a large risk of you ****ing up ever so slightly and dying, so i'd never try any of it unless im in the lead.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
No Duh

WTF!?!?! you're back?! i thought sintenal got rid of you for good. but whatever.

1. why use ded to edgeguard when you can just use flare blade.
2. your use of dair for meteors is like trying to tell 5150 stop flaming people, IT WONT WORK. its impractical, the hitbox is tiny, and you'll probably die using it.
Dude, You're an idiot, if you do the same thing over and over, they come to expect it. And for #2, Its a risky guard, but can be done, has been done IF YOU PRACTICE, ENOUGh. And know which chars to pull it off on. Plus, I said its also another use for it, Read before you flame dumb ***. And no I'm not gone, I'm like a cockroach,, I'm EVERYWHERE.
But dair spikes are so fun...

Actually, you can make it back to the edge from a full DED combo, if you do it off a platform and time it all right. Testing it out, i've even came back on corneria on the right side, jumping off the little hump in the engine.

A favorite of mine has always been just running off the edge and flare blading quickly. Its fast and hits way below the stage, and if you time everything right you can still make it back.

But all the high risk stuff still poses a large risk of you ****ing up ever so slightly and dying, so i'd never try any of it unless im in the lead.
Yup, But that what makes it fun if you can consistently land all of it. I still need a rematch against you Sethlon, I came close to winnning the Tournament for Dallas, UTD Zac took me out with Peach, **** laggy T.V's, I was in the Semi-Finals.
But, I stole some of your moves and up'd my arsenal, basically, the D-tilts while wave dashing forward and backwards, and using DED in a lot of offensive tactics, and the grab spam, OH the grab spam. Over all, I've improved, I look forward to playing you again.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
lolz, you take things too seriously. i wasnt flaming, i was making a point. and theres no need to call me a dumb ***. as for edgeguarding, i always just mix flare blade in with some edgehogging to throw my sweetspotting opponents off. and the dair can be meteor canceled anyways.

Banned via Administration
ragnarok ur a *******. srsly you r terrible @ this game dont post ever again.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Dtilt can prevent sweetspots and lead into an fsmash. Or if you're patient enough, you can try that weird usmash spike.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Oh Noez Lyk I'm Sorreh.

ragnarok ur a *******. srsly you r terrible @ this game dont post ever again.
Says the person who never fought me, whose only known for his PMS like attitude on the boards. Who hasn't won anything major, and who no one really gives a flying **** about. Seriously,if you need some midol to control your menopause, PMS, or whatever makes the blood shoot out your ****** and ****s with your brain. Let me know,I'll be happy to wire you some money Ms.51

Smash Master
Lol @ trying to land dair spike as an edgeguard. That's like telling a jiggs to edgeguard with rest.

Metà

Smash Master
I didn't really read the guide at all, so I don't think I should be commenting here, but I couldn't help but notice the title. The "Dummies" part is a given, and should not need mentioning in the title, since all Roy players are dummies; if they weren't, they wouldn't be using Roy in the first place.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Roy Counters All! Ftw.

of you could just fsmash the edge. that works.
Roys F-Smash only works if they over jump just a little bit, Flare blade would be better, depending on the situation since it goes slightly through the stage and doesn't have as much lag time as his F-Smash, allowing you to escape quicker. But yes, one kick *** edgeguard.

Lol @ trying to land dair spike as an edgeguard. That's like telling a jiggs to edgeguard with rest.
You don't even main Roy, so how the hell are you going to tell someone that mains him what works and doesn't work for Roy? Hell, have you even tried to do the **** yet? If not, the STFU.

I didn't really read the guide at all, so I don't think I should be commenting here, but I couldn't help but notice the title. The "Dummies" part is a given, and should not need mentioning in the title, since all Roy players are dummies; if they weren't, they wouldn't be using Roy in the first place.
I'm betting I could take yo *** down, simple. "All Roy Players are Dummies", how about you suck at this game, suck at life, and thats why no one knows who YOU are. Everyone in my state has at least heard of me, in one way or another, and I've been steadily climbing in tournament placings, most recent being third/Fourth at MGC. So maybe its not Roy that sucks, but just the people who are so used to playing with high tier they got lazy and forot how the hell to play.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
RoK is ****in back lol. n mane how u gonna give a guide about edge guards n u only do it 2 ways. u either charge up your b or forward smash.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
gonna close this before it turns into another useless flame war

*edit*

if you want the thread reopened ragna when you are unbanned, PM me dont make a new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom